The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

What did they do time zone wise about that Gustafsson-Rumble FOX show in Sweden, I can't remember? Didn't they start the show late in Sweden to accommodate FOX airing it at prime time in America? Maybe they'll try that again. Or it'll be a Fight Pass job.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What did they do time zone wise about that Gustafsson-Rumble FOX show in Sweden, I can't remember? Didn't they start the show late in Sweden to accommodate FOX airing it at prime time in America? Maybe they'll try that again. Or it'll be a Fight Pass job.

They started it late at like 3am Sweden time. That won't happen here though, we've got to many legal issues in place and the last thing they'll want is a ton of MMA fans in Manc having an exscuse to get pissed all day and night till silly o'clock watching fights. Other thing with the Sweden show was it was for a title shot, no belt was on the line.

From what I've read a lot of people seem to think Hendo/Bisping 2 will be a big money spinner on PPV. Maybe they just bite the bullet and throw a solid card for the show and go with a special start time. 10pm our time would still be 5pm ok the est coast. Not terrible.

It's funny, if it wasn't Hendo we're talking about. I think the UFC and Bisping would get a ton of shit for this bit of matchmaking. The champ basically handpicking his opponent, and the UFC bypassing several legitimate contenders to appease him. An older fighter who's just about done in the sport, with a less than stellar record.

Bit like Robbie Lawler saying, "Nah, fuck Wonderboy and Rory, give me Mike Pyle next."

But hey, H-Bomb and all that. Would love to see him turn back the clock and land it to win the belt before he hangs them up. But I really dislike this as a title fight when Jacare, Weidman, Rockhold, Romero or basically anyone in the top 10 deserve it more.

Haven't seen any fans calling for Hendo vs Bisping II either. In fact, what I've seen the most after Hendo beat Lombard was, "alright, that's the perfect way to wrap up a career, hang 'em up."

Henderson/Pyle is a bloody awful comparison to make.

Obviously many are more deserving of the title shot but what you're forgetting is that this is due to happen in October. Jacare and Weidman have both recently had surgery (Weidman isn't fully confident of being ready for MSG in November), Romero is suspended and Rockhold just got knocked out with little demand to see an immediate rematch. Maia already has a fight booked too.

Henderson is fortunate of timing and of having one of the most famous KO's in UFC history over the current champ. Doesn't hurt that demand will be big for it too.

• Moderators

Yeah, for better or worse UFC is a business and not a sporting body, so the most profitable opponent will always get the fight over one which is the most deserving but box office. Everyone knows this. Or at least should by now.  Hendo/Bisping is currently the biggest drawing MW title fight they can do so they'll do it.

Ah, didn't know about the surgeries, and thought Romero got cleared of his suspension. It makes slightly more sense if those three aren't available.

Yeah, Pyle wasn't a great example. Was just looking for a veteran name with a bad recent record. Just saw Pyle get KOed so he's fresh in my mind. Maybe Lil Nog at 205 then? 

EDIT: Butch. yeah I know but it still irks me when things like this are so far out of left field. The guy that should have rode off into the sunset with an improbable win now has a title shot. And I like Hendo. But he's 2-7 in his last nine fights.

• Paid Members

I don't even care myself. I just want to see Hendo get his moment. It'd be a shame if it's at the expense of Bisping and cuts his reign short but Hendo was one of my early favourites before I'd even heard the name Michael Bisping. I'd love to see him win that UFC title then retire. I know it'd leave the middleweight division in limbo but it'd be worth it to see probably the best MMA retirement ever. And it'd be Hendo all over if he won the belt then just said 'my work here is done' and casually plodded off into the sunset. UFC title on one arm, wife half his age on the other.

Like Butch said, it's a business and Bisping vs Hendo 2 is the fight to make at 185 at the moment interest wise, I think. I can only speak for on here as I don't really venture anywhere else for MMA discussion these days, but post-UFC 199 the suggestions for a Bisping vs Hendo 2 title fight were met with pretty much unanimous positivity. It's already got the built in story of the first fight and probably the most watched KO in UFC history tied into it. Plus Hendo's talking about it being his last fight win or lose so it's got that hook of seeing Hendo's farewell to it as well.

And besides, as MOM points out, the other contenders are out of commission through one thing or another. And of the names you mention I don't even think Rockhold, Weidman or Romero deserve a shot right now anyway. Rockhold just got KO'd inside a round by Bisping. That doesn't warrant an immediate re-run IMO. Weidman hasn't fought since Rockhold smashed him to bits. Don't really see why he's considered deserving. And Romero's embroiled in a PED scandal and currently suspended. As big a fan of Romero as I am, he's eliminated himself from the title picture until he comes back and proves he can beat a top contender clean.

So that leaves Jacare. Unquestionably deserving. And also injured. So not currently an option for the October Manchester date. And in the end it won't matter. If Bisping beats Hendo he'll have to defend against one of the names you mentioned anyway. Bisping's always been fairly active. If he gets by Hendo he'll probably end up fighting Rockhold/Jacare/Weidman or whoever early next year. So by the time those guys are healthy and get a camp in, Bisping will most likely be good to go again. All this means is we get an extra fight against Hendo in there. It's not that he's trying to fight Hendo instead of those guys, he wants to fight Hendo as well as those guys.

For me, the biggest thing is that Hendo holds that KO over Bisping. That's the crux of this whole thing for me and what makes the story of the rematch. If anyone else was champion I wouldn't be calling for Hendo to challenge say a Rockhold or Weidman. The fact that Bisping is the champ and on the very same night Hendo KO'd Lombard, that changed things for me. It's such a great story.

They started it late at like 3am Sweden time. That won't happen here though, we've got to many legal issues in place and the last thing they'll want is a ton of MMA fans in Manc having an exscuse to get pissed all day and night till silly o'clock watching fights. Other thing with the Sweden show was it was for a title shot, no belt was on the line.

From what I've read a lot of people seem to think Hendo/Bisping 2 will be a big money spinner on PPV. Maybe they just bite the bullet and throw a solid card for the show and go with a special start time. 10pm our time would still be 5pm ok the est coast. Not terrible.

If it was a Fox card, the main card would start at 1am and finish around 3am, Ricky Hatton and Joe Calzage, both had a couple of UK cards where the main event started just after 2am and these were 12 round title fights, it's How both guys started making a name in the US for themselves, HBO or Showtime would demand the fight live.

A PPV would be different though as that ends around 6am

Another weekend, another arrest for Mayhem Miller...

Jason "Mayhem" Miller was arrested at 2 a.m. on Sunday after an incident at the Saddle Ranch Chop House.

According to police, Miller had gotten into an argument with some women and was in the process of assaulting them when security took him down and handcuffed him.

Police arrived and as they were taking him in, he allegedly spit one of them.

He was hospitalized first due to a facial wound before being booked on suspicion of assault and battery, assault on a police officer and public intoxication.

Taken from yesterday's daily update on Meltzer's site.

• Paid Members

he's a mess.

unrelated note, the updated UFC Fight Pass is very cool, it hasn't updated on Xbox yet, but the mobile version is quality.

oh, and pretty much the whole Cage Rage fightography is on there now.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/727799-brock-lesnar-ufc-200-money

As noted, Brock Lesnar was paid a guaranteed $2.5 million for his UFC 200 fight. Additionally, he was paid $5,000 from Reebok in sponsorship money.

According to Wrestling Observer Radio, Lesnar will also be getting a cut of UFC 200 PPV sales, and when it’s all said and done The Beast Incarnate stands to make a minimum of $5.5 million and a maximum of about $8 million. Following this past weekend’s PPV, it was announced that Brock Lesnar is currently the 8th ranked heavyweight in UFC.

• Paid Members

Urijah Faber gets back on the horse at UFC 203, fights Jimmie Rivera.

Can't put my finger on Rivera but he's 19-1 and is on an 18 fight win streak (3-0 in the UFC), i'll have to go watch some footage. If there's one thing people could never accuse Faber of, it's of not being afraid to step in the cage with hungry young fighters and working his way back up, for a guy like Rivera, a win over Faber would be massive. Whenever Faber's lost he's dropped down the rankings and worked his way back up. I think this will be the first step toward setting up Faber/Dillashaw (unless Dillashaw is thrown straight back in with Cruz).

So there is rumblings that Brock could be next in line for a title shot. I can actually see it happening; it would be a phenomenal PPV attraction  (especially if Brock is WWE Champ at the time), now before people say WWE would never allow it I think you really need to look at Vince and how he promotes, he is very much a 'go big or go home' guy, he is very similar to Dana in many ways and I can see them being on the same wave length. It's 2016, the gig on pro wrestling is up, there would be no shame if WWE's champ loses a MMA fight.

Just imagine the press conference with Brock (wwe belt in front, Vince by his side), Overeem/Stipe (ufc belt in front, Dana by his side), the fighting world will never have seen anything like it.

• Paid Members

Lesnar for the title is the money fight in the division, particularly if Overeem beats Stipe. Velasquez is the most deserving, of course, but Lesnar is the draw. Lesnar v PED Overeem was a battering and Lesnar v current Overeem could be the same.

Anyway, I came in here to post how much I wish they could do Cormier v Cerrone. Cerrone's comments were about as dumb as it gets and Cormier was tremendous on the MMA Hour with his retort. I want to see Cormier smash his face in now.

Archived