The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Chunk said:

What are Sean Shelby and Mick Maynard doing if Dana is booking the fights ...

They're running their ideas past Dana I'd imagine. If you think he doesn't have final say on who fights who then I don't know what to tell you.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, David said:

They're running their ideas past Dana I'd imagine. If you think he doesn't have final say on who fights who then I don't know what to tell you.

Just asking, boss.

I assumed Dana would have a hand in the main events (especially heavyweights) and any fights for big up-and-comers but the rest of the cards would be filled out but Shelby and Maynard before Dana signs off. 

10 hours ago, Chunk said:

Just asking, boss.

I assumed Dana would have a hand in the main events (especially heavyweights) and any fights for big up-and-comers but the rest of the cards would be filled out but Shelby and Maynard before Dana signs off. 

Yeah, that sounds about right.

• Paid Members

There’s a Fight Night in Brazil on Feb 2nd that’s looking good. Raphael Assuncao vs Marlon Moraes 2 headlines. That could and should be a title eliminator with the winner facing the TJ/Cejudo winner. Then you’ve got Jose Aldo vs Renato Moicano, which I love the sound of. Demian Maia vs Lyman Good and Thiago Alves vs Max Griffin - decent. And Johnny Walker is back against Justin Ledet. Walker had an awesome debut recently and really looks like a 205er worth keeping an eye on. 

Askren vs Lawler has been rescheduled for UFC 235 as well, which is the same card Nick Diaz vs Jorge Masvidal is meant to be going down on. 

• Paid Members

He’s definitely underrated but to be fair, he was granted a title shot when Barao was champ, but unfortunately he got injured. Think that’s when Dillashaw stepped in and dethroned Barao. Since then he’s been racking up wins but he’s just been left out because that TJ vs Alpha Male feud (with a side order of Cruz) was dominating the title picture. It’ll be a shame if he never even gets a shot at the belt because he’s too good for that. But yeah, I think Moraes beats him this time. Which I’m fine with too. I’m really hoping Moraes beats Assuncao and TJ beats Cejudo and we get TJ vs Moraes for the strap sometime next year. That’s an absolute killer fight IMO. Almost a smaller version of Holloway vs Ortega for me. 

4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Assuncao i probably the hardest done by contender in the the UFC. I dont see him getting by Moraes for a second time though.

I thought he would falter against Aljamain Sterling, but he came through that fight as well. I'm done doubting the guy, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him come in and look better than ever. He's 36 years old now, so if he's going to get that shot it probably has to be soon.

From the BBC Sports Page.

Jon Jones has told Daniel Cormier to fight him for a third time to "prove you're the champ", and says he will donate $100,000 to charity if he does.

The American was stripped of his light-heavyweight title after testing positive for a banned substance before their bout at UFC 214 on 28 July, 2017.

The United States Anti-Doping Agency (Usada) found Jones, whose knockout of Cormier was recorded as a no contest, "was not intentionally cheating".

Jones called Cormier a "freaking joke".

Cormier, who wants to retire on his 40th birthday on 20 March next year, currently holds the light-heavyweight and heavyweight titles.

However, he will vacate the light-heavyweight crown when Jones faces Alexander Gustafsson for the title at UFC 232 on 29 December.

"Fight me one more time and prove you're actually the champ, champ," Jones, who won the first bout between the two by unanimous decision in 2015, wrote on Twitterafter Cormier questioned his innocence.

"I'll donate $100,000 to a charity in San Diego if you accept.

"Conor McGregor was an actual double champ, the whole world knows your claim is a freaking joke. You're more than welcome to be my first title defence," he added.

Not really. He's running away from being stripped, isn't he?

Dana's on record as saying he'd strip Daniel the minute JJ and Gus were in the cage, and this is DC saying 'fuck that, i'll go down on my own terms.'

Dana's head would pop if the fight falls apart between now and tomorrow.

Archived