The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

12 hours ago, Carbomb said:

To be fair to DJ, perhaps he knows very well he's not going to be much of a draw with his personality, so he's doing the next best thing, which is build up enough of a resume for the UFC promotional machine to work with, and thus get him more money matches via the quiet route? When you can say you've got the record in the most title defences, it can potentially add to your marketability, especially if it makes it easier for the commentators to call you the best P4P fighter in the business.

Whilst that does make sense, you still need a connection, either in personality or charisma, wit the fans, and DJ just doesn't have that beyond the base audience. For better or for worse, DJ has likely hit his ceiling in terms of being an attraction,

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Just now, Noah Southworth said:

Whilst that does make sense, you still need a connection, either in personality or charisma, wit the fans, and DJ just doesn't have that beyond the base audience. For better or for worse, DJ has likely hit his ceiling in terms of being an attraction,

Oh yeah, I don't doubt that - I just meant that I think maybe he thinks he can compensate for that deficiency by forcing the issue with sheer output and numbers. He's most likely on a hiding to nothing, I reckon.

1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

Oh yeah, I don't doubt that - I just meant that I think maybe he thinks he can compensate for that deficiency by forcing the issue with sheer output and numbers. He's most likely on a hiding to nothing, I reckon.

I think you're right, on both counts. I believe the only way this situation changes is if DJ gets his Chael Sonnen, that personal rival who can carry both shares of the load when it comes to generating interest.

• Paid Members
Just now, Noah Southworth said:

I think you're right, on both counts. I believe the only way this situation changes is if DJ gets his Chael Sonnen, that personal rival who can carry both shares of the load when it comes to generating interest.

Yeah, he only really had John Dodson, who was OK I guess, but nowhere near the level of Sonnen/McGregor as either a speaker or as a threat, fight-wise. At the moment, I don't know if there is anyone around like that.

How many current BWs could theoretically move down to 125? There might be an interest in a Dominick Cruz rematch if he could make the weight, but I don't know off the top of my head if he's a large or small BW.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, David said:

The thing is, and i'm not sure if anyone else feels the same way, DJ annoys the shit out of me. If he played his cards right he could be the guy that everyone wants to see get put on his arse.

He doesn't annoy me as such; as a fighter he's mesmerising to watch. But I agree that his chance of making money could be by being the boring villain that everyone wants to see beaten (and doesn't get to for a long time).

5 minutes ago, David said:

The thing is, and i'm not sure if anyone else feels the same way, DJ annoys the shit out of me. If he played his cards right he could be the guy that everyone wants to see get put on his arse.

As a wise man once said, you might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, David said:

If that's his thinking then he's insane. He's been champ for almost five years, defended the title numerous times and still no one really cares who he is.

And that's perfectly fine, if he's just wanting to come in and fight, get his money and move along then there's no issue there. But he can't then cry about not getting the money that he thinks he deserves.

Sorry David, for some reason I missed this.

I agree, but in fairness, one could argue that breaking the record could be what gives his reign more profile and marketability. I don't think it will, but I can see why a case could be made for it.

• Paid Members

Gokhan Saki has signed with the UFC, not sure he's a heavyweight or light heavyweight but matches correctly he could do some damage. It's a real Bellator esque move by the UFC though.

• Paid Members

I really like Saki so I'm intrigued and looking forward to this. Unless he's been rolling with black belts for years on the quiet (which I doubt) then he's going to be chewed up by the strong grapplers but he could be a really fun addition on some of the European cards if matched up right. Obviously they can't just exclusively give him strikers forever but there's fun to be had with letting him smash a few standup guys before chucking him in with someone who will choke him out. I wish they'd done similar with Manhoef years ago but it was a different time then. 

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Sorry David, for some reason I missed this.

I agree, but in fairness, one could argue that breaking the record could be what gives his reign more profile and marketability. I don't think it will, but I can see why a case could be made for it.

I guess there's a case from a purely sporting point of view, but I don't think that's how it would work really. He'll know that as well, unless he's an idiot.

• Paid Members

Roy Nelson has signed with Bellator, Roy's on the slide but he's still an attraction. Wouldn't be surprised if they put him in straight for the vacant belt and he wins the fucker.

Archived