The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

On 19/03/2018 at 6:00 PM, Egg Shen said:

Fish Eyes

"Do me a favour"

"StubHub"

"The Hearns"

Elsewhere, Ngannou is petitioning for a fight with Lesnar.

“Please Brock, come back, come back my friend. We need you here,” Ngannou said. “We need you to put the fun in this division. I need you to give me that f*cking fight I’ve been waiting for for a long time, I’ve been dreaming for.”

Among the names calling for a fight with Ngannou are fellow slugger Derrick Lewis and fan favorite Mark Hunt, and Ngannou is determined to take whatever path gets him to a second shot at a title. 

Whatever is said about Ngannou's ability, I would welcome any of the three fights he's linked with. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Lesnar could avoid being punched to the moon in the first 3 minutes, that's a hell of a good fight for him. That immediately reannounces himself as legit.

Awful fight for the UFC, though. You don't need one of your bright new heavyweights being squash-fucked by a 41 year old who is seen by most people as 'that pro wrestling druggie'.

Lesnar/Jones or no bueno.

• Paid Members

Lesnar vs. Ngannou has the same appeal of Lesnar vs. CroCop. Super-capable wrestler who hates being struck vs. super-capable striker who is vulnerable to being wrestled (or, in CroCop's case, old enough to be more vulnerable to wrestling than before).

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

"Do me a favour"

"StubHub"

"The Hearns"

:laugh: he loves the StubHub subject doesn't he? Every single interview. 

He also seems to be very fond of the phrase "Uncle Tom Cobley an' all". 

• Paid Members

spot on that is 😆 Frank's catchphrases.

Hearn did a 15 minute bit explaining the Stubhub relationship on a recent IFL interview. I bet Frank still has a pop next time around though...

Weirdly, Frank and Eddie have never met.

On 3/20/2018 at 7:37 PM, TildeGuy~! said:

Frankie Edgar Vs Cub Swanson close to being announced for the 21st April show according to Ariel

As well as liking Edgar as a fighter for years, I always assumed he was a sensible, savvy type. Wife, three young children and all that jazz.

Then he not only takes another fight seven short weeks after being hit by the uppercut of death and KO'd for the first time, but when asked if he's maybe taking this next fight a tad too soon replies with “The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge, while the ordinary man takes everything as a blessing or as a curse.”

Sorry Franklin, but warrior or "ordinary man", it makes no difference. Your brain doesn't differentiate.

• Paid Members

rumors afloat that the UFC are gonna offer Anthony Joshua a massive 300 million pound contract to box for the new new UFC boxing promotion. Could be steam to this story as AJs long been rumored to be leaving Matchroom in 3 fights time.

• Paid Members

It's all opinions but that Top 5 fights thing, as much as I loved the McGregor vs Diaz fights, I wouldn't have them anywhere near that high. I get why they're doing it, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme and I'm not surprised (...motherfuckers) they've put them at #1 and #2. But they weren't that good. I'd have the other 3 fights there right at the top of my list though. And I'd definitely whack Hunt vs Bigfoot 1 and Jones vs Gustafsson up there as well. Me personally I'd throw Wandy vs Stann in there too although that could be my Wanderlei fandom bringing the bias, I fucking love that fight. I'd put Huerta vs Guida above the two McGregor-Diaz fights as well. And it's not even a hard choice to make. A fight drawing big on PPV doesn't mean it was the best fight ever. And that's probably the criteria they've gone with for the top two spots. 

Obviously they've left certain fights and fighters off for political reasons like Jones being a continual fuckup/cheat, Wandy for the USADA shit and all the badmouthing of the UFC that followed etc. But regardless they were still amazing fights. 

No doubt Griffin vs Bonnar 1 and Hughes vs Trigg 2 will place just outside the Top 5. 

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

How about this for stupidity 

Rafael Dos Anjos Vs Colby Colvington for the Interim Welterweight Title due to be announced later today for UFC 224

Jesus Christ, I don't believe it. Yet another Interim belt. Woodley must be well and truly buggered if they are having to resort to this. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Jesus Christ, I don't believe it. Yet another Interim belt. Woodley must be well and truly buggered if they are having to resort to this. 

Not necessarily. If the UFC's recent form is anything to go by, they might just be trying to engineer some artificial anticipation for an Interim vs. Real championship fight.

• Paid Members

I wish they'd fuck off with these interim belts. All it's doing is making the titles seem watered down and everybody knows the interim titles aren't real titles anyway. They're just glorified #1 contender belts. I want to see Dos Anjos fuck this pathetic try-hard dickhead up. Belt or not. Putting an interim title into the mix adds zero to my anticipation for it and people aren't going to be swayed into buying a PPV because of the addition of a made up title either. People watch fights to see fighters they want to see fight, fight. A title on the line adds to it. But if someone isn't fussed about a RDA-Covington fight on its own merits then your interim bollocks title isn't going to be the game changer. 

Archived