The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

I see Roger Huerta has come back from the wilderness to fight Benson Henderson on an upcoming Bellator card.

Robert Whittaker Vs Yoel Romero II has been booked for UFC 225, so it'll be almost a year after their first fight. It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, is different in this fight, following Whittaker's illnesses and injuries and Romero's obliteration of Luke Rockhold.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It's quite an interesting looking card on the whole:

Gadelha Vs Esparza

Overeem Vs Blaydes

Benavidez Vs Sergio Pettis

Punk Vs ????

Rashad Evans Vs Anthony Smith (at 205)

I've also seen Tai Tuivasa Vs Marcin Tybura and Tyson Pedro Vs Misha Cirkunov as being rumoured, but nothing that looks like confirmation.

• Paid Members

Am I alone in not really finding Punk the least bit likeable? I think that's a big part of my overall indifference. If it was a wrestler I liked I'm sure I'd be a bit more invested. It's admirable that he's got the bollocks to get in there but that only goes so far on its own. Are we going to be posting in 5 years time 'yeah he's 0-7 but he's having a go'. I don't hate it or anything. It doesn't bother me. I just don't see it as something to really care about anymore. It doesn't help that the fight itself has a fairly high likelihood of being shite either. 

• Paid Members

Nice. So that's why they held off on booking Till and why he wasn't on tomorrow's London card. I thought they'd go to Liverpool soon but didn't think it'd be this early in the year. All makes sense now. Nice that Liverpool finally get a UFC event as well. They've been waiting fucking ages. Best part of a decade really. 

Wonder if there's any chance Bisping's farewell ends up on there as well. Probably not but you never know. I saw something the other day that he's adamant that if he fights again it'll be in the UK. Still sounds like he's not 100% sure he's even fighting again though so May is unlikely. 

• Paid Members

I’m buzzing about the Liverpool announcement. The Echo is about twenty minutes from my house. So glad I didn’t bother going to tomorrow’s event. 

I assume they’ll be signing Paddy the Baddy for this?

I don't think he's in any hurry to sign with Bellator, so they might just leave him and that Molly girl in Cage Warriors as he's still young and will get smashed by any of the mid to top tier guys in the UFC, plus it helps Cage Warriors with talent that draws at a local level.

The UFC have a new show with the girl who presents Cage Warriors called UFC connected, it's just a magazine type show but it's aimed at the UK & European UFC guys, some background stuff most wouldn't know about. It also has zero GAD, I have a feeling him and the UFC aren't talking anymore, I don't think he's banned he's just not the face of UK MMA he thought he was.

• Paid Members

Yeah I haven't seen GAD chatting complete bollocks on anything MMA related for a long time. Schaub's filled that role now. 

Does Beyond The Octagon not be on anymore? I stopped watching it ages ago anyway but that was probably the last thing I saw him on as far as UFC coverage. The most I see now is him shuffling about in the background during some IFL boxing interviews and stuff. It's nice not seeing him all over the place these days. 

I've probably said this in the past, but it's worth repeating. 

GAD is more tolerable when he covers boxing. He adds little of note, but he clearly has a passion for it. It really came across that way when he popped up on the Joe Calzaghe DVD. He also produces live scorecards for the major fights for The Telegraph. I sometimes find it interesting to see how he's scoring the fights between rounds. His scorecards usually match my own. I never listen to his podcasts or anything though. His opinions are of little interest to me. The articles I have read of his in the past have just been dull. Some in boxing seem to like him though. Elliot Worsell - a writer who I actively seek out content from - has talked very highly of him. Johnny Nelson seems to like him as well (although Nelson isn't exactly beloved on boxing forums either)

GAD is utter shite when it comes to covering MMA though. It says it all when you have one of the UK's top fighters tweeting out that his "lack of knowledge never fails to surprise me". Now, a good journalist is bound to clash with fighters on occasions, that's just part of the job. However, in this instance, it was easy to see where Bisping was coming from. I could be wrong, but I always got the impression that GAD learnt about MMA on the job. When he first popped up on Setanta in 2008/2009 - I got the feeling that he didn't really know much about MMA. It's not like he was an MMA expert who had been waiting in the wings for TV stations to cover the sport, so he could come out of the shadows. It was more that he had followed the sport a little bit before 2008/2009 - then sold himself as an expert on it to Sentanta and others once jobs became available covering it. Essentially, I think he was an opportunist, who took advantage of others who similarly knew little about MMA. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

GAD gets brought up on the British and Irish Boxrec forums now and again usally to indifference or derision.  Bizarrely one poster will always claim GAD is a "swordsman" who is known for his large penis. I'm convinced this is GAD himself.

Gigantic Almighty Dick. 

Although I think that describes the man himself, not what nestles in the gusset of his pants.

Archived