The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Not really; you've been driving discussion of this topic a fair bit recently, and in the past you've been given to the odd over-statement, so it's not always a given that we're going to get when you're being flippant or semi-serious. And like I said, I can't hear your tone (or anybody's) in an internet post.

Anyway, fair enough. You were exaggerating for the purpose of making a wider point as regards the nature of excessive promotion and marketing being prioritised over sportsmanship and ability; I agree with you to a fair extent.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Don't know if he'll do that, but I think he's got a pretty good chance against DC - he was very impressive in his last outing. I wouldn't care to bet who'd win, though.

If Oezdemir does well, that opens up Turkey for the UFC as a potential market. Yes, he's Canadian, but the Turks love to cheer their diasporic athletes as well as their native ones.

• Paid Members

As good as Oezdemir has looked so far, I still think it's way early to be giving him much of a shot against DC. Cormier is completely different to Manuwa, Cirkunov and OSP. In skill level and fighting style. I certainly wouldn't write Volkan off but all we know about him is he hits really fucking hard. He's not really answered any questions yet regarding the wrestling, how he handles things if the fight is going against him, and if he can go 5 rounds. And that's all stuff DC would be looking to and probably capable of exploiting. 

42 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

DC's also got an underrated chin on him too. Rumble couldn't down him with his bombs.

Even the Jones headkick didn't put DC out stone cold, like it would any normal person.

DC was fucked after that headkick though, and it's well known that such finishes can have a long lasting effect on fighters, especially older guys who've been around the block a few times. It'll be interesting to see how he looks in his next fight.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, David said:

DC was fucked after that headkick though, and it's well known that such finishes can have a long lasting effect on fighters, especially older guys who've been around the block a few times. It'll be interesting to see how he looks in his next fight.

We'll see. Age is also a factor.

Nonetheless, DC's chin is legit.

Archived