The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Tyron Woodley said on the MMA Hour he's moving up to MW at the end of the year.

Hard.

All being well he'll have wrecked Colby by then. Woodley could be a hell of a force at MW. More shifting about in the upwards trajectory seems to be happening after people being able to see what the likes of Whittaker, Gastelum, Smith, DC, Santos etc have been able to do. It's interesting too that a lot of the guys moving up haven't looked undersized at their new weight class. Hopefully Yoel Romero and Luke Rockhold follow suit in the coming months. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
27 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah I read that he wants to beat Usman and Covington then move up by the end of 2019. To be fair he’d have almost cleaned out the division if he beats those two. No doubt Ben Askren coming in is a factor as well. Shades of the Cain and DC thing from years ago here. Woodley moves up and leaves 170 for Askren to take over. 

Oh and Jorge Masvidal tweeted this. Till vs Masvidal for London anyone?

FDF2BEF2-7041-4BCA-B57D-C3075BAD8F78.jpeg

yeh, it looks likely that Till is locked in as the headliner. If its between Masvidal or Edwards, i'd chose Masvidal.

• Paid Members

He’ll be fast as fuck at 185 as well. There isn’t really another guy at 185 who’s as athletic as Woodley is and has his combination of explosion and wrestling. Apart from Yoel and he’s 40 and might be off to 205. 

• Paid Members

You fancy his power will hold up too, given how explosive he is. Hopefully, he stays healthy and this is Woodley's year. If he cleans out his division in impressive style (like he did with Till) then Woodley is not only in with a shout for fighter of the year, but he's getting in that GOAT discussion. Gastelum, Lawler, Wonderboy, Maia, Till, Usman and Covington - how many other fighters have defeated a list as high-level as that on the current roster? It's not many. Legit as fook.

• Paid Members

Darren Till talking to IFL says Proper 12 is shite and he wants to fight McGregor. 

I’ve got no interest in Till vs McGregor, to be honest. Till dwarved Woodley he’d be absolutely massive next to McGregor. I get that it’s the payday but it’s a bit of a weak callout when you’re challenging a guy who probably walks around about 3st lighter than you. Till’s got to be about 210lbs or so out of camp. 

• Paid Members

Nice. Leon Edwards vs Gunnar Nelson is the co-main as well. It’s on MMAJunkie. 

So the card so far looks like this;

Darren Till vs Jorge Masvidal 

Leon Edwards vs Gunnar Nelson 

Volkan Oezdemir vs Dominick Reyes 

Danny Roberts vs Claudio Silva 

Molly McCann vs Priscilla Cachoeira 

Jack Marshman vs John Phillips 

Tom Breese vs Cezar Ferreira 

Gokhan Saki vs Saparbek Safarov

I think that’s a really good lineup. Best card we’ve had in a while for me. 

• Paid Members

It certainly feels like the deepest UK and possibly European card that the UFC have put on in quite some time. All that, plus it's on at a reasonable hour too? There's nothing to not like in that scenario. 

Archived