The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Any ideas what the main event might end up being for UFC 219 on December 30th? Usually they go for something big for the New Years PPV but there's nothing obvious jumping out and it's getting a bit late in the day now for announcements. If there's something big coming for 219, they really need to be announcing it now. 

This is how it's looking currently. Some really good fights but it needs a main event. 

Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Edson Barboza 

Dominick Cruz vs Jimmie Rivera 

Carlos Condit vs Neil Magny 

Kamaru Usman vs Emil Meek

Gokhan Saki vs Khalil Rountree 

Marc Diakiese vs Dan Hooker

Louis Smolka vs Matheus Nicolau

Cynthia Calvillo vs Carla Esparza 

Myles Jury vs Rick Glenn 

Is a McGregor fight realistic for this? Or maybe a Miocic title defence or something? 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

That's what I was thinking. Having Khabib vs Barboza on the same card as McGregor vs Ferguson would make all the sense in the world. But last I heard McGregor fighting this year was unlikely. Maybe that's changed?

Wonder if McGregor will shed any light on his next move on Wossy's show tonight? Probably not but you never know. 

• Paid Members

I heard a news headline in regards to Connor being caught on video making homophobic comments. Did anything come of that or was it just media nonsense?It was on either Talksport or BBC radio. Earlier this week. Right around the time McGregor was meant to record the Ross show. Is it possible that he ducked the interview, in light of this supposedly damning video?

• Paid Members

Yeah, I read a few things speculating that he might've been pulled out of the Jonathan Ross show to avoid that coming up. Probably a good idea really if true. He's never been on a show like that over here and the last thing you'd want is to be defending your homophobia to grannies and families who are seeing you for the first time. 

You can't be running around calling people faggots. End of. I don't care how popular you are or how many PPVs you sell. It's not acceptable. I get that he's got 'fuck you' money now but being a homophobic cunt is never a good look, is it? 

On 29/10/2017 at 12:03 PM, wandshogun09 said:

My mum still calls MMA 'that wrestling thing'. We think MMA has got bigger over here, and it has compared to 2007, but it's still just 'that thing where they roll about in the cage' to most of the country, isn't it? 

'That cage fighting' is what my dad calls it.

Archived