The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

I wouldn't say good riddance to 125. DJ's one of the best fighters to watch ever. You show me another division where one of the top guys hits another top guy with a German suplex and transitions into a fucking ARMBAR [/jericho] in mid-air.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's Cruz's guess as he can't believe that Cejudo is fighting Dillashaw before him, Cruz who hasn't fought in 2 years and hasn't won in nearly 3 and probably has like 3 fights in the past 5 years. He made it clear no one told him this, he also said they made the 125 division because he beat several of them. Even though the UFC probably wanted a Hispanic or Asian fighter as champion as they seem to dominate those divisions in Boxing, Cejudo isn't actually Mexican, hes American like Cain but he's probably the closest they have got to a champion who speaks Spanish and has a strong Mexican heritage. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, the_mole said:

It's Cruz's guess as he can't believe that Cejudo is fighting Dillashaw before him, Cruz who hasn't fought in 2 years and hasn't won in nearly 3 and probably has like 3 fights in the past 5 years.

That's a bit off, downplaying his record like that. Sure, he's not fought in a while and is injury-prone, but until the loss to Garbrandt he hadn't lost in twelve matches, he only has two losses on his entire record, and one of them was to Urijah Faber, whom he went on to win the trilogy against.

35 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

That's a bit off, downplaying his record like that. Sure, he's not fought in a while and is injury-prone, but until the loss to Garbrandt he hadn't lost in twelve matches, he only has two losses on his entire record, and one of them was to Urijah Faber, whom he went on to win the trilogy against.

I actually forgot about his last Faber fight and I wasn't downplaying him as an opponent, I was saying he hasn't fought a lot which is true. He beat DJ in 2011, got injured then beat Mizugaki in 2014, beat Dillashaw in a split decision at the start of 2016, beat Faber and got clearly beat off Gambrandt at the end of 2016 and hasn't fought since. Dillashaw didn't get an immediate rematch despite it being a split decision, he then looked good in 2 non title fights (one was avenging his only loss in years besides Cruz again by split decision and in the rematch he beat Assuncio easily on the same night Cody beat Cruz) he then beat Cody 2 times both by KO, if I'm Dillashaw I want him to at least beat somebody before I would fight him.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

First ive heard of that, any sources?

Sergio moving up seems a bit desperate. A bit like Anthony cutting to 145.

Marc Raimondi and Shaun Al-Shatti made reference to it on their podcast this week. Both said they had heard lots of rumours about it again lately. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Dana didnt say it was to do with card space did he? I thought he said the main reason 165 wont happen is because it would destroy two established divisions.

Yeah he said that over and over in the build up to 229. 

Talking of Alvarez and ONE FC, you can't grudge him going there for what sounds like a very good financial offer, but I did chuckle when he said;

“If I was to retire and there was an organization out there that was the best in the world and I wasn’t able (to fight there), and people would come to me and they would go, ‘Yeah, but he didn’t win the ONE world title.’ – then that would bug me,” Alvarez said.

Yeah, I'm sure fans who argue his credentials would be like "well, he never won the ONE world title, did he?!?!"

Archived