The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

i wonder if Glory would be better suited staying in a specific place when running shows. The different country for each show always makes for an inconsistent sort of audience. Their American shows for example are always poor attended whilst Dutch shows are sell-outs.Ā 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah, maybe. As always, it comes down to stars. It's no surprise they do well in Holland, seeing as they have Rico as their HW champ (and the sport seems to have deep roots in the country). I can see why they feel the need to do USA shows, but I doubt it will ever catch on unless someone crosses over to a semi-mainstream level or some feud gets fans into it.

The product is an A+, but that doesn't seem enough.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

I know fighters should display confidence, but it's a little surprising that Punk has the gall to say he's going to win.

Was that a deliberate pun?

Speaking of translators, was that Jorge Gurgel (Rich Franklin's best mate TUF 2 alumni and apparently great on the ground but always tried to stand with his opponents despite being pretty shit at striking) doing the Portuguese translations, when did he start doing that job? He was at UFC 222 but it's normally a skinny Brazilian guy who I assume never fought (not that you need to have fought if your just translating)Ā 

• Paid Members

Gurgel has been doing that for a year or so, he pops up from time to time. I think he may do Spanish commentary for the UFC too.

Now theres a guy who had some cracking fights...much against everyones advice.

Ā 

ā€œWithout giving too much away, Mick MaynardĀ gives me the wink-wink and says, ā€˜Be patient. Weā€™ll see what happens,'ā€ Jackson told MMAjunkie Radio.

Almost from theĀ second Mickey Gall submitted PunkĀ in a disastrous 2016 octagon debut at UFC 203, Jackson has called for the promotion to put him in the cage with the former WWE champion, taking umbrage with an interview Punk gave in which he called Jackson a can.

To Jackson, the argument for making the fight is simple. He and Punk share the same record, or lack of one. They have a grudge of sorts. And the UFC can still make money off Punk.

When heĀ stumped for the fight earlier, Jackson wanted the UFC to promote it in his home state of Texas. But if he can get it on Punkā€™s home turf of Chicago, which hosts the June 9 pay-per-view event at United Center, he wonā€™t complain.

ā€œThereā€™s no need to negotiate, because I really just want to hit this dude so bad for calling me a can,ā€ Jackson said. ā€œI was so offended by that. So now I have to go put him in his own safe space.ā€

Ā 

Looks like it's going to be Punk vs Jackson.

Good.

Thatā€™s the fight isnā€™t it? Itā€™s as good as theyā€™re going to do in terms of a compelling narrative when everyone knows the whole things a bit of a joke.

Iā€™ve got to be honest, I was always a bit of a Punk fan. Not huge, but enjoyed his work. This is making me a way bigger fan of him. I find it super inspirational. Heā€™s shown nothing but discipline, tenacity, hard work and balls the size of footballs.

Do I think the UFC should have let him have a first fight, nevermind a second? No, of course I donā€™t. Itā€™s a slap in the face to the sport and the UFCā€™s place on top of the mountain. But I donā€™t judge Punk for that. Good for him. He used whatever leverage he had to help facilitate a dream, and has worked his Mitre bollocks off to give himself a chance at success.

Good for him.

The thing that has always got me about Punk is that at no time has he ever considered himself anywhere near the level of the guys who do this for a living. By all accounts he's super humble, respectful and is simply a dude living out his dream.

His bouts are simply "special attractions", nothing more. And there's nothing wrong with that, as he's not affecting any of the real factors in his division.Ā 

Archived