The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

Everyone here is liking DC personally more, myself included. Won't mean mean much when the fight starts.

Like him or not JJ has a way bigger fanbase than DC Stateside and will have way more and louder fans in the arena that night. If DC was to win with say lots of cage grinding he won't be met like a conquering Babyface he will by boo's by the crowd. 

There is alot of US fans who still see Jones as champ and DC as a wannabee. DC needs a decisive win to win over those fans. If he can KO or Submit JJ that could be a real changing of the guard moment.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I don't even care what those fans like. If they prefer a twat like Jones that's their issue. If I was DC I wouldn't want the cheers of fans who support Mr Coke and Dick Pills, or glory hunting knobs that will suddenly be won around if you beat him. Fuck those types. If you're a fan of a fighter you're a fan win or lose. Shogun's been my favourite fighter forever and there were times when the poor prick couldn't beat an egg, but I was still rooting for him. What kind of twat only cheers who they think will definitely win? 

I'd love nothing more than for DC to somehow surprise everyone and beat Jones down. Then when those dickheads start cheering, tell the bandwagon jumping losers that if they weren't cheering him before the fight then fuck off. 

I think DC cares "Why are you booing me?".

I'm saying anyone expecting some huge babyface reaction to DC winning maybe left wanting. DC isn't very popular. He needs those casual fans to be a star. If he bodies JJ he becomes a megastar in American MMA.

If he wall and stalls an ugly DEC he won't be winning many new fans though.

• Paid Members

I don't think anyone is expecting some massive babyface reaction though. At this point, DC seems to have accepted that too. 

I just want to see DC win. I don't care about the crowd reaction or whether DC wins them around. 

For the people who don't like Cormier, nothing will be good enough anyway. Even if he somehow smashes Jones to bits, they'll probably be going 'he didn't beat the best Jon Jones. He beat a Jones coming off a long layoff who was distracted' etc etc. There's a ready made excuse there for the Cormier haters. 

It's all probably redundant anyway because chances are between now and July, Jones fucks up again and the thing gets cancelled. Again. Two months is plenty of time for Jones to mess up. He's such a complete fucking idiot. 

• Paid Members

Cody Garbrandt might be out of UFC 213. Back injury apparently. Helwani's saying they haven't confirmed it's off yet but he doesn't sound too hopeful that it goes ahead on that date. 

Shit.

• Paid Members

It's for the best. Fighters always go in hurt, but I don't know how you fight and train anywhere near your capabilities with a bad back. Rubbish news, of course, but not unexpected, considering Dana was flying him here, there and everywhere, only for the news to be the same.

• Paid Members

It's maybe for the best that it splits up the title matches for different shows, and might help prevent a situation down the line where another interim title gets created simply because they need a title defence for a PPV without having any champions ready to go. 

As strange as it may sound as well, it might be for the best for Cody as well that it's bad enough to call the fight off. Your back giving you issues, never mind an actual injury, is enough to hamper your training as Bollocks has said, at least this way he won't be able to try and go in at 80% and will hopefully be healed by the time the fight happens in the future.

• Paid Members

It's definitely for the best but its still shit. All this drama and handbags on TUF, the fight being delayed by them coaching TUF and now this happens and the fight is delayed even longer. 

I know they can't change it because of venues, tickets sold, PPV etc but was it necessary to have 2 PPVs in July? Look at the monster show they could've done if they'd merged 213 and 214...

Daniel Cormier vs Jon Jones 2 - Light Heavyweight Title

Amanda Nunes vs Valentina Shevchenko 2 - Bantamweight Title 

Fabricio Werdum vs Alistair Overeem 3

Robbie Lawler vs Donald Cerrone 

Chan Sung Jung vs Ricardo Lamas

Anthony Pettis vs Jim Miller

Doo Ho Choi vs Andre Fili

Travis Browne vs Oleksiy Oliynyk

Look at THAT! They wouldn't have even felt losing Cody vs TJ off this bastard. Not a ripple. 

• Paid Members

That would be a fucking amazing show, the best card of the year by far. But it's down to money. That card, unfortuntaely, wouldn't perform any better than Jones/Cormier above a  2 1/2 hour time limit bout between Ryan Bader and Cheick Kongo. 

Jones v Cormier will do anywhere between 600-900k buys depending on how wrapped up people get in the hype. Nunes v Shevchenko at the start of the month will probably do 210k-240k. If you add them to the 214 show then it just means losing 200,000+ buys plus ticket sales rather than bumping up another show. Unfortunately. In a perfect world we'd be getting the card you laid out Wand and we'd all be trying to avoid the heart attacks the excitement of it would be bringing on.

• Paid Members

You're right and that all makes sense. But in some ways I just think it's a little bit short sighted. They make more money in the short term that way but I think having 2-3 seriously mega PPVs like that a year would probably see an overall boost in general excitement and buzz in the UFC product as a whole. But then again, they're the ones who had $4 billion to spend and I'm skint so what do I really know about this shit? 

I just think now and then it's good to push the boat out. That potential card I posted isn't any more ridiculously stacked than 205 was, so I don't think something like that is asking too much. 

Oh well, 213 and 214 still look really good regardless. 

• Paid Members

I think ideally you're right too, as lacklustre PPV's generally just lead to apathy over time. We only have to look to wrestling for that. I think two months ago though they were probably hoping both of these shows would be monsters, with GSP v Bisping on one, and Jones v Cormier II on the other. Now with Garbrandt v Dillashaw and Bisping v GSP off the table, that has all went to shit. 

So, Cyborg punched Angela Magana at the UFC Retreat yesterday. Magana has been saying a lot of unkind things, shall we say, about Cyborg on Twitter, and Cyborg took issue with it. Words were exchanged and then Cyborg walloped her. No major damage seems to have been done; Magana posted a picture on Twitter and she looks fine. She is pressing charges, however.

I’m glad Magana is pressing charges. Regardless of what Magana said on Twitter,  Cyborg’s actions were totally out of line. You can’t go around punching people just because you don’t like what they’re saying. That said, I don’t feel a lot of sympathy of Magana because she’s such a lousy human being. The ‘vinegar tits’ moniker fits her nicely.

When it comes to PPV, as long they remain a license to print money, WME are going to keep churning them out every month, even if they don’t make as much money as they used to. WME are looking to make their money now, regardless of how little money it might be, so the idea of sacrificing in the short term to build for the long term is something they’re just not going to entertain. The WME grab for money, which is understandable to a degree given their investment, also means we get titles, both official and interim, that make no sense because of their belief that PPVs need title fights. Unfortunately, this only leads to the devaluing of the titles we already have. Now more than ever, it’s the person holding the title that gives it value, rather than the title itself having any inherent value. And most of the UFC titles don’t mean a lot.

When it comes to how many PPVs to have, I agree with those who think there should be fewer. If WME insist on having major monthly shows, I think they should go with 8 PPVs a year and in the months without a PPV, run the big FOX shows. That way, you get the monthly major show, but you might make PPVs mean more by having fewer of them, and thereby make more money in the long run.

And there are ways to tie in the PPVs with the FOX shows to build up future title fights. For example, let’s say you have a PPV in August and a FOX show in September. The lightweight champion can defend on the PPV, the two top contenders can fight on FOX, and the champion can be at cageside on the FOX show so they can set up the next lightweight title fight. You make the FOX show mean something because the main event is deciding who gets a title fight, and you use the exposure on FOX to build that title fight, making it bigger, and, in theory, making it more profitable.

There are a lot of ways you could try and improve things as it relates to PPV. Unfortunately, we’re unlikely to see any of them used, because most if not all of them involve long term thinking, and WME just aren’t interested in that.

One thing from that presser that I think will have stuck with DC is when Jones basically told him that back when they fought the first time he was slap bang in the middle of his "issues", all fucked up on coke, not sleeping properly, partying like there was no tomorrow, and he still shut DC down quite easily.

If DC couldn't beat Jones when he was on the verge of losing it all, what chance does he have against a guy who's focused, clean and has something to prove?

DC is gonna get fucked up this fight, I can see him shooting for a few takedowns, failing, crumbling mentally and then taking a battering.

Archived