The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

I have to admit I've never seen Anderson fight before, but just from looking at her she at least physically looks like a 145llb'er, unlike most of Cyborg's recent opponents who have looked like blown up 135llb'ers. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

And also to see how good a fit Team Alpha Male is for him (provided they've told his old man to fuck off as they should).

14 hours ago, Noah Southworth said:

Anderson is comparable to Cyborg in terms of skill, but she's still going to be giving up size and power come fight time.

Yeah - Cyborg has a pretty hard weight cut to get down to 145 doesn't she?

Anyway I'm happy to see this division not thrown to the scrapheap just yet.  If they can keep Cyborg around long enough so that someone actually beats her, a star is born.

9 hours ago, OzExile said:

Yeah - Cyborg has a pretty hard weight cut to get down to 145 doesn't she?

Yes she does. And as long as Cyborg is determined to stay big, she'll always have trouble cutting to 145lbs.

9 hours ago, OzExile said:

If they can keep Cyborg around long enough so that someone actually beats her, a star is born.

The problem is that there just isn't anybody around who the UFC can use, maybe even including Megan Anderson, who has a realistic chance of beating Cyborg. The fighters who have the talent are just too small, and the fighters who have the size just don’t have the talent. By the time the fighter with the talent and size to threaten Cyborg does come around, Cyborg will have long since gone. Of course, that assumes that Cyborg can consistently make the weight and pass the tests and I’m sceptical about both of those things happening.

On This Day in MMA History (June 23rd)

KOTC 9: Showtime (June 23rd 2001)

Notable results from this event include the final fight of one of the early UFC stars, Dave Beneteau. Beneteau lost to Tim Catalfo by way of choke. The biggest name fighter on the card was probably Jason Lambert, beating Rick Mathis in the first round. MMA’s most famous jobber not called Bob Sapp, Shannon Ritch was in action. As ever, he lost, to Katsumi Usuata, in what would be the first loss in a 12-fight losing streak. The most notorious fighter on the card was Bobby Hoffman, who is in the main event, beating Kauai Kupihea. Whilst most fans remember Hoffman as one of the first UFC fighters to fail a drug test, Hoffman gained notoriety for almost beating his then-wife to death whilst under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Oh, and his manager, Monte Cox, fired him for allegedly threatening to kill his wife and children.

PRIDE 21: Demolition (June 23rd 2002)

On this day, Don Frye and Yoshihiro Takayama beat the living shit out of each other in one of the craziest fights in MMA history. Featuring what is probably the most famous exchange in MMA history, Frye and Takayama just laid into each other with reckless abandon, putting themselves on the map. Frye was already there but his name had kind of faded after four years away working for New Japan; a fight with Ken Shamrock earlier in 2002 had reminded people all about Frye, but it was this fight that firmly put Frye’s name back in the consciousness of fight fans. Takayama gained tremendous notoriety off of this fight, and it pretty well lit a rocket under his pro wrestling career, but the sad legacy of the fight is that it undoubtedly contributed to Takayama’s many brain issues over the year; not only did he take the damage from this fight, but Takayama’s gimmick in wrestling became that he could take lot of punishment and keep going, and it eventually caught up to him in 2004 when he suffered a cerebral thrombosis after a particular brutal match against Kensuke Sasaki.

The rest of Demolition wasn’t any good and the only real notable match was the 11-second massacre of Kiyoshi Tamura at the hands of Bob Sapp. I guess you could call it notable that Daniel Gracie made his MMA debut, beating pro wrestler Takashi Sugiura by split decision.

The Ultimate Fighter: Team Pulver vs. Team Penn Finale (June 23rd 2007)

Now this was a card packed with newsworthy fights. It was headlined by BJ Penn gaining revenge on Jens Pulver in a completely one-sided fight, with Penn choking Pulver out in 3:12 of the second round. Nate Diaz made his debut on the big stage, beating Manny Gamburyan to win season five of TUF, although it was a fluke ending with Gamburyan dislocating his right shoulder making a takedown early in the second round. The first round had seen Gamburyan come out on top and he was looking good for the win before the unfortunate ending. We never found out if Nate could have ever beaten Gamburyan properly as they never rematched, which is somewhat surprising because it seems like a natural rematch to make.

It wasn’t the only fight to have a controversial ending that evening as Gray Maynard vs. Rob Emerson was ruled a no-contest after Maynard knocked himself out taking Emerson down, with Emerson tapping out from the takedown due to inured ribs. Emerson tapped before it was noticed Maynard was out, but the question was whether Maynard being out should have counted at all given that Emerson did tap. It echoed the similarly controversial ending to the first Matt Hughes vs. Carlos Newton fight, with Hughes being out from the triangle choke but still managing to slam Newton to the mat and knocking him out. Hughes was ruled the winner, even though he was the first of two to go out; Hughes later admitted that he was out from the choke and had no idea what happened. In that case, Hughes and Newton had a rematch, but Maynard and Emerson did not.

K-1 World Grand Prix 2007 in Amsterdam

My knowledge of K-1 is limited to the bigger names, like Hoost, Bonjasky, Herts, etc, so I don’t recognize any of the names in the tournament. The tournament itself is worth a look, though. The highlight is probably Paul Slowinski chopping Hiromi Amada down with some vicious leg kicks, resulting in Amada getting TKO’d from being unable to stand. The non-tournament fights include Melvin Manhoef and Bob Sapp, both men doing exactly what they do best, and Semmy Schilt defending the Super Heavyweight title against Migihty Mo

UFC 147: Silva vs. Franklin II (June 23rd 2012)

This was a card that went through a lot of changes. The original main event of Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen II was bumped up a few weeks to headline UFC 148, so the co-main event of Wanderlei Silva vs. Vitor Belfort II was moved up to the main event slot. Then Vitor pulled out due to injury, so Rich Franklin was drafted in as a replacement. Elsewhere on the card, Daniel Sarafian was pulled from his TUF: Brazil final against Cezar Ferreira, also due to injury, and was replaced by Sergio Moraes. And if that wasn’t enough, a Jose Aldo title defence was considered for this card but the decision was made to keep Aldo on the UFC 149 card, for a fight that never happened due to Aldo getting injured.

Silva and Franklin ended up having a really good fight, so in that respect the fans in Brazil were happy, but the outcome, Franklin winning by unanimous decision, and the fact that they didn’t get the fight they really wanted to see, Silva vs. Belfort II, ended things on a bit of damp note for the live fans. Cezar Ferreira and Rony Jason (Rony Mariano Bezerra) won the TUF: Brazil Middleweight and Featherweight finals respectively, although neither has gone on to any great success in the UFC. Ferreria hasn’t been too bad, just not outstanding, and Jason is 0-3 1 NC in his last four fights, with the no-contest a result of a win being overturned due to a failed drug test.

Elsewhere on the main card, Fabricio Werdum destroyed Mike Russow in what was Russow’s penultimate fight in the UFC; Russow lost his next fight, was cut, and hasn’t fought since. Nothing stood out on the rest of the card, with UFC 147 living to its promise or lack thereof, although a lot of that was down to problems outside of the UFC’s control.

• Paid Members

Thanks Noah, that's a good read that. 

Are you planning on doing more of these? If so, might be worth starting a new thread and keeping this one for news. Would definitely be up for reading historical looks at MMA. 

16 minutes ago, Noah Southworth said:

Gray Maynard vs. Rob Emerson was ruled a no-contest 

That ruling robbed me of a perfect score. I predicated every other fight on that card correctly. These days, there's more chance of me headlining Glastonbury than nailing a perfect score. 

7 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Thanks Noah, that's a good read that. 

Are you planning on doing more of these? If so, might be worth starting a new thread and keeping this one for news. Would definitely be up for reading historical looks at MMA. 

I'll keep doing them if there is enough interest. Likewise with a new thread; if there is enough interest, I'll start one.

• Paid Members

Yeah you could probably do a 'On this day...' thread and just chip in whenever there's a date that warrants it. I'd read it. 

I remember going mental when Wandy beat Franklin from pillar to post after that big knockdown. That was about as close to a stoppage, without there being a stoppage, as you can get. Right up with Carwin vs Lesnar for me. A lot of refs probably would've stepped in. Franklin coming back from that to dominate for a decision win was a testament to just how tough he was. Franklin was granite. It got overlooked a lot, I guess because of the pink shorts and the Jim Carrey face. But he was tough as fuck. 

Oh and not MMA but this weekend also marks the 10 year anniversary of Chris Benoit putting  his dogs in the enclosed pool area. 

3 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Franklin was granite. It got overlooked a lot, I guess because of the pink shorts and the Jim Carrey face. But he was tough as fuck. 

Franklin had a tendency to get clipped; even at the height of his career. Loiseau dropped him in their 5 rounder. Tanner dropped him in their 2nd fight as well. A few questioned his chin. He was resilient though. Not only did he climb off the deck to win the fights previously mentioned; but he was also in bother against Lutter and Okami on the ground. He emerged victorious in those fights as well. You could never question his heart. 

Archived