The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'll start off with this;

Just read that Edson Barboza's Tekken style spinning kick KO of Terry Etim is up for an ESPY award this year in the 'Play Of The Year' category.

Apparently it's reached the final eight stage beating out some golf double eagle which was the #3 seed to win the award. Barboza's kick was only the #14 seed overall so he's doing well already.

Hope he wins,

I'll start off with this;

Just read that Edson Barboza's Tekken style spinning kick KO of Terry Etim is up for an ESPY award this year in the 'Play Of The Year' category.

Apparently it's reached the final eight stage beating out some golf double eagle which was the #3 seed to win the award. Barboza's kick was only the #14 seed overall so he's doing well already.

Hope he wins,

Thanks for that. It's going to take something amazing visually and with significance to stop it getting Knockout of the Year (hell it's one of the best knockouts in MMA history.):

496250330.gif

Speaking of awards, what's the show of the year so far? For me it would be either UFC 142: Aldo vs. Mendes, UFC 144: Edgar vs. Henderson or UFC 146: dos Santos vs. Mir. Right now I'd pick UFC 144 over UFC 142, just.

EDIT: Mike Thomas Brown isn't retiring as he's signed a new five fight contract with the UFC.

The Nottingham show is shaping up nicely, here's the current card

Stipe Miocic vs. Stefan Struve

Yves Jabouin vs. Brad Pickett

Dan Hardy vs. Amir Sadollah

Duane "Bang" Ludwig vs. Che Mills

John Hathaway vs. John Maguire

Brad Tavares vs. Tom Watson

Akira Corassani vs. Andy Ogle

Paul Sass vs. Matt Wiman

Jorgen Kruth vs. Fabio Maldonado

Robert Peralta vs. Jason Young

Gunnar Nelson & Jimi Manuwa should be making their debuts as well but still need opponents.

• Paid Members

Good to hear Mike Brown's sticking around for abit. I'm down with the Brown.

As for show of the year, so far at least, these have all been stellar;

UFC 142: Aldo vs Mendes

UFC 144: Edgar vs Henderson

UFC 146: Dos Santos vs Mir

UFC on FUEL 2: Gustafsson vs Silva

they're the pick of the bunch up to now for me as far as cards that delivered pretty much top to bottom. If I had to nitpick then 146 was my personal favourite. 144 was awesome but I found the Rampage fight depressing to watch, the rest of the card was top notch though.

146 was just fantastic. The fights were all quality (bar the Mayhem/CB dud), loads of finishes and some cracking undercard fights like the above mentioned Mike Brown vs Daniel Pineda. Even the results went pretty much exactly as I hoped aswell.

JDS schooling Mir was just the cherry on the bakewell of an incredibly fun show.

• Paid Members

Jesus, the Notts show really does look belting on paper. I still think they went too far and took the piss with the prices but I've no doubts that the people going will have a blast. I'd be very surprised if them fight don't deliver.

• Paid Members

Jimi Manuwa has been confirmed for the Nottingham card, but his opponent is yet to be announced. Also, this has been a bad day for BAMMA, they lost two of their biggest stars in one day to the UFC, either they need to sign one or two big names or else their card for Wembley could be a huge loss for them. The best they can do at the moment? Leeroy Barnes Vs. Jack Marshman for the vacant MW title perhaps?

• Paid Members

Yeah Kruth's no spring chicken. Usually I wouldn't see them giving a second look to a guy pushing 40 with only 5 MMA fights but Kruth's a very seasoned striker. He's listed at 71-14-2 in kickboxing, fought the likes of Mike Bernardo and beat Stefan Leko and Paul Slowinski who were very good strikers. And he's won all his MMA fights inside a round so far.

Who knows with a guy like that? Could go the way of Manhoef having mixed results and getting tapped out on a regular basis. Or he could be the second coming of Cro Cop. We'll have to wait and see.

He's certainly being given a tough task with Maldonado. Really excited for that fight.

Barboza's kick is the most visually stunning KO this year without a doubt. A lot of other KO's were just well timed punches. Aldo's knee was cool, but Barboza runs away with it.

As for the best event, UFC 144. 146 was great as well, but that was more down to the inherent awesomeness of heavies swinging leather. In honestly, I felt JDS vs Mir was one of the most anticlimatic fights of the year, ending with a weird hammer fist/bitch slap and the whole thing was embarrassingly one-sided. Plus I kinda wanted to see Mir get more violently beat down :devil:

Was looking at some info about the new Linkin Park album and came across this MMA gem:

The A.V. Club gave the album a C, commenting that the band "can dial down (or turn back up) the heaviness all it wants, recruit the most Grammy-proven producers, and keep current with the latest electronic textures, but those moves can only take Linkin Park so far when its songs have all the emotional range of an MMA bout

Dumb bitch. MMA bouts have plenty of emotional range, someone needs to show her Hendo/Shogun. But it's a fine example of how misunderstood MMA continues to be in the mainstream.

• Paid Members

Despite the price uproar about the Nottingham card the UFC really have spoiled us with the actual card, considering it's a 'small' show they've stacked that thing. If you're someone who has an avid follower of UK MMA that card is a must-see.

Paul Sass vs. Matt Wiman

Gunnar Nelson & Jimi Manuwa should be making their debuts as well but still need opponents.

Looks like it should be a very good night for the UK fighters aswell. Sass vs Wiman should be great and is a tough fight for Sass, though I'd fancy Pickett, Hardy, Mills and Watson all to win, and do so comfortably.

Paul Sass vs. Matt Wiman

Looks like it should be a very good night for the UK fighters aswell. Sass vs Wiman should be great and is a tough fight for Sass, though I'd fancy Pickett, Hardy, Mills and Watson all to win, and do so comfortably.

Hardy should be winning comfortably....however we'll wait and see on the night as Sadollah is likely to want to keep it standing with him so it's going to just turn into a kickboxing bout and go to the judges score cards meaning I think it could go either way.

I fancy Tavares against Tom Watson. Watson who got a very fabourable home field decision against Matt Horwich, struggled a decision past Alex Reid, beat a semi-retired Ninja Rua and an extremely one dimensional and relatively inexperienced Jack Marshman in his last few fights with the only one between those being a heavily one sided decision loss to Jesse Taylor. I don't see Watson doing anything of note in the UFC, he would probably have been better off staying in BAMMA and fighting bums than going to UFC and losing to their bottom rung fighters.

Gunnar Nelson is someone I'm really looking forward to seeing in the UFC. I've seen him fight for BAMMA a couple of times and he looked excellent on both occasions. His grappling ability is phenomenal and at only 23 he's got lots of time on his side as well, definately think he's one to watch out for.

Archived