The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been announced that Matt Serra will be the next inductee into the UFC Hall Of Fame. There's a debate on Twitter about whether he deserves it or not. Personally, I could go either way on that debate. I would not have protested if the UFC decided against him going in, but neither do I take exception to his induction. 

He's certainly one of the best characters in MMA history. He also pulled off the biggest upset in UFC history. In fact, I think it's safe to say that he would not have been inducted without that legendary win over GSP. He would be seen as a fighter who held his own against the best lightweights of the early 00's, but lost as many as he won, and as a fighter that had some decent success at Welterweight, but never looked like a serious threat to the division's elite. Don't get me wrong, he does have some decent wins outside of the GSP triumph. He edged out a young Yves Edwards, who would go on to be a top three lightweight just a few years later. When Edwards stopped Thomson in August of 2004, some fans felt he was the best lightweight in the world. His wins over Curran and Menjivar were very respectable as well. 

He didn't have that many easy fights either. In fact, he only ever lost against greats and fringe contenders. There's no shame in losing to a prime version of GSP, a young and hungry version of BJ Penn, or being edged out by the highly rated Din Thomas. But he did have nights that he would rather forget. Karo rarely looked better than he did against Serra. Other than early in the fight when Serra dropped Karo, it was pretty much one-way traffic in Karo's favour from what I recall. Karo earned a title shot off that victory, which he never cashed in due to injuries. Serra's reputation took a bit of a knock after that fight. Serra also had little for Lytle in their rematch. Once again, it was one-way traffic in Serra's opponent's favour. 

So yeah, HOF personality, HOF victory, and HOF story. But perhaps not a HOF resume. Whether he deserved his induction or not depends on your criteria. 

• Paid Members

If Stephan Bonnar goes in for what he achieved through TUF with Forrest Griffin i can't see why Serra doesn't go in. It's not like there's some kind of criteria for inclusion and its all about resume, if you want to take Serra's career as a whole, from the fighting, the title win, the TV stuff, the podcast, training a World Champion and a great camp, the guy is pretty much UFC royalty. Chuck him in, why not?

Just checked Wiki they've only been doing this for the past 4 years, people have been added but at just random UFC events instead of the July fight week. they normally put 2 in the pioneer wing, Dana & the old UFC didn't like Frank and I doubt the current owners care enough about it. Could he be in the fight wing as well for his fight with Tito? I can't say it was too exciting until the end but obviously an incredible ending.

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, David said:

The fact that Tank Abbott isn't in the pioneer wing is ridiculous. He was one of the most recognisable fighters of the early years.

Tank has to go in, he played as pivotal a role as anyone in the early years of the UFC. 

I remember having UFC 45 which was the 10th anniversary of the UFC, Royce & Ken Shamrock got inducted but they brought out a bunch of old school fighters like Tank, Oleg Taktarov, Coleman, Severn, Frye & Marco Ruas   I think, there was 10 I think and was fan voted apparently (though Frank Shamrock wasn't there)

• Paid Members

Wasn't he the guy that took a very uncomfortable-to-watch beating? I'm surprised at that decision.

Is it possible that the UFC might eventually work towards having a Para division?

• Paid Members

Yeh, Justin Gaethje battered him. Not sure how i feel about Newell getting a shot, on one hand it's great to see him get a chance, but that Gaethje fight was just horrible to watch.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Yeh, Justin Gaethje battered him. Not sure how i feel about Newell getting a shot, on one hand it's great to see him get a chance, but that Gaethje fight was just horrible to watch.

Ouch.

Archived