Best and Worst Spotfests

Forrest

Cage Of Death 5 is a fucking insane spotfest. It has one ring surrounded by the cage, attached to a platform suspended about 20 feet in the air and under that platform is another ring surrounded by 1 million thumbtacks. The brawling inebtween spots is pretty dull and the story twists in the match make no sense but it also has probably about 15 HUGE fucking mental spots. Several of which I would put up as even crazier than Foley's Hell In A Cell bumps.

They do but you could telegraph them a mile off and the ending was fucked by Zandig calling his spot too early.

If you only watched COD match itself it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense because there was quite a few storylines spanning months and this was their climax.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
More recently, it has been the daredevil flyers which have made AAA undercards worth watching.

..and there's another one that's a tonne of fun from this weeks TV.

But for all the wowing at the flashy tecnicos, what stood out most to me was a bit of a smarky thing - that Semental is amazing.

CMLL were off their heads to let him leave, especially considering they're so choc full of clueless, rookie highflyers who are as rough as a badgers arse.

A different sort of spot-fest but still enjoyable at the time (maybe not so much now with concussion legacy) were the Mike Awesome/Masato Tanaka matches from FMW/ECW - just brutal stuff with the chair shots, crazy suplexes, dives and powerbomb variations - even the 2005 one, which was basically a sprint version of their previous matches, was completely crazy as it was totally different to anything else done by WWE at the time, and won over the crowd and commentary team who were initially hostile, stealing the show IIRC....

More recently, it has been the daredevil flyers which have made AAA undercards worth watching.

Very true. So often you get a card that's otherwise choc full of brawling hardcore matches and the only break from that is a spotfest on the undercard.

• 1 year later...

Fenix and Drago are probably two of the more entertaining guys in AAA really. If I had Drago on my roster I'd push him to the fucking moon. He's a dragon who comes out swinging nunchucks, if that's not main event material than I dunno what is. There's something quite likable about Fenix too, even if I'm not entirely sure what it is.

• Paid Members

I'm always unsure where people draw the line between an insane, high flying match & a spotfest? Or are the the same thing? Anyway...the first one to spring to mind was this beauty from Starrcade 2000

in a 6 man ladder match.

• Paid Members
I rememeber there being a few cracking cruiserweight type ladder matches on the final WCW PPVs.

This was one :

Anyway...the first one to spring to mind was this beauty from Starrcade 2000

in a 6 man ladder match.

Mike's got the wrong end of the stick with the labelling - it's actually Moore & Helms VS Kaz & Yang VS Jamie Noble & Karagias after the latter had both been kicked out of their groups, where the person that gets the contract gets a Cruiserweight title shot the next night on Nitro. It's such typical WCW in three regards :

(1) Using a PPV match to build to one you're giving away for free.

(2) Booking teams when there is only an individual reward (see War Games '98).

(3) Asking the talent to make tags in a ladder match.

.... but yeah, it gets good.

The two factions did have a 3 vs 3 ladder match at New Blood Rising, which was to follow up on one they had on Nitro that went about 3 and a half minutes. That's right - a three minute ladder match. Fucking pointless.

I remember absolutely hating the Jung Dragons/3 Count series during the dying days of WCW, despite a lot of people heralding it as one of the remaining high points of a dying company. To me it was the beginning of the move from the exceptional Cruiserweight style of wrestling they'd produced from 96-99 to what would eventually become the X-Division and every other cruiserweight indy match. Sloppy, fake looking shit.

• Paid Members
I remember absolutely hating the Jung Dragons/3 Count series during the dying days of WCW, despite a lot of people heralding it as one of the remaining high points of a dying company. To me it was the beginning of the move from the exceptional Cruiserweight style of wrestling they'd produced from 96-99 to what would eventually become the X-Division and every other cruiserweight indy match. Sloppy, fake looking shit.

I completely agree. I hate those matches and they're always clogging up WWE compilations whenever they can shoe-horn them in. They're shite.

Fenix and Drago are probably two of the more entertaining guys in AAA really. If I had Drago on my roster I'd push him to the fucking moon. He's a dragon who comes out swinging nunchucks, if that's not main event material than I dunno what is. There's something quite likable about Fenix too, even if I'm not entirely sure what it is.

Aye, Drago is definitely the best of the midcard flyers. He

Archived