The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I can't decide if it's because I've had a foot out of the door for the most of the year, but I don't buy the idea that Khabib vs. McGregor is the biggest fight in UFC history, as many of the media are describing it. It's the biggest thing they've got going, sure, but it doesn't feel that big. I think it's a combination of how much the UFC have cooled off and what an incredible job Conor has done to turn everyone against him and expose himself as the world's biggest knobhead. It should be massive but I'm not feeling it anywhere near the way I remember buzzing when Aldo vs. McGregor and Alvarez vs. McGregor were announced.

• Paid Members

It has to be based purely off Conor's popularity, the guy is next level famous now. The Khabib-feud factor just sells it even furter. Conor vs. Anyone is doing huge numbers at this point.

‘I’m not fighting on that show...Fuck the UFC’

Lads. Talk about not knowing your place. Just shut up and take PPV points.

Everyone talks like beneath his punchy facade Nate Diaz is clever, but he seems like a fucking moron.

• Paid Members

I can't wait for it. Even excluding all the bad blood and controversy, it's a compelling contest - in a way a higher version of Brock v Hunt.

On them breaking the PPV, who knows (I think it will be close), but I'm not sure it will do the sort of numbers Helwani and like are talking about (2M+). You wonder if the UFC cooling down will negate the McGregor drawing power, or fans will buy it because the hype and this being McGregor's first UFC fight in two years. It's doing big business regardless.

It's the fight MMA needs most. Hopefully it can reignite the public's love for the sports.

• Paid Members

Am i missing something about Nate's reaction?

It was pretty much common knowledge that Conor would be fighting on 229 not 230, so why have Nate and Poirier both had a hissy fit about the announcement?

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

It was pretty much common knowledge that Conor would be fighting on 229 not 230, so why have Nate and Poirier both had a hissy fit about the announcement?

The talk is Nate isn't happy that the news out of the press conference is Conor v Khabib, rather than Nate Diaz is back. People are also guessing Poirier is taking the piss, but who knows.

He was maybe promised something or lied too, maybe in regard to Khabib v Conor, or how they'll handle the press conference.

Either way he's mad and it's wonderful.

• Paid Members

The guy is crackers. Walking in late had to be a calculated move too.

I did assume Poirier was taking the piss, hes retweeted a pic from Brett Ekomoto where he's having a laugh about it.

5 hours ago, Supremo said:

I can't decide if it's because I've had a foot out of the door for the most of the year, but I don't buy the idea that Khabib vs. McGregor is the biggest fight in UFC history, as many of the media are describing it. It's the biggest thing they've got going, sure, but it doesn't feel that big. I think it's a combination of how much the UFC have cooled off and what an incredible job Conor has done to turn everyone against him and expose himself as the world's biggest knobhead. It should be massive but I'm not feeling it anywhere near the way I remember buzzing when Aldo vs. McGregor and Alvarez vs. McGregor were announced.

No, it is the biggest fight in UFC history, simply because it has every possible factor anyone could possibly look for in a "greatest fight of all time;

• The biggest star in the history of the sport
  • A title on the line that said biggest star never lost in the cage
  • A Champion who is undefeated in 26 fights. 26 fucking fights. That's virtually unheard of in MMA. 26-0. Insane
  • A Champion who isn't only undefeated, but has arguably never lost a fucking round. He's never really been in trouble in a fight. Ever.
  • A Champion who is a proper, training in the mountains, wrestled with a bear Russian. Dude is fucking scary.
  • A challenger who has mental strength the likes of which we've never seen before.
  • A challenger who's the greatest talker in the history of the sport, going up against a guy who just has to stare at you to kill you.
  • A legit, rare as fuck Champion vs number 1 contender bout. A legit sporting contest.
  • Champion is 29, challenger is 30. Two guys in their prime.
  • All that shit with buses and steel trolleys.

Take all of that into account, and this is the biggest fight in UFC history. Sure, it may not hit the PPV numbers that reflect that, but that's more to do with apathy towards the sport in general I think than this fight not being able to draw as well as past fights. UFC is slowly dying on its arse, and this fight will, in business terms, only provide a short reprieve, but yeah, this is the greatest fight in UFC history, without a doubt.

• Paid Members

The results have came out for California's same day weight checks from UFC 227. Accross the board, the results aren't particularly surprising, in the manner that these eijits are cutting way too much blooming weight, which is not going to shock anyone. What did surprise me though, is that Garbrandt weighed the same in the cage as Mighty Mouse did during his fight, and DJ was actually heavier than Cejudo, which amazed me.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/6/17655020/ufc-227-fight-night-weights-all-but-six-fighters-come-in-over-csac-regulations

Archived