The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

that's mental, he was a huge deal at one point, the guy must have been minted.

It's sad to see just how much he's deteriorated physically though, he's so frail looking.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's Asian MMA so it's acceptable.

Personally, i love shit like that. Has anyone seen that new promotion in Japan (might be Korea) that has a circular ring with a moat surrounding it (filled with dry ice for effect? It's meant to be a kumite style show with specific styles, pretty much like the old UFC's but with different rules. They've had 3 shows so far and a few decent names have taken part, bonkers.

It's a Japanese promotion called Ganryujima.

Miocic vs Overeem has been announced as the main event of UFC 203 in Cleveland on September 10th.

Wouldn't it be mad if Overeem won? The guy is a great fighter but you can't look at the top UFC heavyweights currently and say Overeem is the best man there. Familiar situation to Frank Bruno winning the World Title in 1995 when you had Tyson and Lewis both still out there

• Paid Members

Miocic vs Overeem has been announced as the main event of UFC 203 in Cleveland on September 10th.

Wouldn't it be mad if Overeem won? The guy is a great fighter but you can't look at the top UFC heavyweights currently and say Overeem is the best man there. Familiar situation to Frank Bruno winning the World Title in 1995 when you had Tyson and Lewis both still out there

What on earth are you talking about? Of course you can say he's currently the best, especially if he beats Miocic. Have you actually watched Overeem lately? In fact I say you could argue he's the best now given the people he's beaten. 

Have you looked at Overeem's record? Comparing him to Frank Bruno is mental. 

Not only could Overeem claim to be the best currently, he has a very real shout at being the greatest heavyweight striker of all time.

The man is simply phenomenal.

Since he's started fighting smart, and stopped relying on that and that alone, he's been great. He used to charge in, head up and out, confident that he could smoke the opposition. Now that he's relying on his technique and not just the POWER OF HORSE MEAT, he's a terrifying dude. He'll just wait you out, find a spot, and then snipe you.

Plus, he can grapple too.

He's probably mucked up his record too much to be considered in the GOAT conversation, but Overeem is technically fucking brilliant.

What on earth are you talking about? Of course you can say he's currently the best, especially if he beats Miocic. Have you actually watched Overeem lately? In fact I say you could argue he's the best now given the people he's beaten. 

Have you looked at Overeem's record? Comparing him to Frank Bruno is mental. 

How is it mental? Out of Frank Bruno's 5 losses, 4 of them were World Title fights, he was a top contender his entire career, unfortunately for him he was around the same era as Tyson/Lewis. Same could be said for Overeem currently to a certain degree. What if he would have came in when Brock was the top guy? He probably would have been king back then, I fancy him over Couture, Mir and Carwin.

I rate Overeem but I fancy Velasquez and Werdum over him any day. If he wins the belt, much like Bruno, I don't think it will be a long reign

• Paid Members

but Overeem hasn't been a nearly man his entire career, he was the Strikeforce champion, Dream champion and he won the K-1 Grand Prix. Overeem is the most decorated heavyweight in the history of the sport. His career is nothing like Bruno's...Overeem hasn't even fought for the UFC belt yet.

• Paid Members

How is it mental? Out of Frank Bruno's 5 losses, 4 of them were World Title fights, he was a top contender his entire career, unfortunately for him he was around the same era as Tyson/Lewis. Same could be said for Overeem currently to a certain degree. What if he would have came in when Brock was the top guy? He probably would have been king back then, I fancy him over Couture, Mir and Carwin.

I rate Overeem but I fancy Velasquez and Werdum over him any day. If he wins the belt, much like Bruno, I don't think it will be a long reign

Sorry but the entire comparison really is mental to me. We're not in an era of MMA where we have a Lewis and Tyson. I don't even know where to begin if you're comparing those fighter's dominance with the top of MMA's heavyweight division. Velasquez a while ago perhaps, but now neither he nor Werdum can be looked upon as the big 2 guys. Whilst it was a while ago Overeem beat Werdum, I just don't see a way Werdum even wins today. Overeem's striking is far too good for him and I can't see him getting him to the floor. 

I was also questioning your comment where you said wouldn't it be mad if Overeem won. The truth is that couldn't be anymore wrong because for the reasons I've mentioned, and Egg has above, Overeem is elite. Overeem to me could beat any heavyweight in history in their prime on the right day, he has all the tools. Bruno wasn't ever considered elite. 

• Paid Members

Nate Diaz gives an incredible interview on a special Wednesday edition of the MMA Hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=AP1B0sSW704

Great stuff. He deserves whatever money he wants.

Thanks for this Supremo. It's interesting listening to Diaz as especially during the part he's talking about pay he makes so much sense. I know we chuck out the age old "he gets it" a lot these days, but when it comes to pay he certainly gets it. Every time I hear a fighter say in their interviews "i'll fight anybody" I just cringe now. 

He's digging his heels in right now regarding getting what he's worth to the company and rightly so. The only thing that concerns me is that Mcgregor really is the only big fight for Nate and I hope he doesn't shoot himself in the foot. Say if the UFC decide against the rematch, Mcgregor is fine as he's a draw no matter what. Nate on the other doesn't have many options after Mcgregor. 

Well he doesn't always get it, he was number 1 contender with no fights left and he apparently got himself a pay cut, I believe it would have went up had he won but he lost and it started going down.

I say apparently as I think he got a big signing bonus but that doesn't become public unless there is a lawsuit.

If I was Nate and the money was fine, I would ask for the fight to be at 155 and whoever wins gets a Lightweight title shot, I know Dos Anjos has already beat him but he would have the chance to headline three big selling PPVs

Archived