The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Does it clash with a dental appointment?

Shouldn't be a problem. It's not being run by Bowler, so Chinese people should be allowed in, whatever the time.

• Paid Members

Like everyone else, I see Helwani's word as close to gospel as you're getting on all things MMA. But surely 230 has to be topped by Jones? What else screams MSG headliner of who's available? And the fact that the UFC have loaded the card up but still haven't announced a main event suggests they were waiting on something, right? Waiting to get the all clear that Jones would get the go-ahead from USADA? Add to that Jones is from New York, and is the biggest name New Yorker in the UFC not to have fought at MSG...it fits like a glove. I know the UFC under these new owners seems to be having a stroke or something but this is the easiest choice ever promotion wise.

230 needs a main event, Jon Jones just became available and he's also just about the perfect option for that card. The Fertittas would've been all over that shit. If Alfred 'Bones' Snitchcock doesn't end up in the MSG main event then I think it's a big misfire.

The Tweet I read of Helwani's said that he doesn't expect Jones to be announced as the UFC 230 headliner at tomorrow's press conference at MSG. He didn't necessarily rule out Jones headlining the card altogether. Unless I have missed something. GSP is the only other realistic option to headline the show. But the last I heard about him is that he's "waiting for the right fight". 

My money is on Jones vs Gus 2. Which would be ace. 

• Paid Members

If they do go with Jones/Gusty 2 does that main an initial main event fell out? Because i cant imagine the UFC banking on this USADA thing to happen, unless of course they had insider info and had a good idea that this would happen.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

GSP is the only other realistic option to headline the show. But the last I heard about him is that he's "waiting for the right fight".

"Waiting for the right fight". AKA "Waiting to see what happens with Khabib vs McGregor". 

GSP knows what's up. In the crazy probably not happening likelihood that McGregor somehow knocks Khabib out early and comes out unscathed...UFC 231 is in Toronto in December. It still seems too quick but it wouldn't be impossible to see GSP vs McGregor in Toronto. 

If Khabib vs Conor goes how I expect though, Khabib dominating, then I think we might just see GSP gear up for another go at the 170 title in 2019. 

GSP vs McGregor has to happen at some point though. I'm convinced we'll be seeing that sometime over the next year or so. 

And yeah, Jones vs Gus 2 at MSG would indeed be ace. I think that might be the plan. It's been very quiet on the Gus front, hasn't it? You'd think they'd have tried to reschedule that Gus vs Volkan fight they had booked but they went ahead with Volkan vs Smith instead. Nothing else makes sense for Gus now other than Jones or DC, and DC is busy with Brock. Jones vs Gus 2 is the fight I want to see. 

Imagine this as the MSG card's top fights....

Jon Jones vs Alexander Gustafsson 2 - Interim or Undisputed Light Heavyweight Title (depending on what DC does with the belt) 

Dustin Poirier vs Nate Diaz 

Luke Rockhold vs Chris Weidman 2 

Jacare Souza vs David Branch 

Derek Brunson vs Israel Adesanya

Tremendous. And Tyron Woodley has also mentioned possibly fighting Colby Covington on this card. 

I may be wrong here and maybe it has been bought up on here before, but I haven't see it or really heard it talked about on other websites that the big fight for GSP should be going back down to 170lbs to reclaim the belt he never lost against the guy who says he is the greatest "Welterweight" fighter of all time, Tyrone Woodley? It's a fight I personally would love to see.

• Paid Members

Yeah that's a great fight. But I reckon GSP will be after the McGregor fight first. Before McGregor does something stupid again or fucks off for another year. It's the same reason why GSP made sure he got that Nick Diaz fight in in 2013 before Diaz could fuck it up and fail the weed test for the 87th time. At the time people were screaming that he was ducking Johny Hendricks but that was clearly bollocks because as soon as he got that Diaz fight won and banked his millions from it, he was fighting Hendricks within a matter of months. He's too smart though to let those mega paydays slip away and he recognises when they need making. Woodley, or Covington, will be there in a year or whatever. McGregor? Fuck knows. So I think GSP will see that as the priority. 

Hmmm it seems like Helwani is ruling out Jones - https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1042576617464377344

I can't look past Rogan's giddiness at UFC 228, when he said that he knew something the audience didn't about the UFC 230 card. Only the return of Jones warranted that sort of reaction. It could not have been Woodley vs Colby that he was referencing, because Woodley was fighting Till the same evening and it was no guarantee that Woodley was going to be victorious. 

It's possible that EBB is correct and a main event has fallen through since Rogan made those comments. 

• Paid Members

Maybe but what could've fallen through that would've had Rogan all hard nippled? Brock's not cleared yet, or is he? GSP's non-committal about when he's next fighting. McGregor's obviously booked for October. Rousey's done. I don't care what Helwani says, the plan had to be Jones. Maybe plans have changed but I'm almost certain it was something Jones related that had Rogan horny at 228. There is fuck all else I can think of. Closest I can get is something like Cain vs Stipe but is Cain even anywhere near returning? We don't even get updates anymore. 

• Paid Members

Jones is going to fucking steal the Brock fight from DC isn't he? Jones Vs Brock in January, leaving DC to fight Gusty at 230? Or else it is Jones Vs Gustafsson and DC gets stripped of the belt and Jones ends up with it. Either way, I think DC ends up shafted by Jones again, even if they don't fight another time. 

Archived