The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

I think its just annoying as hell as it's an easy fix.

The just seems that unfortunately its either the design department are too lazy to generate a kit specifically for a fighter when they have an unknown shelf life ie maybe cut within a month, or the budget isn't there to give these fighters the individuality that's so badly needed in the sport.

Perhaps what they should do is allow the top 15 in each division a choice, whilst the fighters who are working their way up up wear the generic gear?

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

In a sport where individuality is so important its crazy to think the people who are involved can't see it.

Exactly!

I'll admit it, when they first floated the idea of uniforms my actual first thought was 'cool, it'll be like the tournament bits in Enter The Dragon'.

You know what I mean. The bits when everyone's either in white or yellow...

etdu.jpg

Or everyone's in white or black...

yuM29.jpg

Uniforms or kits are fine for team sports but for a sport like MMA it's like they've just stripped away some of the individuality of the fighters.

Not really, team kits are their identity, a team's colours mean everything to it's fans, imagine if every Premiership football game had to take place between a white team and a black team, horrid. MMA fighters should have an option, like you said Anderson Silva is black and gold, Chuck Liddel was the blue Iceman shorts, Crocop had the checkered tights, Tito the flaming shorts etc.

• Paid Members

I would assume it has something to do with them trying to sell these "kits" worldwide, if u sell two or three types they can mass produce but 20 or 30 and you will sell barely any of each.

I don't think its that as the kits are still unique with the fighter's name on it.

Aren't the kits supposed to but linked with the nationality of the fighter too?

It just seem lazy to me.

• Paid Members

i'd like to know the actual figures for the sales of the official fighter jersey's because the online feedback has been overwhelmingly negative towards them and they are expensive as fuck. It's £54.99 for a standard fighter jersey, and £74.99 for a hoodie. Ridiculous prices.

• Paid Members

Not really, team kits are their identity, a team's colours mean everything to it's fans, imagine if every Premiership football game had to take place between a white team and a black team, horrid. MMA fighters should have an option, like you said Anderson Silva is black and gold, Chuck Liddel was the blue Iceman shorts, Crocop had the checkered tights, Tito the flaming shorts etc.

That's what I'm saying though. Kits don't strip away the identity of a team because the kit actually identifies them as a team. That's why I said kits are fine for team sports. For one on one sports it's a different thing entirely. With kits in a sport like MMA, no-one stands out in a sport where standing out is crucial. You need to have the kind of magnetic personality McGregor has to stand out when you're dressed like a chess board, and as we know, very few people are like that.

Penn is still slated to fight on the UFC 197 undercard. His opponent is yet to be announced. Michael Johnson has however withdrawn from his bout with Tony Fegurson on the card.

I know Anderson vs Bisping happens the week before UFC 197, but really, the UFC is sleeping until the start of March. There is some mildly interesting stuff happening in the interim (Cerrone's 170lb debut, Hendricks vs Thompson), but nothing that really gets the juices flowing. Cain vs Werdum 2 was the only fight I was really anticipating, and that's gone tit's up. 

It's just the nature of the game. You can't have a Conor, Cormier or Lawler fighting every month

Edit: That doesn't include the Bellator card with Kimbo, Royce and Shamrock on it. I'm really looking forward to that. Should be a right laugh. 

Penn is still slated to fight on the UFC 197 undercard. His opponent is yet to be announced. Michael Johnson has however withdrawn from his bout with Tony Fegurson on the card.

I know Anderson vs Bisping happens the week before UFC 197, but really, the UFC is sleeping until the start of March. There is some mildly interesting stuff happening in the interim (Cerrone's 170lb debut, Hendricks vs Thompson), but nothing that really gets the juices flowing. Cain vs Werdum 2 was the only fight I was really anticipating, and that's gone tit's up. 

It's just the nature of the game. You can't have a Conor, Cormier or Lawler fighting every month

Yeah, it's gone a bit quiet and dull atm. I suppose repercussions of stacking the last few cards ridiculously high? UFC will always have difficulty with pacing the year mind with injuries and that always fucking them over. I'd love to know how they plan shit though, do they have some form of chart IE if so and so get's injured we throw this guy in as a replacement etc? Sometimes seem's like they just throw shit together last minute without much forward thinking. Not always, just sometimes.

• Paid Members

seeing some things on Facebook that it's gonna be Nurmagamedov/Ferguson now, dunno if it's bollocks though.

I'll only believe that when Nurmagomedov actually gets in the fucking cage.

Archived