The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

What odd timing for Mir to ask for his release. I know he's currently suspended but, with Brock fighting again you'd think he'd want to stick around in the UFC on the off chance Lesnar decides to/is allowed by WWE to fight again in the UFC. It's the only fight worth hanging around for, surely? If not for that last Brock payday to boost his retirement fund, he may as well just retire.

Even if they give him his release, he can't fight until his suspension is up anyway can he?

Wait...Fedor vs Mir in Japan? Aside from that I can't think what else is out there. And even that would pale in comparison to the rubber match with Brock Lesnar.

• Paid Members

Bellator may offer him some kind of 'commentator/fighter' type deal (and Mir's supposedly blacklisted from doing that kind of stuff for the UFC). Bellator's flexibility seems to be what draws lots of guys over there, they are apparently paying these UFC defectors some serious coin too.

• Paid Members

Not really news, but I was reading an article on the Independent website about Adeline Gray, the olympic female wrestler. After having a bit of a look around, it seems she is keen on a career in MMA after the Olympics. Obviously it's hard to say how successful she'd be/what weight class etc, but certainly might be one to keep an eye out for. 

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/this-world-champion-is-tired-of-being-told-shes-too-pretty-to-wrestle--Z14n54_fvSZ?utm_source=indy&utm_medium=top5&utm_campaign=i100

Bit of a random thought, but thought it might be worth sharing. Reckon she would be the marketable sort that the UFC would be all over in the future.

• Paid Members

Anyone catch that Michael Bisping: World Champion thing on BT Sport this week? It was just a half hour interview thing but, as with any time you put a microphone and camera in front of Bisping, it was really good.

It's repeated at midnight on BT Sport 2 Saturday night/Sunday morning just before the UFC 200 stuff kicks off. Well worth your 30 minutes.

Or alternatively you can just watch it here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=mgXjGuvbMLU

I saw it after last nights show, really good little piece. Given that GAD was the one interviewing him, thankfully the amount you heard his voice (or seen the back of his raggy skull) was pretty minimum.

Well worth a watch, you can't help but get behind Bispings story.

• Paid Members

To be fair though, on the very day of UFC 200 who's going to give a fuck about the black Ned Flanders pulling out of a fight? It doesn't matter anyway. DJ is so far ahead of the pack it'll probably be a good thing if he's out of the picture for a little bit. Hopefully an interesting contender will emerge in his absence.

• Paid Members

According to Dana, Bisping vs Hendo 2 is happening and Manchester is looking the likely venue...

"We’re going to do Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping,” White said on the show while seated next to Bisping, who was working the FS1 desk as an analyst. “It’s a fight that the champ wants. It’s a fight that the fans want. We’re thinking about doing it in Manchester, England. But that’s not signed yet.”

That's interesting, time delays etc. I wonder if it's a big fox show or they do the early PPV thing for that.

Bisping deserves it though, has been a superb guy for the company. This should be a nice way of giving him something back for what he's done over the years.

Archived