The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
2 hours ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

Romero vs. Whittaker for the interim middleweight title at UFC 213 (the big July show). I'm ecstatic, obviously.

What a fight that fucker is. Amazing. UFC 213's main card is unreal..

Nunes vs Shevchenko

Romero vs Whittaker

Lawler vs Cerrone

Overeem vs Werdum

Pettis vs Miller

HOLY FUCK!

5 hours ago, Supremo said:

I know it's not news, but Demetrius Johnson is a fucking goof who deserves to be poor forever. He has absolutely no grasp of business or how to make money at all. He's the antithesis of Conor McGregor.

With Cody injured and their fight off, the rumours are that they want to move TJ to 125 and make Mighty Mouse vs. TJ Dillashaw for the title. A great idea. 

Despite this being the most appealing fight in the history of the 125 division, and easily the best fight for Mighty Mouse to make the big money he's always whinging he doesn't make, he's now complaining on Twitter that he wants to fight Ray Borg (who the fuck is that guy?) instead and that TJ should first get a win at 125 before he's allowed a title shot.

He's a moron. Despite how much I want to see him against Dillashaw, just to spite him I now hope that Dillashaw does take a warm up fight at 125 and loses. If DJ is so thick as to put obstacles in the way of the one fight that people might actually want to pay money and see, I hope it slips through his fingers and he never gets it. Like he never gets anything.

Ray Borg, seriously? I couldn't even pick him out of a lineup!

I think Johnson knows the business and how to make money. He just refuses to do it. And he has every right to complain about the way things are, that it’s colourful characters and personalities and partially exaggerated feuds that make the most money. But at some point you need to just shut up and accept it, because it’s not going to change and the constant bitching does you no favours.

It’s always going to be the colourful and charismatic that make the most money, above those with more actual skill. And whilst there might be exceptions to this rule, they are rare, and it’s long been proven that Johnson is not one of those exceptions. I think Johnson is supremely talented and that it’s a shame that someone of his talent doesn’t make more money. But that’s just how it is. And as long as Johnson refuses to play ball, even a little, that’s the way it will always be.

• Paid Members

Johnson/Dillashaw is more of a 'superfight' than a 'moneyfight', it definitely does better ratings than a potential Mouse/Borg fight, it's a shame Dillashaw wasn't still carrying the 135lb title, then they could really get behind this thing. Still, if Johnson's gonna beat that record it would be better to do it against a more notable name like Dillashaw.

Can TJ even make 125 though?

There's a real barrel scraping feel to 125lb. Ray Borg deserves his shot as much as some of the Mighty Mouse challengers have but it's starting to feel like a bum of the month situation. That sounds terrible and Borg is a handful for anyone else in the division, there's just a guy on top who's head and shoulders above everyone. Everyone else at 125 all trade wins and losses, there's no real standout who's walking through guys and laying claim to that shot (Borg himself is two fights removed from a loss to Justin Scoggins), but because the Champion is so dominant anyone who can string a win or two together is in line for a shot. The other shit thing about it is the legit second best guy in the divsion has been comprehensively beaten by the Champ twice.

• Paid Members

that too, i quite like that a guy stays in his division and just rules over it beating all comers, it is refreshing in times when guys win a few fights and think they are above the division.

Johnson/Dillashaw isn’t a big money fight or even a moderate money fight. I don’t think that changes even with the champion versus champion aspect to it. But because it won’t mean anything on PPV, there’s no harm in seeing what it can do on TV, as a FOX headliner, and I think it would actually do well in that position, especially if the countdown gets put on FOX, which it should do given that they would also be invested in making sure it does well.

• Paid Members

I didn't mean to portray TJ as a massive draw or anything. He's far from it. But doesn't that speak for how uninteresting the 125 division is that a DIllashaw title shot is infinitely more exciting and interesting that anyone else getting the shot. 

Honestly, 75% of the time I've never even heard of DJ's championship opponents until after his fight. At the very least, I thought the TJ fight would make a good pay per view semi-main event, whereas most of DJ's title fights don't even make appealing main events on free TV.

• Paid Members

Yeah it's definitely more interesting than anything currently at 125. The thing is I don't think there are really any real money fights for DJ at the moment. Dillashaw, Cruz, Garbrandt are all higher risk opponents that could well derail his current streak and delay his efforts to smash Anderson's record, which seems to be his main thing at the minute. Higher risk and for probably little more reward than he'd get for squashing some fucker like Ray Borg, Sergio Pettis or whoever. 

And personally, I'd much rather just wait and get this Cody vs TJ fight rescheduled than see a Mighty Mouse vs Dillashaw fight cobbled together and sold to us as a 'superfight'. I think that phrase gets bandied about too freely these days as well. A superfight to me should be more than just champ vs champ or weightclass vs weightclass. I guess there's no concrete definition but there's been very few fights I'd actually consider a superfight. GSP vs Anderson would've been a superfight back when both were at their best. Same with Cain vs Jones. If GSP regains the belt at 170 and fights McGregor, that's a superfight. DJ vs TJ though? It would be great to see but it's not that kind of thing by any stretch. Not even in the same galaxy. 

Edit - then again, the first official UFC 'Superfight' was Royce Gracie vs Ken Shamrock 2 at UFC V. So you might as well disregard all the above. 

It made me laugh listening to Bisping on his podcast and the Fighter & The Kid reaction to the Cyborg/Magana incident. They were all like "who the fuck is Angela Margana ?". Then mass hate on her for threatening to sue. 

Looking at her record her last win was August 2011. Since then 0-5 if you include TUF. Fucking hell she might sue she probably needs the money.

Yeah it also builds up his legacy if he wins, Silva fought a few pretty bad match ups for himself, Dan Henderson could have been a bad match up, Sonnen dominated him but he ended up finding a way to win, DJ hasn't really been in challenged as chamo, since the first Benavidez fight ( yea I know he wasn't champ but it was for the belt)

I still say GSP has the better legacy, he fought several legends (Hughes & Penn) or guys with long undefeated streaks like Fitch & Shields, so he would be my GOAT

Jones could surpass GSP but he did fight a several ex champs who were on the decline beating Cormier & Gustafson again may sway my opinion.

I've said this numerous times on this forum. GSP thrived for a prolonged period of time in an ever-evolving division. He saw off the Penn/Hughes/Trigg era of the mid-00's, got the best of the mouth-watering Alves/Kos/Fitch trio of the late 00's, and fended off the Condit/Diaz/Shields batch from the early 00's. Between all of those mentioned, they barely took 2/3 rounds off him - despite all of them being in their primes (other than Hughes who beat a green GSP in 2004, after a shaky first round)

Jones impresses me just as much as GSP, but to date, his resume is less impressive. Mostly due to the stagnation of the Light Heavyweight division, but also due to the size advantage he holds. He beat blown up Middleweights in Shogun, Rashad, Sonnen and Machida to stamp his dominance on the division. GSP did beat blown-up Lightweights in Sean Sherk and BJ Penn, but as the years went on, he rarely had the size advantage that Jones had when he initially made his mark. Welterweight evolved in a way that Light-Heavyweight has not. GSP had to get by on skill alone, even in his last performance against Hendricks, it was his skillful boxing from range that won the judges over. He was naturally the smaller man, something that Jones has rarely been.

Jones has wins over Gusty and D.C. Those two scalps are comparable to GSP's best wins. If Jones can beat both in rematches, and maybe take on a top-level Heavyweight - then I might consider putting Jones on-par with GSP. As it stands, I think GSP still has an edge in the GOAT stakes. For now, I put Jones on par with Fedor and Anderson in the 2-4 slots. Aldo comes in 5th, Then the likes of D.J, Hendo and Edgar. 

• Paid Members

To be fair to DJ, perhaps he knows very well he's not going to be much of a draw with his personality, so he's doing the next best thing, which is build up enough of a resume for the UFC promotional machine to work with, and thus get him more money matches via the quiet route? When you can say you've got the record in the most title defences, it can potentially add to your marketability, especially if it makes it easier for the commentators to call you the best P4P fighter in the business.

10 hours ago, Carbomb said:

To be fair to DJ, perhaps he knows very well he's not going to be much of a draw with his personality, so he's doing the next best thing, which is build up enough of a resume for the UFC promotional machine to work with, and thus get him more money matches via the quiet route? When you can say you've got the record in the most title defences, it can potentially add to your marketability, especially if it makes it easier for the commentators to call you the best P4P fighter in the business.

If that's his thinking then he's insane. He's been champ for almost five years, defended the title numerous times and still no one really cares who he is.

And that's perfectly fine, if he's just wanting to come in and fight, get his money and move along then there's no issue there. But he can't then cry about not getting the money that he thinks he deserves.

Archived