The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah I saw that. A rumour I saw was that it might happen on a PPV in Boston early next year. Fuck knows? I want to see it but it is bollocks really. Especially if you're Tony Ferguson. What'sĀ the point of these interim titles if you can win the thing and still not get the title shot? Plus Diaz hasn't fought in over a year and hasn't won a fight in over 18 months. I'm all forĀ doing the 'money fights' but they just let McGregor do the biggest money fight in the history of the game. It's time he defended his title against the rightful #1 contender.Ā 

Here's theĀ poster in question, by the way...

image.jpg

Those McGregor Diaz 3 graphics are horrible, especially the. Roman numerals, looks like something from a home computer from 1982.

I don't know if they will fight but you would think they would have better graphics and not put it out in the week leading up to your biggest PPV since the summer.

UFC 220 is in Boston on January 20th apparently, I would assume they would want Conor on that but who knows.

• Paid Members

Yeah it looksĀ shit, doesn't it?Ā 

Maybe it's not the finished poster and some numbskull accidentally posted it. Or maybe they deliberately 'leaked' it to get people talking and see what the reaction would be to such a booking. WhoĀ knows?Ā 

McGregor headlining the BostonĀ PPVĀ makes sense. I just hope it's against Ferguson. That needs settling so we've got one champion in the division again. The trilogy fight with Nate will still be there after. It's something they can revisit.Ā 

• Paid Members

The Diaz fight, while wonderful fun, is quite clearly just a money grab by all involved. In truth, maybe the UFC do it because they needĀ the big cash fight, what with how bad they've done this year, coupled with the payments and upcoming telly deal.

If they do go through with it, I hope we at least get the much cancelled Khabib/Ferguson war - the biggest cocktease in MMA.

Ā 

Yeah, it's similar to what I've always said. The Nate fight is always going to be there regardless of how he fares in his next couple of fights. If he fights Tony and loses, hell if he loses his next three on the bounce, he can still always turn around and go and partake in the biggest fight in the sport, which would still be bonkers money. He'd be wise to keep Nate on the back burner. The only shit aspect is that Nate probably won't fight now until they do the trilogy. In his mindset, he won't settle for any payday lesser than what he'd make against Conor.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Ferguson vsĀ Khabib is one of the most fascinating fights they could possibly book right now for me. But Khabib's fighting Barboza next. Well, he's currentlyĀ scheduled to anyway. As of today, Tuesday 31st October 2017 at 17:25pm. Still plenty of time for him to get himself hurt. And even if he miraculously makes it to fight week, let's just hopeĀ his missus or teammates or coachingĀ staff don'tĀ have any tiramisu lying about the place.Ā 

• Paid Members

if they go McGregor/Diaz III. I dont see why they dont just strip Conor of the belt and then just have him challenge Ferguson when he returns to 155lb. It isnt like Conor having the belt enhances his bargaining power, he's the man holding the cards regardless.

2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

if they go McGregor/Diaz III. I dont see why they dont just strip Conor of the belt and then just have him challenge Ferguson when he returns to 155lb. It isnt like Conor having the belt enhances his bargaining power, he's the man holding the cards regardless.

I'm with you on that one to be honest. I'm not even against McGregor - Diaz III happening right now, but it shouldn't be with the belt on the line.Ā 

Following UFC 220 in Boston is 221 in Perth on Feb 11, then another PPV on March 3. So it doesn't look like the ppv schedule is slowing down in 2018. When does the TV deal expire?Ā 

Ā 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Exactly. All Conor has to say is "I never lost the belt, I'm the real champ" and the fact he was stripped of it will instantly be forgotten.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/41830628

Conor has gone into abit more detail on his future. Says his next fight will be for the 155 title. Seems he is not impressed with the money being offered about fighting Tony Ferguson atm but negotiations are on going.

Thinks if he has a rematch with Floyd he would beat him (wtf!). Can't imagine its that easy to negotiate with him after that Mayweather payday.

The card did over 200,000 (Not the 120,000 first mentioned) buys and while the gate wouldn't have been great, it was probably hurt by the events in Las Vegas the week before.

The fans were chanting Tony's name throughout his fight as well, Owen Roddy & Artem Lobov of team McGregor have both said this is the fight to make, his manager sort of said the same thing but he's obviously not going to rule out any other things he can use at the negotiation table.

Nate Diaz will want paid big money Ā up front and bigger piece of the PPV but before his fight with Conor, he had never headlined a PPV. Ā Ferguson just seems to want the real belt plus a PPV cut obviously.

Off topic from that, Zuffa seem to want to do Boxing (they tried to buy Top Rank but they signed with ESPN) and with PBC struggling, they may try and get Zuffa to promote Al Haymon's clients and WME IMG gets to go to Fox and demand a shit load of money and I could see both being on Fox/FS1 who need the programming & big monthly cards on Showtime/CBS (one event a year) as Haymon has a strong conection to them and the UFC cutting the number of PPVs and Showtime then running the remaining PPVs.

Archived