The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

How can anyone support Romero over Bisping.

Because he's the man.

Romero is as dirty as they come.

Racist.

On a serious note, I'm a big fan of Bisping. 2016 was one of my favourite years ever in MMA and Bisping's story was probably the best bit of that for me. He made 2016 in a lot of ways. I don't think any fight result last year satisfied me more than Bisping knocking the smug off Rockhold's face and taking his title. And he sandwiched that with two genuine FOTY candidates against Anderson and Hendo and was pure gold nearly every time a mic and/or camera was put in front of him.

But I love Yoel Romero as well. He's my favourite middleweight. I don't care if he cheats. So did Eddie Guerrero and he was ace as well. I'm not arsed if he splashes water on himself between rounds. GSP did that a few times to nary a peep from fans or commentators. I don't care if he sat on the stool too long against Dickhead Tim. Tim Kennedy is a cunt anyway. And Rogan's Kennedy bum licking propaganda about that fight can piss off. He loves slagging Romero off for the stool thing but always conveniently forgets Kennedy's glove grabbing. He fully deserved that beatdown he got at the end of that fight. Yoel Romero is great and so is his creepy translator. Yoel deserves his shot. How many more middleweights does he have to lay waste to before he gets what is rightfully his?

Bisping vs Romero and Woodley/Wonderboy winner vs GSP please (sorry Demian Maia).

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Lesnar is a hustler. Retiring now just means he doesn't have to do any random piss tests. It doesn't mean he won't fight again, for the right price.

I would be surprised if he gets another shot, though, because his last fight was WWE doing him a favour because they booked him for more dates than he was contracted to do. Unless WWE take the piss again, they have no reason to cave into his demands.

Also, Brandon Gibson was on twitter earlier claiming the UFC have told camps/coaches they need to pay for Fight Pass now, if they want fighter footage, as tape will no longer be made available. Lovely bit of penny pinching.

The interesting thing to note here is that Lesnar retiring suspends his 1 year suspension. In theory he was suspended up until July 2017 so he has another 5/6 months to serve on this. If he ever did decide to return, he would have to serve another 5/6 months suspension whilst also being subjected to random drug tests. 

Oh, right, ta for the correction.

How can anyone support Romero over Bisping.

Because he's the man.

Romero is as dirty as they come.

Racist.

On a serious note, I'm a big fan of Bisping. 2016 was one of my favourite years ever in MMA and Bisping's story was probably the best bit of that for me. He made 2016 in a lot of ways. I don't think any fight result last year satisfied me more than Bisping knocking the smug off Rockhold's face and taking his title. And he sandwiched that with two genuine FOTY candidates against Anderson and Hendo and was pure gold nearly every time a mic and/or camera was put in front of him.

But I love Yoel Romero as well. He's my favourite middleweight. I don't care if he cheats. So did Eddie Guerrero and he was ace as well. I'm not arsed if he splashes water on himself between rounds. GSP did that a few times to nary a peep from fans or commentators. I don't care if he sat on the stool too long against Dickhead Tim. Tim Kennedy is a cunt anyway. And Rogan's Kennedy bum licking propaganda about that fight can piss off. He loves slagging Romero off for the stool thing but always conveniently forgets Kennedy's glove grabbing. He fully deserved that beatdown he got at the end of that fight. Yoel Romero is great and so is his creepy translator. Yoel deserves his shot. How many more middleweights does he have to lay waste to before he gets what is rightfully his?

Bisping vs Romero and Woodley/Wonderboy winner vs GSP please (sorry Demian Maia).

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  agree 100% with all of this! Yoel deserves his shot, thoroughly enjoyed him kneeing Weidman out cold and the salute

That's fucked up, especially with both being in very thin divisions.

Krylov is a fan-friendly fighter and still very young. He was on a five fight win streak before he lost to Cirkunov (also gone from UFC) with all wins by stoppage and never having gone to a decision in his 20+ fight career. It's got to be contract related, doesn't make any sense at all otherwise.

• Paid Members

I'm loving the look of the next few PPVs...

UFC 209 - March

Tyron Woodley vs Stephen Thompson 2 - WW Title

Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Tony Ferguson - Interim LW Title

Alistair Overeem vs Mark Hunt 2

UFC 210 - April

Daniel Cormier vs Anthony Johnson 2 - LHW Title

Chris Weidman vs Gegard Mousasi

UFC 211 - May

Stipe Miocic vs Junior Dos Santos 2 - HW Title

Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs Jessica Andrade - SW Title

Fabricio Werdum vs Ben Rothwell

UFC 212 - June

Jose Aldo vs Max Holloway - FW Title Unification

I could see an Anderson Silva fight ending up on 212 with it being in Brazil. Plus Bisping vs either Romero or GSP could land on 213 in July. Exciting times.

UFC 210 - April

Daniel Cormier vs Anthony Johnson 2 - LHW Title

Chris Weidman vs Gegard Mousasi

This is arguably the weakest of the 4 (at the moment) I'm still looking forward to it. 

I wouldn't be surprised if both Bisping vs Romero and GSP are put on the July card. That show is traditionally one of the biggest of the year. 

• Paid Members

They could do that yeah. Timing wise, the winner of Woodley-Wonderboy 2 should be good to go again by July so you could have the winner of that defending against a returning GSP, plus Bisping vs Romero.

Actually I could see De Randamie vs Cyborg for the featherweight title being added to 212 in Brazil. If De Randamie's hand is OK that is.

When's McGregor's baby due, June? He could be back by August. Which would time nicely for the Khabib-Ferguson winner.

• Paid Members

Sticking Bisping v Romero on GSP's big return show definitely helps them tick a few boxes.

Not sure I fancy GSP's chances much against Woodley. You can see a path to victory if he fights Wonderboy (WrestleFuck 28), but Woodley has a very accomplished all round game and has power. No idea what a 2017, 35 years young, GSP looks like either.

I'm not as convinced about Woodley. He's clearly a top-flight Welterweight - but in his last 6 fights - he's only won 2 of them decisively (Lawler and Kim) He lost against Rory, drew against Wonderboy, secured a split verdict over Kelvin, and beat Condit due to injury (I recall he was winning the fight up until then to be fair) 

He's only a year younger than GSP as well. Of course, GSP will have ring rust, which might work in Woodley's favour, but GSP is the definition of a professional. He won't cut corners, and will enter the cage fully prepared for what is in front of him. GSP was boxing rings around Hendricks for periods of their fight in 2013. I can picture him doing the same to Woodley, and edging it out on points. 

• Paid Members

It's a fair point, jim. Obviously prime v prime, Woodley isn't GSP, but it's been years since GSP was the top dog.

The 2nd Wonderboy fight will be telling, I feel. Woodley battered Wonderboy, but failed to take full advantage of his openings (although you can argue the fight should have been stopped).

Archived