The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

Thing is, I remember watching PRIDE back in the day and watching Wanderlei Silva go to war with guys like Rampage and Arona, and even when he lost to fighters much bigger and stronger like Hunt, he lost via decision. He took the punches and finished the fight on his feet.

Then Cro Cop headkicked him into oblivion.

After that? His seemingly rock solid chin was gone. He lost via KO to Hendo in his next fight, was dropped by Chuck is his fight with him, KO'd by Rampage and KO'd by Leben. Basically, after that headkick from Cro Cop his chin was never the same.

That could easily be the case with DC as well. And I think that Volkan could be the very guy to put that to the test.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

That's the thing. And even though it was the first time DC had been stopped, he's taken a lot of heavy shots in his fights the last few years. He's praised for that in that he showed toughness, heart, durability etc but at the same time that's all miles on his clock. The Rumble knockdown in their first fight, the Rumble headkick in their second fight, the knee he took off Gustafsson that dropped him, the 5 rounds with Barnett in Strikeforce. And obviously the Jones stoppage. Not to mention who knows how many gym wars with Cain and Rockhold. It's all miles. Still, he's found a way to beat everyone bar Jon Jones. Until we see that his chin is cracking, rather than just speculating on it, I think I'd still pick him over everyone in the division currently. 

• Paid Members

I think age will be the biggest enemy of DC. It always is with great champions. DC is 39 next year and, as wand points out, he's as battle tested as any fighter - not only with his MMA fights, but the gruelling Olympic-level wrestling career before it. Coupled with the fact he's AKA through and through, so he's cunted himself in the gym getting this good.

Realistically, DC's probably only got another year or two at the very top level of the game; anymore than that he's mutant. Shame when he does pack it in, DC's been a treat to invest in ever since I saw him smack THE Bigfoot Silva around.

Thing with DC, as well, is did we get the best version of him in the UFC? He's obviously one of the best to do it, but he also only started in the UFC at around 34/35 - starting in pro-MMA at 30. It's nuts how good he is, considering how late he came into the game. He's truly a phenom. It's something that rarely gets brought up, but imagine if DC started a few years earlier? Maybe his physical peak was 5 year ago, even if his skills peak wasn't.

I know it doesn't matter - it's the old silly "imagine if Lesnar trained for years before he joined the UFC" - but I'm just blown away by what he's achieved, given his late start and lack of overall weapons, when he did start. Shows you what an A+ wrestler/athlete he is.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Guy Bifkin said:

CM Punk's next opponent?

"I don't think we really know what we are capable of until are limits are tested "

Fair play. What an amazing attitude. 

• Paid Members

Holloway vs Edgar has been booked for UFC 218, in Detroit, on December 2nd.

Carlos Condit's return fight is also booked, for UFC 219, against Neil Magny. That's a good fight for Condit to try and get rid of the ring rust and see where he's at. If his heart is in it fully, I'd expect him to beat Magny all day. 

I like the idea of Rumble at Heavyweight. 

I remember a journo saying after UFC 135 that Jon Jones would have beaten all 4 of the Heavyweights featured on the main card in the same evening. Hyperbole aside, I get what they meant. I can easily picture the Jones/Gusty/Rumble era of Light Heavyweights making inroads at Heavyweight.

Rumble is the weak link out of those 3, but I suspect he would still do okay. I could see him becoming a fringe contender at Heavyweight, and a fresh one at that. In his sole appearance at Heavyweight some 4 years ago, he managed to edge out Arlovski on points. That's quite impressive given that Arlovski was on a reasonable run outside of the UFC at the time. Arlovski was handily beating name journeymen at various shows. Rumble separated himself from them by matching/beating Arlvoski. 

• Paid Members

218 is looking great so far. Ngannou vs Overeem, Cejudo vs Pettis and Edgar vs Holloway. Those all on paper look to be great fights and brilliant pieces of match-making. 

4 hours ago, WeeAl said:

218 is looking great so far. Ngannou vs Overeem, Cejudo vs Pettis and Edgar vs Holloway. Those all on paper look to be great fights and brilliant pieces of match-making. 

Looking like Alvarez v Gaejthe is going to land on this card too. Which makes this card even more awesome.

• Paid Members

Fuck all these other fight announcements. There's a Fight Night on December 9th in Fresno. Cub Swanson vs Brian Ortega has been announced for it and is expected to be the main event. 

Swanson swooped in last December and, IMO, stole the FOTY honours with the Korean Superboy. And I could easily see him doing the same thing here with T-City. Love this fight. Style-wise it sounds like a perfect matchup and it's the step up which will tell us if Ortega is top level yet or not. Great, great fight.  

You wonder sometimes if Dana can sink any lower then he surprises you.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/10/8/16445046/ufc-216-dana-white-jason-aldean-las-vegas-shooting-snl-mma-news

Dana White - "Fuck you Jason Aldean, Stay out of Vegas".

Because the guy did'nt want to return to Vegas days after a mass shooting at his concert there and sing the national anthem at fucking UFC 216.

Archived