The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

Don't fuck with Polyana Viana is the lesson to be learned here;

On Saturday night at around 8 p.m. local time, a man tried to steal UFC strawweight Polyana Viana’s phone. Not only did he leave empty-handed, but he also got some painful reminders of his mistake in the process.

On Sunday, Viana recounted the events to MMAjunkie.

According to Viana, she was waiting for an Uber in front of her apartment complex in Jacarepagua, a neighborhood in the West Zone of Rio de Janeiro, when a man approached her. He must have been sneaky, Viana said, because when she noticed his presence he was already quite close.

“When he saw I saw him, he sat next to me,” Viana said. “He asked me the time, I said it, and I saw he wasn’t going to leave. So I already moved to put my cell phone in my waist. And then he said, ‘Give me the phone. Don’t try to react, because I’m armed.’ Then he put his hand over (a gun), but I realized it was too soft.

“He was really close to me. So I thought, ‘If it’s a gun, he won’t have time to draw it.’ So I stood up. I threw two punches and a kick. He fell, then I caught him in a rear-naked choke. Then I sat him down in the same place we were before and said, ‘Now we’ll wait for the police.’”

Later, Viana (10-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) would find out that the gun actually wasn’t a gun at all. It was a cutout in the shape of a handgun made out of cardboard paper. At the time, though, the Viana said the only thing she knew was that it wasn’t a real gun – possibly a toy weapon or maybe a knife.

Viana was alone but asked for help from passers-by to call the police once the man was subdued. She said she then kept his arm immobilized in a kimura-like position until they arrived. According to Viana, they took him to an emergency care facility to address his wounds and then to the station, where she filed a police report.

Viana said she also learned at the station that the man had been arrested before and had only recently been released.

Viana says she was aware the area was dangerous, which is why she avoids wandering around alone. But she figured that, considering she was directly in front of the entrance of the building, close to the cabin where the doormen stayed, she’d be safe.

As scary as the situation sounds, Viana actually remained calm.

“I was fine,” Viana said. “I was fine because he didn’t even react after. Since he took the punches very quickly, I think he was scared. So he didn’t react anymore. He told me to let him go, like ‘I just asked for the time.’ I said, ‘Asked for the time my ass,’ because he saw I was very angry. I said I wouldn’t let go and that I was going to call the police.

“He said, ‘Call the police, then’ because he was scared I was going to beat him up more.”

That, it turns out, wasn’t the first time the 27-year-old fighter experienced something like this. While she had never been mugged in Rio, where she’s lived for a couple of years, it had happened in her previous home of Belem. She said she was approached by two men in a motorcycle; one stayed, while the other charged at her.

“He broke my umbrella and tried to take my phone,” Viana said of the Belem incident. “I said I wasn’t going to give it to him. He tried to take it from my hand, I punched him in the face, and he was scared. This time I was scared. I don’t know if it was because there were two of them.

“So I was scared, but I think he was more scared than I was, so he jumped on the motorcycle and left.”

After leaving the police station on Saturday, Viana says she simply went home and made dinner. On Sunday, she said her hands hurt a little but that it’s nothing serious, and she’s otherwise unharmed.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Your sources are slipping TildeGuy. 

22 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

according to Ariel Helwai, Woodley/Usman is a done deal to serve as the co-main on the same show as Jones/Smith (which isnt yet confirmed).

Some more fight news announced for UFC 235.

"Former bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt is the recent addition to the UFC 235 card in Las Vegas, as he meets Pedro Munhoz at the T-Mobile Arena on March 2, sources confirmed to MMA Fighting following a report by ESPN."

Decent knock that, Munhoz deserves a step up after his most recent performance but it's still winnable enough for Cody to get back on track. He'll have to hope Dillashaw drops the belt, because that's a trilogy fight that's got no legs behind it.

• Paid Members

Those fights kind of confirm that at the very least, Cormier isn't retiring before he turns 40 and that it'll be April at the earliest before he fights again, with the spots in January, February and March all sewn up. Whether or not this is because they are going with the idea of Brock being clear of WrestleMania duties after April or DC just not being adamant about his retirement date anymore is something that I would imagine we'll see play out over the course of this month. 

• Paid Members

Yeah Dana was saying at the 232 post-fight press conference that DC seems more open to delaying his retirement a little bit. I can see him just extending it until the end of the year now. That way he can maybe squeeze a Brock fight and a Jones or Stipe or whoever in. If you remember, after he beat Stipe and was on about retiring in March, the plan was to get 3 more fights in. That was always a bit too optimistic IMO, trying to do 3 fights from July-March. It’s doable if things run smoothly but when do they ever in MMA? He had one fight and defended the heavyweight strap against Lewis. I think 2 fights this year is realistic. The Brock fight is the one he probably wants most. After that, I guess Jones again but I’m really done with that rivalry. It’s been nearly 5 years since that feud started with the press conference push/brawl argy bargy and Jones is 2-0. It’s just played out now. I’d like to see DC vs Brock, I think that could be fun. After that, I’d rather see DC retire but if he’s going to fight again then I’d rather see a Stipe rematch than reheating the Jones thing again. I’m just over it. 

• Paid Members

DC said that he's probably going to have to extend his retirement tour because he got a lot of injuries last year and, given his age, feels he needs a bit more time to recover. At his age, he had 3 high level championship fights last year, which is pretty mad. He done his back preparing for Stipe and his hand is still a little messed up.

I do hope we get the Jones fight at HW.

12 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

After that, I’d rather see DC retire but if he’s going to fight again then I’d rather see a Stipe rematch than reheating the Jones thing again. I’m just over it. 

I mostly agree. 

Nevertheless, the Twitter exchanges between the two over Christmas, and the UFC's obvious enthusiasm for the rivalry, probably means that they are going to fight again. I could stomach them fighting at Heavyweight, That's a new spin on the rivalry and would raise a new set of questions because Jones has never fought at heavyweight. But another clash at 205lbs does nothing for me. DC would need to fight the perfect fight to win. Which is very difficult to do against a shrewd fighter like Jones who has talent to spare. 

The most interesting fights involving Jones and Khabib are the ones that make little business sense. For example, I would be well up for Jones vs Miocic. Or Khabib vs Tony. But they are unlikely to happen because there are duller but more profitable fights to be made. 

This is nothing new of course. No one who was really into MMA was intrigued by Ortiz and Shamrock's third meeting in 2006. Everyone who followed MMA properly knew what the outcome was going to be. But Zuffa had just enough justification to make the fight and pop a decent TV rating in the process. But still, I can't say the route that the UFC are likely to take with their most prominent fighters is one that I am anticipating.

I really hope we at least get Brock vs Jones/DC. 

I think If the Jones who turned up against Gustafsson shows up against anyone, be it at light-heavy or heavy, it's going to be extremely hard to beat him.

that was him coming off a layoff and a lot of personal problems that were supposed to have distracted him. Imagine him on a straight run where all he has to do is train?

Christ.

As much as I dislike Jones as a person, I do enjoy watching him fight. He's not always the most exciting fighter to watch, but he's such a talent. I was the same with GSP when he was in his prime. Some hated watching him grapplefuck his opponent or jab their head off for 25 minutes. But I enjoyed it because he was such a master of his craft (the Hardy and Shields fights aside)

Thus, Jones will always have my attention when he fights. Whether it's a squash match or not. But there are certainly fights that I want to see him in more than others. Miocic and Lesnar are the two I really want to see him in with. Miocic because I think it could be somewhat competitive. Lesnar for the spectacle. 

• Paid Members

Jones is so good, 205 just feels boring and uninspired right now. The only fight there I'd be arsed with is Rumble. 

I'd predict a Jones win and a Rumble mental crumble, but it only takes one shot if Johnson is involved. Very intruiging for me.

Whilst it seems unlikely, Jones at heavyweight sounds all kinds of fun

Jones v Stipe, Brock, Cain, DC and. even an Ngannou would be very interesting. 

The likely scenario is that Jones continues to clean out the scrubs at 205 though. 

• Paid Members

yeh i wouldnt be surprised to see Jones go on a mental clean up spree at 205lb just to solidy his status as the GOAT. Smith first, then possibly the winner of Reyes/Volkan, then maybe Corey Anderson. Its gonna be like Mighty Mouse' 125lb reign but at 205lb.

...oh Rockhold too, i could see him maybe win one fight and leapfrog the queue given the state of the division.

Archived