The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

To be fair, they haven’t really used him that much have they? Shame because he’s really good but Rogan’s always the lead colour guy on the PPVs, with DC or Cruz as the third man (not Mabel) and a lot of the Fight Night colour spots lately have been filled by Felder or Hardy. You’d think ONE will have him as a much more regular fixture and he’ll probably make just as much money, if not more, judging by how ONE are splashing the cash at the moment. It’s a win/win for him l guess. It is a shame though because I think he’s better than Felder, Hardy and maybe even Cruz myself.

I know Rogan’s part of the furniture but for me Anik, DC and Jimmy Smith would be my number one team. Anik’s really grown on me after a slow start, he’s actually really good as the main anchor doing play-by-play, certainly a vast improvement on Mike Goldberg. DC brings some personality and flavour to it and definitely credibility given that he’s one of the best P4P in company history and a double champ. And then Smith is kind of the MMA human encyclopaedia figure who can really add to the whole thing. Sort of what Mike Tenay was in WCW with the cruiserweight matches. Anik, DC and Smith are the ideal blend for me for an announce team. 

• Paid Members

Felder seems a nice guy but he is quite arse on the headset. It has to be said. I didn’t really mind him at first but he’s just dull now. Never really adds anything that you think is a great call or info that teaches you something or...anything really. Hopefully when Bisping starts doing the commentary they’ll phase Felder out. I don’t mind him as a FOX analyst in short bursts. He’s decent in that role. But when he’s out there for 3, 4, 5 hours it exposes how little of note he’s got to say. 

Bisping should be great. Can’t wait until he calls a Rockhold or Masvidal fight. 

1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

He's another one Dana hates/hated, but Joe "I just call the fights" Rogan had a word to get him the gig. Clearly Dana still isn't a fan, seeing as B Team Felder is getting the PPVs, at the moment.

Why would Dana hate Jimmy Smith? he's not as good as Joe Rogan and probably did better in Bellator but he's not exactly known for doing anything outlandish or saying anything that would get anybody mad at him. He's not a robot repeating the same shit, who clearly has had his day like in Mike Goldberg.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, the_mole said:

Why would Dana hate Jimmy Smith?

Who knows with Dana, but he clearly doesn't rate him, which is why Rogan had to put a word in. Given his contract length, current position on the broadcasts and, by the looks of it, them not renewing, it's clear he's done little to persuade Dana that he's good enough for the gig. Similar to Askren, if it wasn't for Rogan, Dana wouldn't have even bothered considering him.

1 hour ago, the_mole said:

Why would Dana hate Jimmy Smith? he's not as good as Joe Rogan and probably did better in Bellator but he's not exactly known for doing anything outlandish or saying anything that would get anybody mad at him. He's not a robot repeating the same shit, who clearly has had his day like in Mike Goldberg.

Are you actually being serious with that post? He's not as good as Joe "OOOOOOOW" Rogan? Jimmy Smith is like Joe Rogan 2.0. Better commentator, better analyst, and he could probably find Bigfoot before Rogan as well if he was arsed about searching.

• Paid Members

That's not a fight that I had ever thought about, but now I've heard it's a possibility I really want to see it. Much like the Ngannou/Stipe fight, you would have to think it's down to whether or not Francis can land a bomb in the first three minutes, and if not then he's likely to get suffocated after that, providing Cain has anything left in the tank. Good match up.

• Paid Members

It's an odd one. 

Feels like Dana is still pissed at Ngannou. Heavyweight is so thin at the top, and with Francis getting back in the win column seems crazy to potentially derail him again facing off with strong wrestler. 

Either way, you're losing a contender. 

• Paid Members

There's certainly the element of short-termism there, as always these days, as once Cormier retires you've got to imagine you would want to be in the position to book Miocic Vs Cain, if at all possible. 

Should Cormier fight and win in March, then leave the title vacant, ideally you would want the next HW champ to be crowned as soon as possible. 

Maybe it'll be Dos Santos Vs Miocic 3 for the vacant strap at that point (assuming Brock or Jones don't end up dethroning DC in March) with the winner of Ngannou/Cain facing the winner of Stipe/Dos Santos? 

For a change I can actually see the sense in what he's doing. If Cain is a shot fighter there's a better than average chance he'll be out with another injury before long, and if that's the case why not rebuild a potential star off him?

And if Cain is back and good as ever, then a win against big Frank will catapult him into the title picture again in a hurry. 

Archived