The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Anyone seen this shite about Vitor Belfort calling out CM Punk for his farewell fight in Brazil? Now I know Vitor's not exactly known for his sense of humour but surely he was taking the piss when he said that, right?

I mean, it's smart in a way. Punk is surely the easiest fight for the most money in the history of combat sports when you think about it. And it guarantees Vitor goes out on a win. But...he's got to be joking. They can't sanction Belfort vs Punk can they? What are we doing here? Plus in the quote I read Vitor was saying he wants his final fight at 205. Punk is a welterweight and didn't look like a particularly big one in September. Belfort can't be expecting the easiest can ever to also come up 35lbs/2 divisions to fight him as well. They'd have to give Punk an AK47 to even give him a fighting chance. Hilarious fight to even think about.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Anyone seen this shite about Vitor Belfort calling out CM Punk for his farewell fight in Brazil? Now I know Vitor's not exactly known for his sense of humour but surely he was taking the piss when he said that, right?

I mean, it's smart in a way. Punk is surely the easiest fight for the most money in the history of combat sports when you think about it. And it guarantees Vitor goes out on a win. But...he's got to be joking. They can't sanction Belfort vs Punk can they? What are we doing here? Plus in the quote I read Vitor was saying he wants his final fight at 205. Punk is a welterweight and didn't look like a particularly big one in September. Belfort can't be expecting the easiest can ever to also come up 35lbs/2 divisions to fight him as well. They'd have to give Punk an AK47 to even give him a fighting chance. Hilarious fight to even think about.

Not to mention who would buy a ticket or PPV to see that!? It'll last about 4 seconds.

• Paid Members

John Kavanagh is campaigning on Twitter for Nelson vs wonder boy. What a great fight that is. Can't see past a Gunni win though and surely that would catapult him right into title shot contention.

• Paid Members

I think that would be a great fight, but I'm probably alone here, but that last Woodley/Thompson fight has left a fucking rotten taste in my mouth. I can honestly say I would be happy never seeing Thompson carry the title. The guy is beyond bland. 

• Paid Members

You're not alone there. That fight was all kinds of boring. Especially after their first fight being so exciting, so that made it more of a let down. Maybe the negative reaction to the fight might give Thompson the impetus to engage more in his next fight. Or else he'll need Robbie Lawler to punch him in the mouth first to wake him up.

Sonnen Vs Wand in New York in June, apparently a PPV, can't see this doing big numbers, Chael can talk but now he's the boy who cried wolf, I can't see many people paying to see him or Wand in PPV in 2017, it would draw on TV though.

Bader & Larkin have signed with Bellator as well.

Sonnen Vs Wand in New York in June

Ohhh, I like it. I hope Bellator stack it with a few more novelty fights. Hughes and Serra be perfect if it were possible. 

Edit: Fedor vs Mitrione has been re-scheduled for the show. 

The co-main event, as first reported by The Post, will feature the Bellator debut of Russian heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko against former Matt Mitrione, according to a promotion spokesman.

• Paid Members

Yeh, i like the sound of that so far. Not quite sure what to make of it being PPV but with it being at Madison Square Garden it should be some event.

Ryan Bader will debut on the show too so i expect to see Bader/Davis II on there, as well as the debut of Dillon Danis.

Edit* thinking about it, could this be where Matt Hughes looks to come back?

• Paid Members

i expect to see Bader/Davis II on there

Had to ruin it didn't you, Ebb?

Saying that, fuck this Fedor vs Meathead fight. I was hoping they'd move onto something else. I really, really, really don't want Meathead getting a win over Fedor. And I fear that's what will happen. Can't Coker bring Cro Cop in and do Fedor vs Cro Cop 2. Or Rampage. Scrap this King Mo rematch nobody's arsed about anyway and do Fedor vs Rampage. Balls to cheeseless cracker boy.

I'll be watching Sonnen vs. Silva. They should just go balls to the wall and book all of UFC's old rivalries. Sonnen vs. Silva, Serra vs. Hughes, Koscheck vs. Leben. What are Chuck and Randy doing?

Aye.

I think they mellowed to one another as the years passed, but I still wouldn't mind seeing them fight again. I'm surprised the UFC never booked a rematch between them. Their feud on TUF 1 was one of the key reasons why the show took off in the way it did.

Edit: Wand's idea of Fedor vs Cro Cop 2 also has my approval. 

• Paid Members

I remember researching it years ago and, if you actually look at the ratings, the reason UFC got big and are so popular today isn't because of Stephan Bonnar and Forrest Griffin. It's actually because of Leben punching his fist through a window. They saved the entire sport that night.

Josh's chin has completely gone and I don't even know what's going on with Leben, there's every chance he's in jail, but that feud will forever have a special place in my heart. Even if it takes another 10 years, I'll always want to see that rematch.

Archived