The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

edit - Ha, never mind M.O.M already posted it

Ross Pearson & George Sotiropoulos announced as coaches for TUF: UK vs. Aus.

They will fight at the end of it, likely at LW.

Also, Stephen Bonnar has said he will likely retire if he can't get a third fight against Griffin.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're crossing streams here Wand, you posted the TUF news before me then I posted the Bonnar before you all inadvertently. :laugh:

Bonnar was pretty emotional on set, hopefully he gets that 3rd fight against Griffin to go out on - it'd be a fitting moment. Plus that fight would sell itself as a co-main event of a show or even headlining a Fuel or FX show.

• Paid Members

Yeah I think they should give Bonnar the Griffin fight as a kind of thankyou/going away present. The man's bled buckets for the UFC over the years and never got the breaks Griffin got. And let's be honest, Forrest's not got much going on at the minute anyway, no-one really stands out as an obvious opponent for him. Beating Tito in his last fight doesn't exactly put him in the title mix. Why not do Griffin vs Bonnar 3?

I'm on Team Bonnar if it happens. To be honest, I've always preferred him over Forrest ever since he told Diego Sanchez he might be his Dad on TUF. Bonnar's the man, I'd love to see him finally beat Forrest and then hang up the gloves.

Yeah I think they should give Bonnar the Griffin fight as a kind of thankyou/going away present. The man's bled buckets for the UFC over the years and never got the breaks Griffin got. And let's be honest, Forrest's not got much going on at the minute anyway, no-one really stands out as an obvious opponent for him. Beating Tito in his last fight doesn't exactly put him in the title mix. Why not do Griffin vs Bonnar 3?

I'm on Team Bonnar if it happens. To be honest, I've always preferred him over Forrest ever since he told Diego Sanchez he might be his Dad on TUF. Bonnar's the man, I'd love to see him finally beat Forrest and then hang up the gloves.

I'm with you on all that. Haven't watched the first fight in years but thought Bonnar won it.

• Paid Members

Yeah I thought Bonnar won aswell. If they'd done a sudden victory 4th round I think he'd have finished stronger 'cos Forrest was more out of gas by the end I thought. Haven't seen it in years though.

Oh, Ronda Rousey wants to batter Kim Kardashian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=YAsoVVJ_ySw

I'd watch that. Rather see a naked Jiu Jitsu 60 minute Ironwoman match though.

• Paid Members

Just read an interview with Chris Lytle. Sounds like he's thinking about fighting again;

"If the UFC gave you two, maybe three months' notice before a fight, would you take it?"

Before the question was even finished, his facial expression had already answered it for me. He elaborated- "If they gave me two, three weeks I'd do it".

This would allow him to satisfy his itch to fight again without taking him away from his family for a lengthy training camp.

"If you had the chance to fight anybody today, who would be your top three choices and why?"

Lytle gave this question some thought. After a few seconds, he counted them out one by one on his fingers.

"Carlos Condit, Jake Ellenberger, and Nick Diaz." Not at all surprised by his response, I asked him to elaborate. "I wanna fight guys that will one day be champion. I wanna fight guys that come to fight." The mentioning of Nick Diaz was especially interesting considering the two fought in the IFC in 2002 in which Lytle lost a split decision. When asked if a rematch was part of his motive for picking him, Lytle was all nods.

As nice as his sendoff was, I'd love to see Lytle back in there. He'll never be a title challenger but he's a guy you can throw in with almost anyone and 9 times out of 10 it will be a fun fight.

The Condit fight was scheduled a couple of times and fell through, it wouldn't be likely now with where Condit is in the division but I could see it if GSP beats him. Lytle vs Diaz 2 would be great, as would Lytle vs Kampmann, or rematches with Alves and Sanchez.

Yeah I thought Bonnar won aswell. If they'd done a sudden victory 4th round I think he'd have finished stronger 'cos Forrest was more out of gas by the end I thought. Haven't seen it in years though.

Great minds think alike ; ).

I'd rather Chris Lytle stay retired. For his position in the UFC, he got the best farewell.

• Paid Members

There are shit load of what looks like great video's on fuel TV's youtube channel..

http://www.youtube.com/fueltv

However, it's stating that they are blocked due to access rights (US only). Anyone know how to get around this?

EDIT...guys, don't go there if you don't want spoiling from last nights UFC on Fuel card.

Bonnar was pretty emotional on set, hopefully he gets that 3rd fight against Griffin to go out on - it'd be a fitting moment. Plus that fight would sell itself as a co-main event of a show or even headlining a Fuel or FX show.

Yeah, that would make a nice FX or Fuel headliner, and I'd pick Bonnar at this stage of the game. I just think that Forrest looks like a bit of a done force to be honest, whilst Bonnar seems to have actually improved of late.

He went through a tough spell, when he lost to Mark Coleman & Soszynski but he came back avenged the loss to him in decent fashion, and has wins over Pokrajac and Kingsbury recently.

Would make for an interesting fight, and I'd certainly see it being closer than their second fight was in 2006.

• Paid Members

They could even whack it on FOX I reckon. It's no less deserving than Shogun vs Vera and they could easily hype it up by playing clips of the first one and talking up how important that fight was for the UFC's survival at that time. Maybe even do an episode of Primetime.

I love Bonnar. As well as the Forrest fights, the two Soszynski fights were both great fun and his battles with Keith Jardine, and Sam Hoger are really good underrated/forgotten fights aswell.

That's a very strange choice. Nelson should be entertaining and I'm sure the fight will be good but they could've chose a lot better imo.

Can you think of two guys who have a "beef" with each other at present that would do better? Nelson's an excellent coach from what I've heard, and Carwin should be interesting.

I doubt we'll see any bad blood between the coaches right enough, but it's the fighters that make the show in my opinion.

• Paid Members

Yeah I'm not saying Nelson's a bad choice, it's Carwin I'm a bit surprised they chose to be honest given he's coming off two losses and a big layoff. May have read him wrong but he seems to have all the personality of a potato.

Not saying the coaches have to have beef but I think a season with Griffin/Bonnar, Sonnen/Wand or even Cerrone/Varner would've been better. If it wasn't for the language barrier I'd say Aldo vs Jung.

Or camp vs camp, say Black House vs AKA or Cesar Gracie's vs Jacksons. Or a comeback season. Or that contenders idea Supremo mentioned before. There's loads they could do to spice TUF up but they stick with the same old format. Just having the fights live wasn't enough to rejuvinate it and they've sacked that idea off now. TUF Brazil felt fresh to me and it did great in Brazil. It's the regular US seasons which I'm finding a bit stale these days.

They could do with shaking it up or giving it a break imo. I'll still watch it but it needs a kick up the arse in the ideas department.

Archived