The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Werdum Vs Olyenik was scheduled to be the main event I'd read somewhere or the other, and with Werdum now having the USADA issues, that UFC are supposedly looking towards Mark Hunt to replace him. I haven't seen anything confirmed on that front though. 

It's a Fight Pass show as well so they aren't going to be putting anything massive on it, but I certainly would have expected a Russian fighter of the star level of either a Volkov or a Zabit, to be in the main event. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Get ready for another wild one. MMAFighting and a bunch of other reliable sites are reporting that Al Iaquinta vs Justin Gaethje will be headlining a Fight Night on August 25th.

At this point fuck wins and losses, can Gaethje go 4 for 4 for FOTY candidates in the UFC? 

• Paid Members

Has it? Well it totally passed me by then. 

As for Khabib vs Conor, I'll believe it when I see it. UFC 229 is October. 4 months away. That's a hell of a long time for Khabib to stay injury free and for McGregor to not do anything stupid. 

Conor got his case put back to the end of July, basically his lawyer is sorting out a plea deal and they are just sorting out details, I'm guessing a fine and some community service, probably just talking to youths around Brooklyn. 

Anybody on that bus who was injured have the right to sue him but that will be civil case.

• Paid Members

Regarding the McGregor thing: this isn't to abdicate him of what he's done - he's a fucking coked-up idiot who's gone off the rails, and that doesn't change - but I've heard from a few people that Dana White has his share of blame in this, as apparently Lobov was receiving threats of violence in his hotel room from Nurmagomedov's lot, proper gangster stuff, and White just laughed it off when asked as just being macho stuff that Russian fighters do. I daresay McGregor would've found another way to fuck things up, but if this is true, then White should get some criticism for failing to prevent a needless situation.

Dana was asked about the Khabib-Lobov video that was going about, he thought the UFC security had sorted it out, nobody knows what Khabib or anyone on his team said to Lobov as no one transcribed it to English,

Khabib wasn't going to fight someone I don't believe, he was asking why he said things about him in the media, he would have been more concerned about making weight, saying Khabib team was threatening him and Dana laughed it off is just as much guessing as saying McGregor was coked up. All the media seen was a short video of Khabib & Lobov talking and UFC officials making sure nothing happened, Tyrone Woodley & Conor had a row at UFC 205 and nothing happened.

Given Khabib's most recent comments it would seem that he is in talks to fight at UFC 229 in Vegas, but his opponent is yet to be determined. 

I do not yet know who my opponent will be. The fight will likely take place in Las Vegas. I want to fight McGregor; the fans are also waiting for this fight. I hope that Conor wants this fight. He talked a lot but for some reason, as soon as it came down to real negotiations about the fight, he fell silent.”

I am going to guess that McGregor won't fight until December/January at the earliest. It could well be that McGregor vs Khabib is pencilled in for the New Years Eve show. Whether it actually happens or not is anyone's guess at this stage. 

Archived