The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Exactly that Jim. And unlike Covington, I don't even find Askren particularly boring. I used to think he was but felt like he turned a corner on that as his career went on and by his later fights I didn't really find him dull. Or maybe he didn't change at all and his style is just an acquired taste that I...well, acquired at some point. 

He's definitely got a personality. To me he's kind of a blend between Chael Sonnen and Matt Hughes. He'll talk shit kind of like Chael but he's not as outrageous with the stuff he comes out with. And there's definitely a bit of a dickhead 'I'm superior to you' vibe like Hughes had at his pomp. But he's not as twatty as Hughes. He also has a unique look with his average looking body and pancake-flat face topped off by Noddy Holder's hair. He's not intimidating looking at all. Until he starts ragging fuckers all around the cage. As a complete package I think he'd be a great addition to the UFC. Can't they swap him for Cunty Covington? 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

To me he's kind of a blend between Chael Sonnen and Matt Hughes. He'll talk shit kind of like Chael but he's not as outrageous with the stuff he comes out with. And there's definitely a bit of a dickhead 'I'm superior to you' vibe like Hughes had at his pomp. But he's not as twatty as Hughes.

I think you've nailed it there Wand. 

His manager can tell him what he likes but if he told them there was a deal there then they would all be in line for a lawsuit for illegally tapping an under contract fighter, the UFC & Bellator wouldn't do that, 99% of managers either, it's why you say we'll wait til his contract is up and we can talk (or if the contract states he can negotiate elsewhere after a certain date)

I've noticed a lot of "shame signing" articles, a few about Askren and how he could draw, despite never doing so in the past but I assume they are talking a GSP fight and we've been over this a million times.

The one that annoyed me was saying UFC should sign Nick Newell, I have zero problem them signing him, he's a really good fighter who happens to have a very noticeable disability, he's missing a hand, he still has an arm and elbow it's just a stump were his hand is supposed to be, my former Karate teacher had the exact same thing. He is a good fighter, tremendous wrestling etc and has a good record, with I think his only loss coming from Justin Gaethe, I do think the mainstream media could either be really supportive or really brutal if he was to take a hiding from a top guy and some fighters might turn it down feeling losing to a one handed fighter might be embarrassing and feeling they have nothing to gain by fighting him. The fact is he's always going to have an asterisks next to his name and I wouldn't mind seeing him fight at the top level but I can see companies might be hesitant for fear of bad publicity, including TV Partners.

His manager can tell him what he likes but if he told them there was a deal there then they would all be in line for a lawsuit for illegally tapping an under contract fighter, the UFC & Bellator wouldn't do that, 99% of managers either, it's why you say we'll wait til his contract is up and we can talk (or if the contract states he can negotiate elsewhere after a certain date)

Yeah, of course they wouldn't. The fight game is littered with respectable, law-abiding types who would never tap someone up or look to bend rules, eh? 

I see Askren more like Sonnen than Covington.

Yeah, I meant more from a skill standpoint. We can all rag on Covington as much as we like, but he's a skilled competitor.

To be fair, Sonnen had a short run as a good heel. He quickly slid into complete parody mode before too long.

I mean it’s exciting, but it feels way too soon. High risk, high reward I guess. If he wins this then he’s staring down the barrel of a title shot, not longer after a draw against a journeyman. Crazy.

With this announced, and the size of the fight, I doubt there’s space for a Bisping retirement fight like he wants.

Seems incredibly risky to be doing this with the guy they probably figure is the fighter to take over from Bisping in the UK favourites department. 

His big coming out party in his home town could easily result in him being beaten quite comprehensively by a unfailingly polite nondescript looking bugger from the American south.

I'd have thought they put him in with someone who's recognisable but also more beatable, try to build him up a bit.

• Paid Members

Yeah. If possible, I would have given him Masvidal, but I guess here we are. It's a good fight for a UK show, so it's hard to bitch about that aspect of it.

Also, as an aside, I just noticed a Ralph Lauren advert popped up before a YouTube video, featuring Handsome Luke. Greatest and most handsome fella ever.

• Paid Members

Yeah same. We can say it's too soon but say what you want about Cerrone but he beats pretty much everyone below the title mix. And if you're coming off bashing up Cerrone inside a round, you can't really go backwards. Till's résumé pre-Cowboy mightn't have been the most impressive but he smashed Cerrone so convincingly that they almost had to put him in this kind of fight next. If he'd scraped by in a close decision then maybe it'd be a different story but he crushed him. There's only one way you can go after that and that's a step up. 

I'm happy with them pulling the trigger now and seeing what he's got. 

He's also not some striking novice, the guy had a long career as a young Thai fighter, fighting grown men as a 15 year old, he stands more chance against Wonderboy than Woodley.  I would have built him up slower but he has wanted to fight him for months, he obviously thinks he can do it, we have seen top karate guys negated by Thai fighters like Machida Vs Shogun. Wonderboy should obviously be favourite but you never know in MMA.

• Paid Members

Also, people can knock his MMA record pre-Cerrone but still he's unbeaten. Yeah, he had the draw against Dalby but that was about 3 years ago now and he was just finding his feet in the UFC. The fact is when he got his step up against Cerrone he rose to the challenge. We'll see. Wonderboy isn't easy to look good against and he's a tremendous fighter himself but I wouldn't write Till off at all. It's a fight he could definitely lose but it's the guys who can grapple at a really high level like Woodley, Covington, Usman etc who I can see giving Till the most grief. 

• Paid Members

Current Cerrone to current Wonderboy is still a big leap, though. I think you're understating Wonderboy if you say otherwise. I mean, Wonderboy was a baw hair from the title, where as Cerrone got kicked to the gunt when he tried.

Again, it's a compelling fight, so hard to bitch about it taking place on a UK card, but it's still a big jump for Till. I hope he does well.

Archived