The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cain's real coming out party was the Rothwell fight. MMA fans had been told that he was a monster in the gym, and was getting the better of Paul Buentello as a novice in sparring. After he got dropped by Kongo three times, some fans became a bit more sceptical about him. He was pencilled in to fight Carwin at some point in 2009 - I forget the exact timeline - and most observers couldn't split them (I fancied Carwin to win at the time). Two years later, it seemed laughable to put Carwin on the same level as Cain. The massacre of Rothwell made people take note again. From there, Cain went from strength to strength in the next 3 years or so, barring that hiccup against JDS. 

I don't think striking was ever Cain's biggest strength. The best route to beating Cain in his pomp was to clip him standing, as JDS showed. However, he was a very tidy boxer; and good enough to live with any MMA Heavyweight past or present. You don't go 5 rounds twice with a prime version of JDS and come out the better man without being a very skilled striker. As a complete package, I would put Cain circa 2010-2013 over Miocic currently. However, that doesn't mean that Cain will ultimately rank above Miocic when all is said and done. 

• Paid Members

Mark Hunt vs Curtis Blaydes is booked for UFC 221, reported by The Daily Telegraph.

Kamaru Usman vs Emil Meek has been rescheduled from UFC 219 to UFC 220. Visa issues for Meek caused the delay apparently, as mmafighting.com are reporting. 

• Paid Members

There's a Fight Night in Brazil on Feb 3rd. Lyoto Machida vs Eryk Anders headlines. So we can rule Machida out as Bisping's farewell opponent for the London card in March then. 

With Whittaker vs Rockhold booked, Jacare vs Brunson booked, Machida vs Anders booked, Belfort vs Hall booked...it's looking more and more likely that we're getting that Bisping vs Romero fight after all. Who else is left for Bisping who would line up timing-wise for London? Only other names I can think of are Chris Weidman and David Branch as possibilities. 

Actually, maybe they go with Bisping vs Weidman and Romero vs Gastelum. That'd work. 

Valentina Shevchenko is dropping to flyweight on this Brazil card as well. Fighting some fucker called Priscila Cachoeira. 

Colby Covington has spoiled the new Star Wars film on his Twitter. Absolutely reeks of desperation. 

Shame, didn't think he'd have to resort to petty nonsense like this to make himself "the bad guy everyone wants to see get beat up!".

• Paid Members

I don't even want to see him get beat up. Because that involves having to watch him fight. I just want him to go away. Please. Someone make him go away. Forget 'X-Pac heat', he's got 'Angela 'Vinegar Tits' Magana heat' with me. And that's much worse. 

• Paid Members

Oh he would. All Colby's got is wrestling and Woodley on paper matches him there. Only Woodley is also a way better striker, way more powerful, way faster and way more explosive and athletic. I'd be all for Woodley knocking the twat out. 

Knowing how desperate for attention Colby is though, he'd probably start throwing racial slurs at Woodley under the guise of getting 'cheap heat' and it'd all get really ugly. 

He's a fucking knob. I'm all for fighters trying to make themselves stand out and make you care either in support or against them. But this div has tried way too hard and completely misjudged it. He's not coming off as a 'heel' or just a bad guy in a sporting sense. He comes off as an actual piece of shit. Nothing he's done has made me care even a tiny bit more about watching him fight. I don't want to see him fight. I just want him to insult Cuba next. And then hopefully run into Yoel Romero and Ray The Translator in a dark alley somewhere. Where no-one will hear his screams. 

• Paid Members

Stevie Ray (the fighter) was on the MMA Hour last night and said he's not heard word back on a new contract. The last he heard, months ago, the UFC were thinking of sticking him on the London card, but who knows. He's apparently sacked his manager, who gave him the advice to reject a contract offer and fight it out for a better deal. Shame if they cut him because he has got a bit of support in Scotland.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, OzExile said:

Saw a Tweet earlier saying they the UFC are working on Thug Rose vs Tecia Torres at UFC 221.  That's four title fights in consecutive PPVs if true! 

I wouldn't mind Namajunas vs Torres 3. First fight was brilliant. 

I wonder what that would mean for Joanna Jedrzejczyk though. If Rose vs Tecia 3 gets made that probably means Joanna is moving up to flyweight. 

Archived