Worst interview / promo guys ever?

CiderBag

Fuck positivity.

Who do you regard as being some of the lousiest mic workers of all time? Any era, any promotion.

Andre the Giant is a stand out for me. Judged by today's standards or yesterdays standards he was just awful:

. All I can say is, Rob Reiner must be the greatest director of all time...

Perhaps Yokozuna was saddled with the Japanese gimmick because those backstage had sensitive hearing? During the period where he'd speak he just seemed to needlessly shout a lot when he spoke:

+ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tex9eAmJxpY

I liked Shane Douglas early mic work but after he flopped in the WWF his promos took a U-Turn. Instead of trying to buy people into matches / feuds / angles etc etc he used the time to go on rants with no direction, in front of increasingly smaller and dirtier audiences: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dVg42jFbUg

Who do you rate as being horrid?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There'll be loads who barely left a dent in the business because they were so shit. Relative to his actual success and how decent he is in other areas though, I think Jeff Hardy is fucking shocking on the mic. Don't recall ever seeing him give a good promo.

I'll base this on guys that did well rather tgan complete flops. I'm not saying they were ALWAYS shit, but Bret and Owen were really stumbley sometimes. They knew how to talk and what message to get across, but they would sometimes get a bit tied up and the big finish would be a flat fart. Owen more than Bret but they both had their moments. It shows a lot in late 97 when Michaels is setting records for cuntish behaviour and Bret can't fly by the seat of his pants without getting in a bit if a muddle. They would both be two guys who would benefit from the scripting today - let somebody else write the words and the structure and they're a shitload better than today's drones at actually making it believable.

Bulldog too, but he was much worse. He was a shambles a lot of the time. Now someone post the I'm Bizarre video.

I remember a few years ago when Sky Sports showed some old WWF Superstars from the mid to late 80's that Ken Patera was absolute dogshit on the mic. He would look into a camera like a caveman mesmerised by fire and would just list midcard wrestlers of the day saying how tough they were. How he stayed at the WWF I do not know.

I'll base this on guys that did well rather tgan complete flops. I'm not saying they were ALWAYS shit, but Bret and Owen were really stumbley sometimes. They knew how to talk and what message to get across, but they would sometimes get a bit tied up and the big finish would be a flat fart. Owen more than Bret but they both had their moments. It shows a lot in late 97 when Michaels is setting records for cuntish behaviour and Bret can't fly by the seat of his pants without getting in a bit if a muddle.

I definitely agree with the Owen call. I think, more than anything, what kept him back from really making the breakthrough as a main eventer was his lack of promo skills, and I think a big part of that was his squeaky voice. It was really noticeable during the late 97/early 98 period when he was supposed to be portraying a mentalist. Even a Benoit monotone was more desirable for an aspiring main eventer, because you can buy a psychopath who drones like he's been sedated, but never one who talks like Joe Pasquale.

They would both be two guys who would benefit from the scripting today - let somebody else write the words and the structure and they're a shitload better than today's drones at actually making it believable.

I think yes and no on this. On Owen, yes. On Bret, I'd say he could benefit from the structure, but the problem with him isn't that he's not an interesting or articulate bloke, it's that he seems like a really shit actor what with the stumbling over lines and whatnot - I'm not sure having to memorise a script wouldn't do more harm than good with him. I'd be interested in the extent to which his promos were scripted during his return the other year, because those were some of the worst performances I've seen him give in his career. His writing in his book and the promos he gave in 97 suggest to me he's better with language and imagery than the majority of the hacks writing for WWE right now, it's just that he struggles when he's required to 'dumb it down' to basics, for want of a better phrase.

Eddie Edwards. I want ROH to be alive and put on a good show, but Eddie Edwards is just dire. I heard a clip today where he was compared to as an all time ROH great and won all titles, I never knew anyone who's finishing move could be to bland an opponent into unconciousness.

Never rated RVD much. His character is super laid back and I understand that, but seriously if you listen to the whole one of his promo he goes from Seth Rogen-esque charmer to absolute bellend, and he never knows when to shut up.

Archived