The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

And I'd definitely whack Hunt vs Bigfoot 1 and Jones vs Gustafsson up there as well.

No doubt Griffin vs Bonnar 1 and Hughes vs Trigg 2 will place just outside the Top 5. 

Aye.

I guess it depends on what you count as a great fight. It seems that they have gone for historical relevance over what actually happened inside the cage to some extent. 

Personally, I would have Hunt vs Bigfoot in my top 5. Hughes vs Trigg 2 is as good a 1 round fight as you are going to get. I would also place Jones vs Gusty over the first McGregor vs Diaz fight. I've always felt that Griffin vs Bonnar is overrated as an actual fight. It was a significant fight in terms of the sport's growth, but I never rated it as a classic. It was a decent slugfest. 

It's nice to see Lawler vs Rory 2 get some love. Hendo vs Shogun is also worthy of a spot in the top 5. I get why Edgar vs Grey 2 is on the list. But couldn't an argument be made that the third fight between the two was just as good? You could also make a case for Tyson Griffin's fights with Guida and Edgar. There are tons of other fights that could be mentioned as well. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah they have a lot of history this past couple of years of hotshotting interim titles out there. I think this would be slightly different though in that they would be doing it in order to put it on a show that already has a title fight headlining, and in a division where the Champion was (last I heard, but it has likely changed) aiming for a return in July. 

I like the idea of RDA Vs Covington in Brasil. I think it's a great match up for creating a clear contender for Woodley when he returns, like you mentioned Carbomb. I just don't get the need for an Interim Title in it. If they had booked this for a few months prior to when it's going to happen, say possibly the show that Cyborg ended up saving, I wouldn't have been surprised. I kind of am surprised with the timing of it now though, should it happen. 

• Paid Members

@jimufctna24

Yeah, I've always preferred Edgar vs Maynard 3 to their second fight. It still had the crazy first round like the second fight with Edgar again having to make a Herculean comeback. But it also had a winner and a definitive finish. The fact that Edgar won makes it even better. 

My Top 5 would be something like;

5) Wandy vs Stann 

4) Jones vs Gustafsson 

3) Hunt vs Bigfoot 1

2) Lawler vs MacDonald 2

1) Henderson vs Shogun 1

With Edgar vs Maynard 2 and 3 making the Top 10. I'd have McGregor vs Diaz 2 in the Top 10 as well. Just don't think it's anywhere near 'best fight ever'. 

Edit - Crazy that 3 of my Top 5 UFC fights ever are from 2013. That really was a killer year for great fights. 

I do think the older eras get overlooked though. Fights like Couture vs Rizzo 1, Frank vs Tito, Lindland vs Baroni etc, while not as good as the above and mightn't hold up as well now, are tremendous fights in their own right and deserve mentions. 

I don't really care about interim belts, Lightweight needed it as Connar was gone for a year and now it will be the official belt (if they make weight) 

Colby Vs RDA for 5 rounds is better than 3 rounds, I would assume this will beef up the Brazilian card but Amanda Nunes should still headline this card, maybe should have it as "Title Eliminator" and make it 5 rounds as well and the same for others like it at the top of divisions between the top contenders if the Champion is injured but for less than say a year.

• Paid Members

I'm pretty much with most people on here - the obsession with making interim title matches and interim champions can fuck the fuck off. They're not fooling anyone. RDA vs. Covington has more than enough appeal to it by itself, because 1. hopefully RDA fucks up Covington and ruins his run at the belt, and 2. we will get to see RDA emerge as a clear contender to Woodley, which I reckon would be a pretty good fight, if Woodley brings his war-face.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, the_mole said:

I don't really care about interim belts, Lightweight needed it as Connar was gone for a year and now it will be the official belt (if they make weight) 

Colby Vs RDA for 5 rounds is better than 3 rounds, I would assume this will beef up the Brazilian card but Amanda Nunes should still headline this card, maybe should have it as "Title Eliminator" and make it 5 rounds as well and the same for others like it at the top of divisions between the top contenders if the Champion is injured but for less than say a year.

all main events are 5 rounds though Mole, belt or no belt.

I was talking about big fights as co-main title contender fights on PPVs, I would rather watch 2 top 5 guys go 5 rounds than some actual real title fights but understand keeping titles important and making them headline PPVs but people would moan if they stuck that fight as headliner above Amanda Nunes & Raquel Pennington

Obviously still put 5 rounds on free fight main events I don't mind that but they have to make PPVs worth the money. RDA & Colby are top 3, Wonderboys had two title fights, so basically these are the two top contenders.

• Paid Members

Eddie Hearn talks about that AJ/Dana thing Ebb mentioned here; 

Can't see much coming of it but Dana's coming to Cardiff for Joshua vs Parker so they'll no doubt meet up then. 

Also...Hearn saying "me and Dana look very similar. If I shaved my head..." or something. It never occurred to me before but they fucking do! 

image.jpg

• Paid Members
On 20/03/2018 at 6:37 PM, TildeGuy~! said:

Frankie Edgar Vs Cub Swanson close to being announced for the 21st April show according to Ariel

I hope this doesn't end badly for Frankie. You have to love him for never shrugging or ducking anything, and the hunger he has, as he apparently asked to get put on this card. A fresher Edgar, in around July/August, I would have no problem picking to win this fight. I just hope after getting floored by Ortega, that he has managed to mostly recover by the time this show rolls around. He seemed determined to fight in Atlantic City though, no matter what. 

Does anyone else think that Wonderboy handles till quite easily? And by quite easily I mean more easily than many on the Till hype train seen to think possible?

We're talking about a guy here who's fought five times in the UFC, and was taken to a draw by Nicolas Dalby and who was taken the full three rounds by Jessin Ayari and Bojan Veličković before he beat Cowboy.

Yeah, he beat Cowboy impressively, but we're talking about a guy who has been fighting at lightweight previously. Wonderboy is big for the weight, and he's fucking legit. 

I see a late stoppage or decision win if this fight goes ahead. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, David said:

Does anyone else think that Wonderboy handles till quite easily? And by quite easily I mean more easily than many on the Till hype train seen to think possible?

I don't know about 'easily' but I think that the people clamouring for this fight might end up disappointed. I can see it being a stand-off with both fighters wanting to counter-strike. Hope not obvs but it's a huge win for Till & it'd be a big loss for Wonderboy. These circumstances often lead to both fighters being hesitant & not wanting to make a silly mistake, which can end up in a bit of a stalemate.

Archived