The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's loads they could do to spice TUF up but they stick with the same old format. Just having the fights live wasn't enough to rejuvinate it and they've sacked that idea off now. TUF Brazil felt fresh to me and it did great in Brazil. It's the regular US seasons which I'm finding a bit stale these days.

They could do with shaking it up or giving it a break imo. I'll still watch it but it needs a kick up the arse in the ideas department.

I read an interesting comment on Junkie saying that they've pretty much exhausted all the US talent, and International seasons would be the way to go for the time being.

It's a fair comment in my view if you look at the quality of fighter from past seasons. It's too early to comment on John Dodson, but even if he'd never done TUF he would've been signed up when the Flyweight division started, Roy Nelson really shouldn't have had to go through TUF, in fact the last 'discovery' I'd say is Ryan Bader from Season Eight. To go back further, I'd say that Season Five (with Nate, Lauzon, Handsome Matt, Manvel the Anvil, Maynard) was the last 'quality' season in terms of standard of fighter (with Monsta Lobster the obvious exception). There are the untapped markets such as Korea, Australia, Russia, China which they should concentrate on for the time being before returning to a US season.

• Paid Members
There's loads they could do to spice TUF up but they stick with the same old format. Just having the fights live wasn't enough to rejuvinate it and they've sacked that idea off now. TUF Brazil felt fresh to me and it did great in Brazil. It's the regular US seasons which I'm finding a bit stale these days.

They could do with shaking it up or giving it a break imo. I'll still watch it but it needs a kick up the arse in the ideas department.

I read an interesting comment on Junkie saying that they've pretty much exhausted all the US talent, and International seasons would be the way to go for the time being.

i don't think that's true. There's tons of fight leagues out there with great talent. The thing is TUF always seems to be about bringing in 'unknown' talent, usually there's only around 2 guys ive ever heard of in each season, maybe the UFC should try and bring in some established names from other promotions, some veterans, maybe some guys that had a shot in the UFC and didn't make it (this has happened a few times already). You know what im getting at? There's surely 25 American fighters at any specific weight worthy of fighting in the UFC there has to be!

As for creating champions? the top talent is basically snapped up before it has to do TUF these days. Chris Weidman is a good example, young guy 4-0 you think he'd be perfect for TUF but the UFC probably has tips off camps and whatnot and pick up these guys without having to go down the TUF route. It always feels like the guys they pick up are the camp dark horses, the guys that never caught a break...John Dodson is a great example of that.

I think the Smashes will be great, the UK/Aus rivalry will be heated and im pretty sure it'll make for some funny tv.

Nelson/Carwin is a weird one but i like it. I think the UFC are milking Carwin for what time he has left. He's a popular guy, but is getting on and is riddled with injuries i think the UFC see this as a chance to get viewers through his popularity then nail a headline fight out of him when he's done, a Carwin win would probably give him another title shot. Nelson's popularity is unquestionable.

I think the format of the show needs touching up though...personally i'd like to see the show go longer, maybe an hours worth of TV (45mins when you take into consideration breaks) then have a seperate 20-30min broadcast for the fight.

• Paid Members
TMZ.com has reported that David Bautista, the former multi-time WWE champion, will make his MMA debut on 10/6 in Providence, RI for the CES MMA promotion.

He's schedled to face Rashid Evans, a 33-year-old 6-2, 210 pound heavyweight who has a 3-1 amateur wrestler and no professional fights.

Will this happen? Or will it be cancelled before fight night?

• Paid Members

I thought that said Batista was fighting Rashad Evans then. Good luck to him, it's late in the game for him to try something like this so fair play. He's clearly passionate about it, wouldn't have thought he's just in it for a payday I'd think he's probably OK financially. And all the Cesar Gracie people seemed to like him so he must've been doing the right things. .

I think he's just in it for the experience really, seems to have a realistic attitude on what he can do. I hope he does alright.

Archived