The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

205 is in terrible shape. 

It is indeed.

However, the Jones vs D.C rematch will create a stir over the summer. It isn't a rematch that I'm jumping for joy to see, but Jones is still one of the biggest names in MMA. Beyond that, I expect Gusty and Rumble will be circling to face the winner. If Jones indeed prevails, which he probably will, either fight would be essential viewing. 

On a personal note, I'm looking forward to seeing how Heavyweight pans out. I know Miocic is having contract issues, and that Cain's health status is unknown, but last I heard Werdum was up for a rematch with Miocic. I would be well up for that. If Cain somehow end up facing either of them, it would also be grand. 

On paper, I think 2017 has the ingredients to be a slow-burner. A lot can - and probably will - happen though. No one could predict going into 2016 how Middleweight was going to pan out with Bisping's miracle run. So, who knows. 

• Paid Members

205 is in terrible shape.

It is indeed.

However, the Jones vs D.C rematch will create a stir over the summer. It isn't a rematch that I'm jumping for joy to see, but Jones is still one of the biggest names in MMA.

He's also one of the biggest fuck ups in MMA. I like your optimism but I think you're putting a lot of faith in Jon Jones. He doesn't deserve your faith Jim. Over the last couple of years he's fucked up how many times? He was meant to fight Rumble back in May 2015 at UFC 187 and cocked everything up by smashing his car into things. The Cormier rematch was meant to happen twice and, fair enough the first time it was DC pulling out injured, but he managed to balls that up as well the second time at UFC 200 with the 'dick pills' farce. To think by now he could be 2-0 over Cormier and could've added Rumble to his resume, if he'd had his head on right his legacy now would be even more immense and he'd have cleaned out 205. But he's an idiot. At this point I'm going on the assumption that he's going to continue fucking up again this year and he won't fight in 2017. I'm just going to assume that. So if he does end up fighting I'll consider it a bonus.

Logically, you'd think they'll be having DC vs Rumble 2 sometime over the next few months. With the winner defending against Jones, ideally in New York, over the summer or something. But you just can't plan around Jones. My guess is Jones does something stupid again and we end up with fucking Bader going for the belt instead.

At the moment, Bisping vs Romero and Aldo vs Holloway are where it's at for me. Khabib vs Ferguson too actually.

Aye, fair point. Jones doesn't deserve much faith does he? While he rarely ceases to amaze us with his ability in the octagon, he equally never ceases to amaze us with his ability to fuck everything up. The odds are that his career will eventually turn to complete pot, and he'll be perceived as an underachiever (he already is in most circles) However, I am working under the presumption - that for a brief while - he'll behave himself. I've always had a dreamy eyed side to me. 

I would also add Thompson vs Woodley 2 to the list of fights worth looking forward to. 

I'm not thinking doom and gloom about UFC in 2017, Conor will be back in the latter half of the year, won't he? Early reports were saying he could even fight in May. So that'll do big business. They were so close with GSP, he's the type you reach out to now for that boost if you're WME-IMG.

One thing I don't like about the new ownership is how slow they seem to be in announcing fights. We've got 208 in a couple of weeks with the makeshift 145 pound division- seriously, there's been no word about who else is even in the division beyond Holm and De Randamie. 209 has Woodley vs. Wonderboy II and another stupid interim title with Khabib and Ferguson. 

So, they're not announcing many fights, and the ones they are, are for made up titles. Really makes you miss Joe Silva.

• Paid Members

From everything I've heard it's May.

At the post fight press conference at 205 Mcgregor thought it was March, only to then be corrected by his girlfriend that it was may.

At the time I thought May seemed ridiculous as she already looked big in November.

• Paid Members

What I found weird in all of this was why the fuck did he need the time up to May off anyway? The kid isn't even born yet. There's fuck all a man can do till the birth as the pregnancy itself is one tedious wait.

It would have made more sense saying he needed the first 3 or so months off after the birth. Sounds like he's fucking off once the hard work starts.

• Paid Members

What I found weird in all of this was why the fuck did he need the time up to May off anyway? The kid isn't even born yet. There's fuck all a man can do till the birth as the pregnancy itself is one tedious wait.

It would have made more sense saying he needed the first 3 or so months off after the birth. Sounds like he's fucking off once the hard work starts.

Maybe he wants to be there for the hospital visits, be there to decorate a baby room, put together furniture, be there to buy a stroller & car seat, etc - and just be there for the journey with her, while his girlfriend is carrying their first child. These are all important things, and he keeps emphasising that family comes first. He doesn't need to squeeze in another fight while he's having a child. Why would he? For money? And why cause her undue stress?

Plus he fought 4 times in 11 months.

Champions usually fight once every 6 months these days. McGregor's 4 fights in 11 months was a bit of an exception. He last fought in November, where he was on the tail-end of that 4 fight run. He was due a good 6 month break. It just so happened that he'd be due back in April/May - which is when his kid is due. Given this, I can let him off on this occasion. 

The only issue is that Featherweight was put on ice due to McGregor fighting Diaz twice, and eventually fighting for the Lightweight title. In retrospect, they should have have stripped McGregor earlier, and set the Featherweight division free. As it stands, another division is on ice due to the same fighter, so people are bound to complain. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, but he's done more than his fair share of work & promotion & PPV buys for UFC - around 5.4m PPV buys in 11 months. The guy deserves a break, and there's no better time to take it than for his first child.

Him & Dana have both said his girlfriend gets really nervous when he fights and he doesn't want that distraction as she should be putting her feet up and taking easy in the last month, its also really dangerous for the baby that type of stress, she shouldnt be watching some guy try and beat up her boyfriend.

She could not go to the fight but she would still know even at 6am in Dublin, social media, A friend calling, even local media reporting it, She would probably be waiting on Conor phoning to tell her what happened.

Yeah, but he's done more than his fair share of work & promotion & PPV buys for UFC - around 5.4m PPV buys in 11 months. The guy deserves a break, and there's no better time to take it than for his first child.

Yep, agreed.

It's the UFC that haven't managed things correctly here. As I said, the Featherweight division should have been set free much sooner. They should have given McGregor a deadline to make his decision, rather than tagging along for months. 

Archived