The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Ben Rothwell has been flagged by USADA for a potential anti-doping violation

Evidence that you have to workout just as hard when on the juice if you want to see results?

I think it's worth pointing out that Rothwell has already come out stating that's it's a medical reason and he's hoping to straighten it out with USADA. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Several fighters have had their potential USADA violation over turned and this could be another one.

USADA don't release potential violation's from Olympic athletes, so its the UFC releasing this and mud can stick, so I think they should just keep quiet until it's been properly looked at, tell the fighter and tell the opponent, we don't need to know.

• Paid Members

Bisping talks about the Eddie Bravo handbags here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=Dk7PQA3rRuU

Doesn't say what started it though, just puts it down to being pissed. He does have a pop at Luke Thomas for taking pictures of them arguing though.

Totally agreed, that card is outstanding at the moment.

Stipe/JDS 2, Joanna/Andrade, Maia/Masvidal, Alvarez/Poirer, Cejudo/Pettis and now Edgar/Yair. Plus there's still Werdum/Rothwell which could happen, given how the fight hasn't been officially scrapped, and even in that event you still have enough time to find somebody for Werdum to face.

Looks like we're back.

Matt Hughes is considering a comeback. He's been linked to a rematch with Royce Gracie in Bellator. That fight doesn't do much for me. I would rather him rematch Matt Serra in the UFC, or perhaps just let it be altogether. He's one of the best villains in MMA history, but I've not really yearned for his return since he retired.

The novelty of Hughes - besides being the 2nd best Welterweight of all-time - was waiting for the day he got his comeuppance. By the time Koscheck knocked him out in his retirement, the novelty had long since worn off. I even warmed slightly to the smug fucker. I'm sure Bellator could re-heat Hughes, and have me preying for Royce to score an unlikely victory over him, but I could easily live without it. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, I've been saying for ages that the only fight I'd be into watching involving Hughes at this point would be the Serra rematch. There's unfinished business there and you can tell whenever one guy is asked about the other. I still can't get my head around why Dana was so dead against it a few years ago when Hughes and Serra were both campaigning for it and fan reaction seemed almost universally positive for it. Yet he was still giving Stephan Bonnar fights as late as 2012 and still keeps sending Bigfoot on his merry way down to Concussion Blvd every few months. Hughes vs Serra 2 should've been the PPV main card opener for UFC 205 at MSG.

I don't know if Bellator can book it though. Maybe they can but I don't know if Serra is still contractually tied to the UFC in some way. If not then Bellator a the ideal place for it. Or if Serra doesn't want to get off the TRT, send them over to Rizin this New Year's Eve and have them fight on the undercard of Fedor vs Gabi Garcia and Cro Cop vs Godzilla or whatever other fantastically goofy shit they're cooking up.

• Paid Members

I'm watching a thing on BT Sport called Bisping vs St Pierre Special or something. It's nothing earth shattering but I found this quote from Bisping interesting. Sounds like he's considering retirement soon.

"I think I'll beat Georges. Of course I think that. And then I'll fight Yoel Romero. And if I beat Yoel Romero, I guess, what else am I gonna do? Just carry on fighting everybody for the rest of my life? You know, I've achieved it all. I'm very happy with what I've achieved. I've had a great career. I've had a long career. You can't do it forever."

The GSP fight is apparently being targeted for July. If he wins that then I could see the Romero fight happening around October/November time. Are the UFC coming back to the UK around then? They usually do, don't they? Maybe they can do Bisping's last fight in the UK. If he loses the title to GSP it kills the Romero fight but maybe then it'd open up the door for that Nick Diaz fight. There's a few interesting ways this could go.

I'm watching a thing on BT Sport called Bisping vs St Pierre Special or something. It's nothing earth shattering but I found this quote from Bisping interesting. Sounds like he's considering retirement soon.

"I think I'll beat Georges. Of course I think that. And then I'll fight Yoel Romero. And if I beat Yoel Romero, I guess, what else am I gonna do? Just carry on fighting everybody for the rest of my life? You know, I've achieved it all. I'm very happy with what I've achieved. I've had a great career. I've had a long career. You can't do it forever."

The GSP fight is apparently being targeted for July. If he wins that then I could see the Romero fight happening around October/November time. Are the UFC coming back to the UK around then? They usually do, don't they? Maybe they can do Bisping's last fight in the UK. If he loses the title to GSP it kills the Romero fight but maybe then it'd open up the door for that Nick Diaz fight. There's a few interesting ways this could go.

The UFC are going to Sweden, Scotland, Holland & Poland that's it for 2017, they won't be back to London until next year, they only ran then because it was a PPV card.

Archived