The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

Interesting article about Wanderlei Silva -  https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Wanderlei-Silva-Says-He-Suffers-from-Multiple-Concussion-Symptoms-Has-No-Plans-to-Retire-149345

He's mental. An absolute lunatic. 

And remember this guy's prime was 2001-2005. The wars were starting to catch up with him 15 years ago. 

I was reading that article early this morning. After the first paragraph I thought to myself 'right, Wanderlei is going to see sense here and retire now after getting this wake up call'. I get to the end of the article and he's talking about fighting Vitor twice more! The man needs an intervention. 

Unfortunately I would guess that he won't be the only Chute Boxe fighter from that era that will have this to look forward to in their late 40's and 50's. It would kind of be a miracle if even half of these older fighters that sparred hard almost every day of the week, didn't end up with serious brain injuries. 

• Paid Members

So erm...

xpnyr2.jpg

Now, as much as I disagree with the UFC’s fascination with constant interim titles, in this case at lightweight I kind of agree that an interim belt might be warranted. There’s been talk recently that despite Khabib being eligible to return in April, he might sit out until his teammates who were suspended are back as well, out of loyalty or whatever. So if Khabib’s sitting on the bench until October or whenever, this is one of the rare cases where an interim title makes sense. OK, I’m fine with that.

BUT...McGregor and Cowboy? For 1) Conor McGregor vs Donald Cerrone doesn’t need an interim title. That’s a fight you could put on top of a PPV with no bells and whistles and it’ll sell. And 2) if there was going to be an interim title fight it should’ve been Tony Ferguson vs Dustin Poirier. End of.

Ferguson’s on an 11 fight streak with 8 of those finishes, in the toughest division in the sport. He’s beat Anthony Pettis, Kevin Lee, Rafael Dos Anjos and Edson Barboza. He already won the fucking interim title well over a year ago so shouldn’t really have to again but if Khabib were to sit out all year and Ferguson wanted to stay active, nobody should be jumping over him in the interim queue.

Poirier’s unbeaten in his last 5. And in his last 3 fights he stopped Eddie Alvarez, Justin Gaethje and Anthony Pettis. He beat those 3 in just a 9 month span as well, which is crazy. And they were all FOTN wars, the Gaethje fight was FOTY. 

We’re going to pass these two over for a Conor McGregor who hasn’t won a fight in over 2 years, has barely even fought in MMA in 2 years, and got dominated and tapped out by Khabib in October. And Cerrone, who I love and he’s on a great run, but he’s won ONE fight since being back at lightweight. 

I get all the business shit but this is bollocks. If the landscape of the division was different and all the top contenders were coming off losses or injured or whatever, fine. I’d be cool with this. But not only do they have a way more deserving challenger, they have TWO. 

If I had my way we’d be getting these fights at 155 over the next 6 months or so;

- Khabib vs Ferguson for the title next, with Poirier as the backup when one of them inevitably drops out again.

- McGregor vs Cerrone. Not for an interim title. I’d either have it main event a PPV on its own or stick it as co-main to a title fight. 

- Aldo vs Pettis. I’d do something else with Wonderboy. Aldo vs Pettis is the one. 

- Poirier vs Iaquinta. If Khabib vs Ferguson goes ahead and Poirier isn’t needed in that mix, this is the fight I’d make if possible. 

- Gaethje vs Barboza. This is obviously already happening. 

And maybe Kevin Lee vs Gregor Gillespie as Gillespie’s first big step up. 

But I’m guessing we’ll get Khabib being inactive most of the year. As a result, Ferguson sits out most of the year. McGregor vs Cerrone for the interim strap. If McGregor wins he leapfrogs Ferguson and gets the Khabib rematch, which is bullshit. If Cowboy wins they go with another try at Khabib vs Ferguson. Meanwhile Poirier gets left out again and has to keep taking on killers to try to stay relevant. He’ll probably lose and never end up getting his shot, or he’ll get there eventually but he’ll be so beaten down from all the wars that he’ll be a spent force when he finally gets the shot. 

Or McGregor gets done for rape or selling crack or whatever he’s up to this month and none of the above happens. 

BC15B0BA-4201-429F-8743-DB936119D133.gif

• Paid Members

A friend of mine recently sent me this video of "Sugar" Sean O'Malley. I'd heard of him, but never seen him. Love this guy's breakdown of his style. I love this type of fighter - the guy compares him very appropriately to Jon Jones, but the first thing he put me in mind of was as an MMA equivalent of Tommy Hearns, of whom I'm a fan. Lanky frame with intelligent use of distance and reach, powerful, sniping shots, and fluid, elusive movement. I'm interested to see how he does, and I think @UK Kat Von D would probably like to see his progress too.

EDIT: Aw, dang. Just read he got flagged for doping and banned for six months. That's genuinely disappointing.

Gastelum vs Adesanya is pencilled in for UFC 236 on April 13th. An interim title will be on the line. 

Dana has also stated that a date and an opponent is set for DC's return. Dana has confirmed that Ngannou won't be the opponent. So I presume it's either Brock or Jones.

23 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

Gastelum vs Adesanya is pencilled in for UFC 236 on April 13th. An interim title will be on the line. 

Dana has also stated that a date and an opponent is set for DC's return. Dana has confirmed that Ngannou won't be the opponent. So I presume it's either Brock or Jones.

Option C Stipe? 

The MW division has been a mess ever since GSP said he was coming back, hasn't it? But the interim strap sounds the right thing to do.  Adesanya has been very busy indeed, I think he's gone the full distance in three of his five fights since his debut last February - one of those was five rounds. 

Archived