The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

Well I am head honcho on the Teixeria warwagon, so my prediction is obvious.

I do like Rampage despite his complaining, but Teixeria is going want it just that little too much compared to the jaded Jackson. I Rampage haymaker is always a risk as he has serious power, but I see Teixeria working harder to grind out a clear points win.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

One thing about Teixeira is despite people thinking he's a banger, which he is, he's also a very accomplished grappler and has competed in the ADCC's I think. If he goes the grappling route in this fight then I think that would be to his advantage whereas on the feet it's probably a 50/50 fight. It's an interesting one. This could well be the fight where we'll really find out if the crazy amount of hype on Teixeira is warranted one way or the other.

• Paid Members
One thing about Teixeira is despite people thinking he's a banger, which he is, he's also a very accomplished grappler and has competed in the ADCC's I think.

I'd laugh my tits off if he took Rampage down for three whole rounds. It's exactly what the moaning nutcase deserves.

• Paid Members

Edson Barboza's kick is through to the final four of the ESPYs 'Play Of The Year' award. That's a great achievement considering he was ranked the 14th seed out of 16 entrants. He's also the only pro athlete left in the running, with the other three nominees all being from college sports.

Would be great to see an MMA fighter get this kind of recognition.

• Paid Members

good god, just watched this week's Inside MMA. Listening to just Kenny Rice and Bas Rutten try to fill time by talking MMA can be excrutiating. They've been partners now for years but they still have no chemistry together....and Kenny Rice is just clueless.

• Paid Members
Say what you will about Rampage, he's clearly not worried about his reputation should he lose to Teixeira (cough Shogun cough)

Ha. Get out. To be honest, I'm not sure Rampage cares full stop these days. Plus although Shogun is coming off a loss, it was a loss in maybe the greatest fight in UFC history where he came back from a disasterous start to the point you could argue he deserved a draw.

Rampage on the other hand lost a shutout decision in one of the shittiest fights so far in 2012 and this is also his last fight.

There's a difference there in regards to guys turning fights down for business reasons and a guy on the way out the company. Rampage was in no position to say no really.

• Paid Members

Korean Zombie is pushing for the Aldo fight still. I really hope they give him it. Would kinda suck for Erik Koch after he was named as next in line but they need to capitalise on an Aldo vs Zombie fight while it's there I think.

Zombie is not only more popular than Koch, he's more deserving of the title shot aswell. While Koch is coming off a razor close decision to Jonathan Brookins and wins over decent lower card fighters like Assuncao and Rivera, Jung is 3-0 in the UFC with three spectacular finishes and has blown everyone away in all three fights. First the history making first ever Twister in UFC history, then a shock 7 second KO and then a FOTY candidate. And unlike Koch, he's done it against top level 145ers like Hominick and Poirier.

Jung's really caught on, he's probably the most popular FW they have, and Aldo vs Zombie could be the biggest 145lbs fight to date in MMA history. I think promoted right, it would surpass Aldo vs Faber. They'd be nuts not to make that fight next imo.

I'm obviously going to say that TKZ is deserving of a title shot, being a huge fan, but he has done nothing but impress since coming to the UFC. I said at the beginning of the year he should be set for getting a title shot this year anyway.

Also somemore pics of Ronda from her ESpn shoot slightly NSFW. http://www.5thround.com/122191/ronda-rouse...the-body-issue/

also a short vid about it again slightly NSFW http://youtu.be/nlAlxKSQOxY

Anybody know what the last show in August will be before the ESPN deal is up?

The last show in August scheduled is on August 11th and is meant to be Bendo vs Edgar. After that the next one is Hendo vs Jones on September 1st.

EDIT: I agree on Aldo vs Jung, that would make a great headline fight for the NYE show, maybe couple it Anderson vs someone and you could have a worthy show for New Year.

Ronda Rousey? :)

Archived