The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Alhassan was a guy I was really becoming a fan of and thought he came across really likeable in interviews and stuff. Just goes to show we think we know these guys because we see them all the time following the sport closely, but in truth we know so little. Mad to think that when he was KOing Niko Price at UFC 228 in September and we were all loving him, this story was lurking and we were none the wiser. 

Horrific stuff right enough, but I think the UFC are right to continue booking him until he's found guilty of the crime. As of now he's denying it, so we'll see how it plays out I guess.

18 hours ago, WeeAl said:

Add this to the list of dodgy things about Khabib. It sounds like he would fit right in, over there in Saudi Arabia, with these views.

Not entirely unusual views considering his religious background really, are they? 

• Paid Members

Yeah, that’s a bit underwhelming that Cerrone fight. I was sure when the rumours of him fighting McGregor were shot down that we’d be getting Cerrone vs Gaethje. The way Cowboy was talking as well I think there was definitely a different plan that must’ve fallen through because Hernandez doesn’t fit in with what he was saying. All that said though, Hernandez has looked good and it should still be an exciting fight. It’s just a bit of a letdown from a names POV. 

• Paid Members

I don't think I would have put Hernandez in the top 6 or 7 names that I expected Cerrone to get booked against next. As you say Wand, it'll still be a good fight, but I think we were all hoping for a McGregor, Gaethje, or one of the other murderers row that is the top 10. 

In other news, ONE Championship have got a US broadcasting deal with Turner. Wheels are really in motion with all the talent acquisitions and now an increased profile in the West from January. It's good for the sport that so many of these companies have been able to get good paying deals for their programming. Hopefully the fighters really end up seeing the benefits of having employment options over the next while. 

https://www.f4wonline.com/mma-news/report-one-championship-turner-sports-sign-three-year-deal-272156

Fights will be on Bleacher Report Live, these are Asian primetime, so on really early, its another fuckin streaming app, but TNT or whoever are really good with their sports rights, there NBA coverage is the best around and I believe it's similar with MLB on sister channel TBS and they show most of March Madness (NCAA Basketball knockout tournament) which does huge numbers. It will show old events in primetime, a reality show and other shoulder programming.

I wonder if they can get on TV live over here, cards air lunch time and I think they mostly run Friday's, so most fans would be working, I had to say I was an adult just to watch the Nature Boy 30 for 30 on BT sports and they programmed it to be on at daytime, it wasn't a live event.

3 hours ago, the_mole said:

Fights will be on Bleacher Report Live, these are Asian primetime, so on really early, its another fuckin streaming app, but TNT or whoever are really good with their sports rights, there NBA coverage is the best around and I believe it's similar with MLB on sister channel TBS and they show most of March Madness (NCAA Basketball knockout tournament) which does huge numbers. It will show old events in primetime, a reality show and other shoulder programming.

TNT?

c3763ee7-14aa-4ac0-99b9-4371196a0684-ori

Hey Dana, you heard that I'm getting into the wrasslin' grappling business?

c0af489a-ede3-4dbf-8ff7-0530a29814bf-ori

2d0a1b31-5d69-4c50-a486-c23b4dcbff01-ori

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

One FC was on live here at one point on Premier Sports. Its a channel you have to pay for but i think i remember the One FC shows being shown as freeview.

That FreeSports channel have showed some ONE as well. On delay but usually later the same day. 

47 minutes ago, David said:

TNT?

c3763ee7-14aa-4ac0-99b9-4371196a0684-ori

Hey Dana, you heard that I'm getting into the wrasslin' grappling business?

c0af489a-ede3-4dbf-8ff7-0530a29814bf-ori

2d0a1b31-5d69-4c50-a486-c23b4dcbff01-ori

It is that TNT, he sold it to AOL in the 90's which probably killed WCW faster but doesnt line up with WWE who like to pretend, they beat old Ted themselves and Time Warner sold it to AT&T this year. they plan to start a streaming app as well.

So in America, outside of sports you will have Netflix, Amazon prime, Hulu, then Disney Plus, AT&T (who also own HBO) & Apple all plan streaming services in 2019, we'll probably get Disney Plus, as they are taking all their stuff off Netflix & Amazon.

Helwani:

The UFC’s Jan. 26 PPV card in Anaheim has been canceled. No suitable main event found after a lengthy search. Second time in two years this happens to Anaheim around that time (208). Bellator gets to run unopposed on that date now at The Forum. First reported by @bokamotoESPN.

Askren and Lawler will happen on a different date then. 

Oh, and I love a bit of Easy E. 

I read that UFC 234 is going to remain as UFC 234 as well.  On Jan 19 they're at Barclays Center in Brooklyn for Dillashaw vs Cejudo - surely that becomes 233 even if it is put out on ESPN? A big freebie to kick off things on their new channel.  

Archived