The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

In was thinking about that myself earlier. Nothing obvious is jumping out. Is Jones even a realistic possibility? If so you've got to think he's the best option, maybe against Gustafsson. But the clock is ticking, they're going to have to announce it fairly soon for when tickets go on sale and they want to do press conferences and to allow for training camps etc. 

If not Jones, and that just seems like fantasy booking right now, then I'm scratching my head at what could headline MSG. It's a great card already but none of the fights currently announced scream 'MSG headliner'. 

• Paid Members

Sorry for the double post, but I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere else. On Wrestling Observer Radio from today, they were saying it was confirmed that Wonderboy Vs Robbie Lawler is happening in January as the main event of the first ESPN show. I love that fight, with two very contrasting styles it'll be interesting to see who turns it into their kind of fight. 

• Paid Members

I love the Diaz vs Poirier fight but if that ended up as the 230 main event it'd be a big comedown from the last 2 MSG shows.

2016 had Alvarez vs McGregor with the 2 belts thing plus Woodley vs Wonderboy, Jedrzejczyk vs Kowalkiewicz and Romero vs Weidman. A card so stacked that fights like Edgar vs Stephens and Khabib vs Johnson didn't even make the main card. Then in 2017 you had Bisping vs a returning GSP and an undercard of Cody vs TJ, Joanna vs Rose etc. 

As much as this year's show looks tremendous on paper, they haven't even got one title fight on there yet much less 3 like both the previous MSG cards. But what title can they add now? Heavyweight is looking like early 2019 with DC vs Brock. 205 is sidelined while DC fights Brock. 185 is Whittaker vs Gastelum and they're tied up with filming TUF before they can fight. 170 is Woodley vs Till at 228, 155 of course is Khabib vs McGregor at 229. Holloway vs Ortega and Cyborg vs Nunes are in December so that's 145 and women's 145 and 135 all tied up. 

It only leaves the bantamweight and flyweight straps. Maybe TJ vs Cruz or something, but is Cruz even healthy? It's a tough one. I still think Jones vs Gus 2 is the best option. And with DC busy at heavyweight and approaching retirement, they might as well whack an interim title on there. For once that would actually make sense. Plus Jones is from New York. It's ideal. But is he going to be cleared to fight in time and would Gus stay in one piece long enough to make it to the cage? 

Or...Dead Mike's idea of GSP vs Anderson. Not even going to lie I'd still love to see that fight. 

• Paid Members

I dont think a standard title fight will cut it here, the prestige around MSG makes me feel it has to be something a little special. The fact that they've announced a few other fights to headline PPV's either side of 230 since the shows announcement leads me to believe theres something big coming.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

I dont think a standard title fight will cut it here, the prestige around MSG makes me feel it has to be something a little special. The fact that they've announced a few other fights to headline PPV's either side of 230 since the shows announcement leads me to believe theres something big coming.

Promises change and that, but Dana was fairly adamant that MSG shows should always be special super shows.

Any word of when Velasquez is back? Maybe they do something like Velasquez v Jones/Stipe?

Archived