The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

I haven't watched the MMA Hour properly for a long time. However, for a period, I was a regular viewer. The show, twinned with Helwani's interviews with Dana and other top-flight MMA fighters, made MMAFighting.com an attractive venue for MMA fans. It probably still is, but I am a much lazier fan these days. I often just keep up to date by visiting this place and keeping tabs on a few MMA journalist's Twitter accounts. 

In other news, Josh Barnett has been released from the UFC. They have parted company on good terms. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't see i am very fond of the guy, he is a bit irritating, but I think New York Ric got shafted there.  I remember he hosted the MMA Hour very well when Ariel had a week off, and he seemed to be Ariel's choice to fill his shoes when he left. 

Aye, that's one hell of a trailer. I forgot that Conor and Khabib had words face to face months before the dolly incident occurred. I remember in the build-up to De Le Hoya vs Mayweather in 2007 that some observers deemed the fight to be the "saviour of boxing". No one has been that hyperbolic about McGregor vs Khabib just yet, and rightfully so, but there is a real sense that this fight needs to happen for MMA.

The UFC have produced some blockbusters this year. Miocic vs Ngannou, Whittaker vs Romero, and in a few weeks we will get to see Miocic vs D.C. Personally, I have grealy enjoyed my MMA viewing habits this year. But in some quarters, there is a sense that MMA is either going through, or is about to enter, a dark period. In general, the MMA community seems a bit jaded with the sport.

McGregor vs Khabib would, at least temporarily, change that mind-set. The fight would be a flawed spectacle. From a moral perspective, McGregor doesn't deserve the spotlight or the riches that this match-up would offer him. His behaviour in the past year has been inexcusable. Khabib is also far from a saint. However, morals aside, as is often the case in the fight game, McGregor vs Khabib ticks all the boxes as a spectacle. It has the right characters, high stakes, competitive intrigue, and a very colourful backstory. The UFC would need none of its promotional savvy to sell the fight to the wider audience. 

As for the fight itself, I favour Khabib. I have always believed that he is all wrong for Conor. Based on nothing but a hunch, and a dose of retrospect, I think Conor's MMA career peaked when he blitzed Alvarez at MSG. I think he will fight twice more in very lucrative fights, before he signs off to live the high-life. 

• Paid Members

Watching that promo, it struck me again that McGregor's 'heel turn' is complete. The 3 months that have passed since the Brooklyn tantrum have done nothing to lessen my desire to see Khabib smash him. There was a time when I never thought I'd be rooting against him but he's become a massive bellend, particularly in the run up to and post-Mayweather.

He's been quiet lately so I'm hoping something has kicked him up the arse or someone close to him has been able to open his eyes to the fact that he's wasting his prime and make him realise what he stands to lose if he carries on. In the big picture, he can turn this around. If he comes back and keeps his nose clean (figuratively and literally) then win or lose to Khabib he can add to his legacy and this period will be looked back at as a blip. In the grand scheme of things he's went off the rails for a few months after the biggest payday off his life. It happens. Thankfully nobody got badly hurt and it's nothing that he can't come back from if he sorts himself out now. 

We'll see what happens, I guess. Regardless, I do feel like he's not got many fights left. It just seems like he's not in love with fighting anymore. A few years ago he genuinely seemed obsessed with it. There was an interview, I think it was around the time he fought Poirier in 2014, where he was just reeling off stats about all the top fighters in his weight range. Height, reach, styles, the lot. He was possessed by the sport. Now we're at a point where he's sat out for nearly a year and hasn't fought in MMA in 18 months or so. He could've come back at almost any time (before the fight with the Brooklyn bus) and fought anyone and picked up an easy $5 mil. More vs a Diaz or Khabib, and more still for a superfight with GSP. There are big fights there to be made for him. It's like he just can't be arsed anymore. And all this time out is just eating into his prime. He probably doesn't care now because he's got all that money. But if his legacy means anything to him, he needs to come back. He's achieved a lot but in the end he'll be looked at as a guy who won 2 belts and never defended them, then went nuts and squandered his prime. It's a shame as well because his 2 title wins were among the best ever. His 13 second KO of Aldo and him breezing through Alvarez were ridiculous performances at the time. He could've built them but he's done nothing in either division since winning either title. 

I really hope they get this Khabib fight on for October like rumoured. I've really enjoyed the UFC this year. It hasn't been Buyrate City but that's not why I watch anyway. There's been plenty of great fights and moments and prospects coming through this year already. It's not like the joyless 2014 at all. But Khabib vs McGregor would be the massive fight this year has lacked so far. If they can get Jones vs Lesnar on as well then we're really cooking. 

• Paid Members

yep, thats whats happening. 

Looks like Lukes fronted MMA Hour and Helwanis new show both air mondays which is a bit weird, Helwani said the format will basically be the same as the MMA Hour.

Welcome back Dave.

• Paid Members
On 6/23/2018 at 4:18 PM, Egg Shen said:

yep, thats whats happening. 

Looks like Lukes fronted MMA Hour and Helwanis new show both air mondays which is a bit weird, Helwani said the format will basically be the same as the MMA Hour.

Welcome back Dave.

There's no way for us to watch the full Ariel show, is there? I saw something online about it being clips only. 

7 hours ago, Chunk said:

There's no way for us to watch the full Ariel show, is there? I saw something online about it being clips only. 

Its being broadcast on Twitter, is a podcast, i assume it'll be live on youtube too.  

I think his TV show with Chael Sonnen is just on ESPN though. 

• Paid Members

Yeh there is two shows. The Ariel/Chael show is an ESPN+ thing. The Ariel show is going to be in YouTube for free exactly as the MMA Hour was.

Ariel did tweet hinting that in time the Chael show will be available internationally.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Yeh there is two shows. The Ariel/Chael show is an ESPN+ thing. The Ariel show is going to be in YouTube for free exactly as the MMA Hour was.

Ariel did tweet hinting that in time the Chael show will be available internationally.

Cheers both. That's good news. Didn't realise there were two shows. 

Archived