The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah, it's kind of the opposite to the Mayweather fight. In the Floyd fight Conor had nothing to lose and everything to gain. He's got a little bit better chance against Paulie but he'd still most likely lose. The payday won't be as big as the Floyd fight and if Conor loses again he looks a div. You can't just enter a sport like Boxing and take on former world champs. 

• Paid Members

Lil' Nog has been flagged by USADA, for the same substance as JDS tested positive for. He's been pulled from his upcoming fight on the Big Fox card with Jared Cannonier. They are apparently trying to find Cannonier another opponent.

• Paid Members

I'm maybe misreading this and confusing it with my own apathy towards McGregor boxing again, but I think Sailing Yacht A has well sailed on Conor v Paulie.

The truth is any Conor fight will do well on PPV in the foreseeable future, but you can see why he'd do boxing again, given how much more money he can make off it.

Paulie would obviously give up his entire 1998 wardrobe for an opportunity. You can't blame him for keeping this out there, even if he's coming across as a little pathetic.

• Paid Members

I don't blame either of them. I'm just not that arsed about seeing it. And I think for all the money he'd make, McGregor losing to Paulie (and he most likely would lose to Paulie) does some damage to McGregor. Losing to Floyd didn't. It's Floyd Mayweather. But outside of the Boxing bubble nobody knows who Paulie Malignaggi is. Plus like you say, it just feels like the ship's sailed. There was a point during the MayMac build up, when the Paulie soap opera shite was at the height of its ridiculousness, where I think actually wanted to see Conor vs Paulie more than Conor vs Floyd. But now I'm over the whole McGregor/Boxing thing. I just want to see McGregor get back to what he's good at. 

Tell you what though, if McGregor vs Malignaggi ends up getting signed, they need to strip McGregor of his belt then and let the lightweight division move on. I'm as big a McGregor fan as the next cunt but letting him keep the belt then would be bollocks. It's already been just shy of a year since he won it. 

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, David said:

Yeah, I'll agree with that. If he goes on a bit of a run then he has to be in the mix. What is he now? 24 unbeaten or something similarly silly?

24 unbeaten but his best win was against Dos Anjos over 3 years ago. Since that he's beaten Darrell Horcher (?) and beaten Michael Johnson who's a fringe contender at best. Khabib needs to get his shit together and win some fights.

• Paid Members

yep, the yaucht has sailed for me on Paulie/McGregor too, and i was full blown Team Paulie during the spat. Outside of money there's just not a lot to gain there for McGregor. That would be the first fight he'd take i think that would tarnish his legacy, he'd likely lose again and it would be too a guy way past his prime and a couple of years retured who was last seen getting stopped by Sam Eggington on an Eddie Hearn undercard, i know that shit would be glossed over but it all just feels a little cheap and desperate.

• Paid Members

Whoever Khabib fights next should also insist on being paid their show and win money, in the event that Khabib fails to make it to the cage. As others have said with regards to him, he's really in no position to make demands, or call other fighters chickens. He may walk through fighters when he gets to the cage but with his inconsistency in turn around time he's a complete liability when it comes to building anything around him.

2 hours ago, WeeAl said:

Whoever Khabib fights next should also insist on being paid their show and win money, in the event that Khabib fails to make it to the cage. As others have said with regards to him, he's really in no position to make demands, or call other fighters chickens. He may walk through fighters when he gets to the cage but with his inconsistency in turn around time he's a complete liability when it comes to building anything around him.

Apart from one time though, has Khabib pulled out at the last minute? Usually it's due to injuries, isn't it? And usually a good amount of time before the fight actually takes place? Not sure why anyone would be entitled to show and win in that case?

It's also worth pointing out that he's had his fair share of people switching up and pulling out on him, hasn't he? He was supposed to fight Gilbert Melendez, who pulled out and was replaced by Nate, who then said he didn't actually want the fight.

Tony Ferguson also pulled out on him less than two weeks out, didn't he? Horcher replaced him.

He's also one of few fighters I've seen who actually signed a contract for a title shot, had Dana announce it as happening, only for it to disappear in front of his eyes as the champion at the time chose to fight Conor instead.

There's no doubt the lad is injury prone (he seems to have a lot of trouble with his knees), and he's not had an easy time of it. A lot of his problems are self-inflicted, that is true, but he's been dealt a shitty hand a few times as well.

Archived