The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

The UFC are putting on good fights as main events of both Fight Pass & Fox Sports 1, even when a fight on the PPV card falls through they usually put another fight in it's place.

Lil Nog was on Fight Pass and Aljamain Sterling who is ranked 5th at Bantamweight is on Fight Pass

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeh they are, but to watch an entire UFC card is time consuming, some people still only really pay attention to the main cards, so them slots are still very much the most important.

Yeah if you discount the Fight Pass portion, they were arguing about it on the MMA Beat, what gets more viewers a decent sized PPV or its free to air prelim, on paper the Fox Sports 1 portion has more viewers but the PPV will generally have several people watching it, from 3-10 per PPV buy as an example.

Obviously the PPV is more important and you will remember the main event and maybe one or two others at the very least but just been on a PPV doesn't make you a bigger star.

• Paid Members

Yeh, it's tough to judge how many eyeballs exactly are on what portions of the show, i still feel the 'main card' slot feels bigger though, even though savvy fans know that a prelims headliners or even a fight pass headliner is often times more important a fight than a PPV opener or 2nd fight on a PPV, the main card slot is still invaluable, there are many fans who won't even look down a card or even be aware of who's on an undercard, they'll simply look at a PPV main card and only have interest in that. The fact that they have platforms to allow fans to see everything is brilliant but the sheer amount of fights on a single night isn't going to be of interest to everyone.

• Paid Members

I fucking love the Michael McDonald vs John Lineker fight. That's a nailed on slobberknocker.

Mighty Mouse has defied my little formula twice now - first with Cariaso and now with Reis. That division appears to pull people from obscurity into a title fight.

It really does. For example, when John Moraga got a shot at DJ a couple of years ago, I'm sure he'd only ever fought on the prelims previously. And I'm not even sure he'd made the televised prelims, he might've just been on the Facebook stream or whatever it was at that time. They plucked him from that and put him in a title fight against Mighty Mouse, in the main event on a Big FOX show. No-one knew who the fuck he was, really. They just had nobody else to feed to Mouse at that point.

Now Moraga's a good fighter, I think. But in wrestling terms, it would've been like if Vince McMahon took fucking Papi Chulo straight from Sunday Night Heat in 1998 and had him main event SummerSlam or something. He was well out of his depth. But DJ has utterly rinsed the flyweight division so bad they don't have much choice. They've got little to work with personality wise (from Johnson or any of his potential challengers) and anyone who was even half marketable (Dodson, Benavidez, Cejudo) have been either dominated or destroyed by him, sometimes twice.

Wilson Reis is a decent fighter, excellent grappler etc but he'll suffer the same fate as the rest of them. He's definitely more accomplished as a grappler than DJ, but the problem is DJ is so good at everything he can tailor his gameplans to where you don't even get to use your main weapons.

• Paid Members

There's a few decent prospects 11-15 i'd like to see the UFC push (Justin Scoggins being one), they do need to start getting these guys on big cards opening up PPV's and the like.

• Paid Members

They could probably do a better job promoting some of the flyweights, I guess. But they can only do so much. It's like a division full of Ned Flanders' with six packs. There's no shortage of talented fighters in that division. There's just not much interest in general because 1) they're all a distant second to Mighty Mouse and 2) most of them have all the charisma of a mouldy loaf of bread. So you don't buy their chances of upsetting DJ and you don't even care if they do.

It's weird but DJ's cool headedness and the fact that no-one can get under his skin is partly what makes the division less interesting. But it's also a huge part of what makes him such a tough nut to crack. Nothing seems to bother him, it's like he's just a little pocket size fighting machine. I'd love to see a really good antagonist try the mind games with him. Just to see how he'd handle it. Dodson tried to a degree but it didn't even seem to register with DJ. It certainly never effected him when they fought. But that could be just because Dodson just isn't that good of an antagonist though, he's just an annoying and hyper twat. A shit talking flyweight version of a McGregor, Sonnen or Askren would be interesting.

They have gotta be looking at doing Dominic Cruz v Mighty Mouse in the near future. Cruz has beaten him before and is a magnificent shit talker. It could be the fight to really put him over. What weight it would happen at would be the only issue surely. 

As I've said before, all the Flyweight division needs is that one star. It's version of Sonnen or McGregor. It doesn't even have to be a quick-fire shit talker. Look at the previous success of Manny Pacquiao in boxing.  If a fighter can evoke emotion in the audience - even just a small geographic section of it - the division will greatly benefit in the process. Maybe not the entire division, but certainly the feature bouts. 

I can take or leave Mighty Mouse. If he's featured on a massive card in the co-main event slot, I can happily watch him. However, if he's headlining a card where I have little interest in the undercard, I can give him a miss. He's usually a marvel to watch, but that's not enough for me in this day and age. There has to be that added layer of pageantry for me to go out of my way.

There's a few decent prospects 11-15 i'd like to see the UFC push (Justin Scoggins being one), they do need to start getting these guys on big cards opening up PPV's and the like.

Absolutely. If the ranked Flyweights were on the main cards this would be perceived as less of an issue.

Horiguchi vs Seery at Rotterdam is a great example of this - Horiguchi looked absolutely superb, but how many people know about it? Smolka vs Nguyen is the sort of fight that needs to be on a main card to build the division's credibility.

• Paid Members

Smolka is great. His fight with Paddy Holohan is probably my favourite flyweight fight so far. 

Yeah that was a great fight. It's funny, because as I was watching it, even though Paddy was constantly on the offense, it felt like he was losing. Mostly because Smolka had an answer for everything. Great little grappling display from both though.

• Paid Members

Yeah that's what I loved about it. Holohan fought really well himself, it was just that Smolka was always just a half step ahead at all times. That fight being so good kind of made up for the original Poirier vs Duffy main event falling out.

Archived