The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

yeh i wouldnt be surprised to see Jones go on a mental clean up spree at 205lb just to solidy his status as the GOAT. Smith first, then possibly the winner of Reyes/Volkan, then maybe Corey Anderson. Its gonna be like Mighty Mouse' 125lb reign but at 205lb.

...oh Rockhold too, i could see him maybe win one fight and leapfrog the queue given the state of the division.

If he goes through them as quickly and easily as he did Gusty then there's no reason why he can't fight every two or three months, either!

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The fight announcements are coming thick and fast this week. 

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/1/8/18174329/tim-boetsch-vs-omari-akhmedov-three-other-bouts-official-for-ufc-wichita

UFC Wichita has Derrick Lewis Vs Junior Dos Santos as it's main event, along with fellow big fella's Blagoy Ivanov taking on Ben Rothwell following his hibernation. I don't like Lewis Vs Dos Santos. I want them both to win. Who the fuck are we meant to cheer in that one? Can we have a draw?

As well as that Gusty is calling out Corey Anderson, with the London card in mind. How that fight goes down will tell us a lot about both men's career trajectories. I don't think Gusty loses to Anderson unless he is really a shell of himself. Anderson meanwhile is on a good winning streak and a win over Gusty would probably see him get the next title shot after Jon Jones Vs Anthony Smith, should Beastin' be able to continue the roll he's on.

There's always Luke Rockhold who is going to try and slide in there, but he really needs to win a fight at 205 first, as well as make it to the cage in one piece, which hasn't been the easiest for him this past while with various different injuries. 

• Paid Members

Ah that changes things a bit. I wonder if Gustafsson still tries to fight that date to get back on the horse, and it might suit the UFC to have two LHW fights on the card in case something happens to someone in the Volkan fight before then. 

• Paid Members

Gustafsson vs Thiago Santos would be my pick but I’ve just seen that Santos is already booked to fight Jan Blachowicz next month. Shame. Couldn’t give much of a fuck about Santos vs Blachowicz, whereas Gus vs Santos has my nips all hard. 

Just read that Rose Namajunas vs Jessica Andrade is official for UFC 237 in Brazil in May. About time, can’t wait for that. Got a feeling Andrade is taking the strap in that one. Fair play to Rose though. Going into hostile territory and defending the title against a bulldozer like Andrade is ballsy. 

• Paid Members

Santos Vs Blachowicz is a strange one as I get the feeling the UFC would prefer Santos to win, but I would make him the underdog in that one. 

I'm picking Andrade for the strap in that fight as well. Not as a knock on Rose, but that I think on her day, Andrade can knock anyone in the division into cloud Cuckoo land and I'm banking on her being able to land a super clean windmill punch at least once in that fight. 

• Paid Members

Yeah that and Andrade also has the capability to take her down and overwhelm her with her strength and grappling. Rose has clearly improved since Carla Esparza outwrestled and submitted her in the TUF finale but I still think it’s a weaker area of Rose’s overall game. She’s good offensively with submissions but I’m not convinced she deals with Andrade on the mat. They’re both listed as BJJ brown-belts but Andrade has the strength to go with her technique at Strawweight. On the feet I think Rose could outland her but I don’t think she has the power to keep Andrade off and at some point Andrade is going to waffle her. I’m not sure she withstands it. 

Not saying Rose can’t win, but when you look at their styles it’s hard to see a clear path for her. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, WeeAl said:

Santos Vs Blachowicz is a strange one as I get the feeling the UFC would prefer Santos to win, but I would make him the underdog in that one. 

Blachowicz has really turned the corner in the UFC and become a bit a player at 205. The UFC will be aware of his popularity amongst the Polish fans too so he's handy to have around. If he wins again against Santos the UFC could add Blachowicz to the Jon Jones sweepstakes, do that fight in New York and the Poles will be out in force.

• Paid Members

Blachowicz vs Manuwa 2 from last year was really good to be fair. First time I’d really enjoyed watching Blachowicz though. Never really got into him before. 

For me it’s just, of all the potentially amazing fights for Santos at 205, Blachowicz wasn’t on my list. 

Jones is going to squash them all regardless. When you look at the division currently, DC’s no longer in it so the second best 205er in the world right now is surely Alexander Gustafsson. Then you look at how decisively and easily Jones shut him down and took him out the other week and it’s scary. He’s so far ahead of the rest it’s insane. I could see guys like Smith, Oezdemir, Reyes and Santos at least being competitive with Gus and all would probably be good fights to watch. Put any of them against Jones though and they’re most likely coming out of it looking like a total jobber. 

• Paid Members

It's certainly interesting if they're adamant about not doing Colby/Woodley. 

Risky fight for Till though. Another loss could really harm his stock and Colby ain't no joke. Build up would be super fun too. 

Team Covington! 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, David said:

Wonder how many times Covington will mention the state of english people's teeth in the build-up? Like a classic WWF heel from days gone by.

He needs to used the Matt Riddle approved, "Butter toothed Brits" line for maximum heel heat. 

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Tyron Woodley said on the MMA Hour he's moving up to MW at the end of the year.

Hard.

Yeah I read that he wants to beat Usman and Covington then move up by the end of 2019. To be fair he’d have almost cleaned out the division if he beats those two. No doubt Ben Askren coming in is a factor as well. Shades of the Cain and DC thing from years ago here. Woodley moves up and leaves 170 for Askren to take over. 

Oh and Jorge Masvidal tweeted this. Till vs Masvidal for London anyone?

FDF2BEF2-7041-4BCA-B57D-C3075BAD8F78.jpeg

Archived