The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
15 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

I wouldn't think that would be an issue in the slightest. Former double champ and who likely beats up Lesnar for real before hand. You can run with that massively. Even with the Jon Jones tears. 

Also, with his cropped head, rotund build and short stature, all they'd have to do is stick him in a black singlet, and he could easily be Taz 2.0 - like Taz, but proper legit.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, OzExile said:

It was the five-year anniversary of this fight though. I wouldn't be surprised if he came back quickly and fought at heavyweight though. 

Is that purely because that's where the money fights are? He never seemed to struggle to cut to LHW, so surely from an ease of winning perspective it makes sense to stay there.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Chunk said:

Is that purely because that's where the money fights are?

Jones has been very honest that he's basically looking for the big fights, sometimes claiming to be inspired by Conor's "fook it. I'll have some of that" attitude, but really because he's pointed out that with him being a nutter he's missed out on A LOT of big pay days over the last five years - basically had a trickle of his potential outcome.

You can maybe see him campaigning to get DC at HW, with the hope he can best DC and then steal his Brock pay day. However, seeing how much Dana probably loathes the guy, I doubt he'll fall for it. You fancy DC thinking to himself "well, I'm knocking guys out at HW" with regards to that fight. Truth is, despite DC having one of the great UFC careers those Jones fights will always take him down a level.

Personally, Jones at HW is a ton more interesting than Jones at LHW. DC's dominance over it has taken the shine of some fighters and, outside of Gus, I doubt Jones is getting in too much trouble taking down most in his top 10. At HW you've got Stipe, Brock, Reem and, maybe, Cain all there for Jones.

Honestly, it's a wee shame Stipe lost to DC (as much as I love DC), because Jones v Stipe for the HW and GOAT title would have been insane.

• Paid Members

With LHW being so threadbare, Gus is the only real option. Jones has beaten pretty much everyone of note already and there's nothing really enticing there. 

At HW there are plenty of fresh options and a Jones/Cain match up would be a  pretty mouthwatering fight with the DC stuff in the background. 

• Paid Members

Maybe. The MSG show is right at the start of November though. The Khabib vs Conor fight week is only about 4 weeks before the MSG show. Not much time for a training camp or building hype really, is it? Even if they announce it now there's not that much time. It's all a bit weird. I mean there are already a few great fights on 230 but nothing that should be on the marquee at MSG. What they've got at the moment is a very strong undercard but no main event. 

You're probably right about the announcement coming on the week of 229 though. I'm hoping that's all it is, they just want to save the announcement for 229 week and Jones and Gus have been training for weeks already. My guess is whatever the fight is, they'll announce it and bring the two fighters out for a face off after the 229 fight week presser or something. Like when they brought Nunes and Rousey out after the McGregor vs Alvarez presser. They must have something sorted by now surely. 230 is only 5 or so weeks away. 

Archived