First, worst, best, last

JNLister

Great idea for a topic

First Match - was Robbie Brookside Vs Jorge Castano - TWA Bournemouth BIC 2002 - Had only seen an advert for British Wrestling in passing and remember being massively excited to go. I dont remember much from the match apart from enjoying it due to being hyped about the show.

Worst Match - Has to be a tag team tables match that I recently saw in southampton for Grade 1 Wrestling. I cant remember the competitiors but they were all pretty much untrained, unsafe and out of shape. The worst show I have ever seen as well

Best Match - this is a hard one as 10 years has created so many great live matches for me but Im pretty sure it would have been at IPW:UK during my university days. Andy Simmons vs JC Thunder springs to mind not for the in ring action, although the psychology and story of the match were top notch. Everyone in the room knew the storyline was 100% behind JC thunder and the place went nuts for his title win with a fan celebration in the ring.

Last Match - Jonny Storm Vs Wade fitzgerald Premier Bournemouth in April fantastic match

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First match: Big Show vs Chris Benoit. Opener at a Smackdown house show in Sheffield Arena in May 2003. I mainly remember how close I was to the ring, and thinking back on now, considering how much I enjoyed this show I've never done another WWE house show. There were some really good match up's on there like Matt Hardy vs Jamie Noble, Sean O'Haire (I was a big fan at the time) vs Tajiri, A-Train vs Spanky, Lesnar vs Cena, WGTT vs Rey/Rhino. I didn't do another show until 1PW's No Turning Back weekend in January 2006 seen as Bret Hart, Jerry Lynn, and a whole load of TNA guys were ten minutes away from my house. So my very first "indy" match was Jerry Lynn vs Petey Williams.

Worst match: Considering I've seen some crap wrestlers on shows held in working mens clubs, nothing is jumping out at me at being overwhelmingly the worst match I have ever seen. The bad stuff I've seen has only been on the level of being completely forgettable.

Best match: Shingo Takagi vs Susumu Yokosuka III on DG UK's last tour. Absolutely fantastic match and still holds up on DVD.

Last match: El Ligero vs Ego Dragon last week in Nottingham for Southside Wrestling. Great and insane main event as these two destroyed chairs, guard rails and even the ring.

First match: Edge vs Batista - RAW Tour of Defiance Birmingham 2004 - pretty great opener - with Batista doing lots of things that you wouldn't see him do on tv - i.e. rolling Perfect Necksnap - pretty much at the start of Batista's rise to popularity - and interesting how many more high profile WHC matches the two had in later years...

Worst match: There was some pretty dismal stuff at an All Star show I went to but the crowd were into in and I understood what they were going for - so that gets a pass. Can't really think of any really actively bad matches, but the worst thing I've ever seen live was at the Enfield Leisure Centre FWA show in 2005, with Dr Feelgood and a sofa - absolutely awful!

Best match: For the relatively few number of shows I've been to, I've been very lucky to see so many great and diverse wrestling styles and matches. From the Kobashi tag at Universal Uproar, the Danielson tag at Noah 2008, to Flair/Michaels at the previously mentioned Birmingham show, and Bourne/Richards v Briscoes and the DGUK show at Broxbourne in 2010 which was just loaded with great stuff. However I will have to go with Daniels/Styles from TWC Showdown for just an awesome spectacle with a second row seat with a molten crowd. Just a fantastic all round experience and I believe this is the favourite for both wrestlers in their series...

Last match: El Generico vs Babyface Pitbull - PBW October 2011 - great match with Generico wiping a fan out with a somersault tope and using my other half's handbag as a foriegn object!

First - Orig Williams WWF impersonators show around 1999/2000. I seem to remember the first match involving an X-Pac fella accompanied by a fake Tori facing a rip off Hardy boy called Steve Hardy or something like that. Fantastic stuff.

Worst - I saw an absolutely horrendous Allstar show in 2006. One decent match which was about ten minutes after me and my mate were almost out of the door which made the show not a complete waste of time.

Best - Rey Mysterio vs Cody Rhodes at Liverpool Echo Arena, April 2011. This was a solid match and arguably better than their Mania offering. The match fully sold me on Cody Rhodes and it was the first time I had seen Mysterio in action which was a pleasure to watch. Bobby Roode vs Samoa Joe from Manchester Arena in January would be a joint best but only falls into second place as the result was a dead cert compared to Rey vs Cody.

Last - Hulk Hogan, Sting & James Storm vs Kurt Angle, Bully Ray & Bobby Roode. A real treat to see. Oh I saw a BWP match last actually.

• Paid Members
First - Orig Williams WWF impersonators show around 1999/2000. I seem to remember the first match involving an X-Pac fella accompanied by a fake Tori facing a rip off Hardy boy called Steve Hardy or something like that. Fantastic stuff.

Llandudno? I was at that one too.

• Paid Members

First Lincoln Drill Hall from either late 78 or early 79. Dont remember the very first match but do remember a Daddy tag, and Alan Dennison

Worst I have seen some shite in my time and whilst the aformentioned Corino vs Snow from 1PW remains the only time I have ever gone to sleep during a match, the worst is Titan XG1 and Spatch vs Chris Hamrick and Tracey Smothers for BRAWL. No redeeming qualities and as pissed off as the crowd were no one was a pissed as Hamrick and Smothers at having to work with those 2 jokers

Best. Shingo Takagi vs Susumu Yokosuka III on DG UK's last tour. Just mental. It is not very often in these days when we as fans know so much that you can totally get into a match. I am not ashamed to say that I completely lost my shit during this match, especially the last 10 minutes. About as close to a religious experience as a non believer like myself is ever likely to get.

Last El Ligero vs Ego Dragon for Southside. Cracking street fight, If you get chance to go to a southside show you should. They are excellent and everyone gives 100%

First: Paul London vs Billy Kidman vs Chavo Guerrero vs Spike Dudley at a Smackdown house show in the old Point Theatre in Dublin in 2005.Only thing I can remember about it was London's 450 splash finisher,and his boots with the Warrior-esque streamers.

Worst: Was a no DQ match on a local show held in a comedy club in Dublin a good few years back that also featured Sheamus and Drew Galloway,can't remember the names of the two lads who were wrestling,but at one stage one of them tried to do a moonsault from the bar but hit his legs on the very low roof on the follow through and landed square on his head,he was very lucky to walk away from it un-injured.

Best: Rey Mysterio vs Eddie Guerrero at the Smackdown Summer Bash outdoor show in the RDS Dublin in June 2005.Was just an incredible match with a brilliant atmosphere,also helped that I had seats in the front row!

Last: Edge vs Jack Swagger in April 2010.Was a pretty average match with a crap DQ finish.Most memorable part was Edge encouraging all the little kids in the crowd to chant ''Speech Impediment'' at Swagger before the match.

Only been to one wrestling show, a Raw house show in April 2005. First match was a World Tag Team title match, Tajiri/Regal vs La Resistance. I remember being surprised with Regal considering his reputation for being stiff, but I could see a lot of light on his punches. The worst match from that card was Val Venis vs. Chris Masters. It wasn't terrible, but Masters was still super green at that point. The best match was the Intercontinental title match between Christian and Shelton Benjamin, which was very similar to their Survivor Series 2004 match. The last match was the main event of Triple H & Ric Flair vs. Batista and Chris Benoit. Most memorable here was HHH being as far away from PG as possible in his pre-match promo, I'll never forget him saying, "I'll have you deported, you terrorist cunt," to a Muslim audience member. :omg:

Thinking about picking up tickets to the next Raw show in August, just for the hell of it. I've enjoyed a fair bit of WWE lately.

Nah, Rhyl. Did you see faux Undertaker vs faux Mankind too?

• Paid Members

Nah, Rhyl. Did you see faux Undertaker vs faux Mankind too?

I remember Orig on the house mic encouraging eveyone to chant, 'Mankind, Mankind' while the crowd were happy enough doing 'Foley, Foley, Foley'.

I missed out on Summerslam 92 but caught the WCW Main Event tour in March 93 and felt a part of history on the night when Sting one the world title from Vader it was a bit of a letdown to find out a few days later he lost it back to him in Ireland. But I can still remeber buzzing with excitement on the night and trying to explain to my dad how monumental this was and him not really giving a fuck. Other memories are the crowd before chanting they used to toot a horn.

TOOT, TOOT, TOOT BULLDOG! Anyway checked a site and the fisrt match was Paul Orndorff WCW tv champ versus Michael Hayes

Best Match: Tricky one becuase with the bigger companies you always feel, especially these days you are basically paying to just see them appear and the quality of matches can't compare. As mentioned seeing Sting win the world title was a highlight. That same year saw Bulldog and Flair v Vader and Rude at the Albert Hall for the Halloween Havoc Tour which was good. And to see Hogan v Flair in 94 felt special but those matches were more about seeing the people invoved than the actual matches. AJ v Daniels v Joe at 1pw should get a special mention becasue how over they were with the crowd and then it was announced as a x title match was a real exciting atmosphere. LDRS v Pac and Haskins on the last 1pw show was good and watching Noam Dar gets seven shades of shit knocked out of him by Kid Kash.

Worst match. LDN card in Whitham essex, a rumble won by Jason Sensation. Included a trainee who looked about 9 who had Steve Austin transfer tattoos. Also saw a LDN trainee card where they only had 2 ropes for the ring which some what limited the action and was embarrassing to be there watching. Smackdown Warrior (Mason Ryan) v Barbarian gets a special mention. And a six man tag on a Hammerlock card last year that had Cabana on the card. It might be Kaitlyn v Maxine but went to get a beer as soon as the bell rang. Only ever walked out of one card though and that was a Smackdown house show in 2009 during a Carlito match waste of time.

Last Match: This is progress 2 out of 3 falls Scurll v Cruz.

• Paid Members
That same year saw Bulldog and Flair v Vader and Rude at the Albert Hall for the Halloween Havoc Tour which was good.

That's the afternoon show right? When they added that, I was tempted to go to it as well as the evening show, but was scared it would turn out to be exactly the same as the evening show and I'd be all depressed about wrestling being fake. I actually phoned up the box office and asked if it would be the same matches, but they unsurprisingly didn't have a clue.

Worst match. LDN card in Whitham essex, a rumble won by Jason Sensation. Included a trainee who looked about 9 who had Steve Austin transfer tattoos. Also saw a LDN trainee card where they only had 2 ropes for the ring which some what limited the action and was embarrassing to be there watching. Smackdown Warrior (Mason Ryan) v Barbarian gets a special mention. And a six man tag on a Hammerlock card last year that had Cabana on the card. It might be Kaitlyn v Maxine but went to get a beer as soon as the bell rang. Only ever walked out of one card though and that was a Smackdown house show in 2009 during a Carlito match waste of time.

Last Match: This is progress 2 out of 3 falls Scurll v Cruz.

That 6 man at Hammerlock was just shockingly bad and given soooooo much time. I literally hung around for Cabana and then left at intermission. I have never left another wrestling show early like that out of choice.

Also had an equally bad LDN experience recently at a Braintree show, I was bored to tears and cringing but the Mrs though it would be nice to take me to a wrestling show on my birthday weekend and it was the only one running that weekend. I think even she realised the mistake she had made in hindsight and why I have never been to their shows previously when I regularly attend british events. Nice thought though bless her.

First Match: I honestly can't remember the exact match, infact I'm not even sure of the show. Its either (quite sure its this one) a Premier promotions show at the Martlets in Burgess Hill, I randomly remember one guy called Jace the Ace, with army trousers and nothing else other than everyone who had already wrestled coming out at the end for a royal rumble. Or its a show that ran at the Triangle Leisure centre in burgess hill, no idea of the promotion but it feature Earthquake and the bushwackers. I remember Robbie Brookside recieving many "jesus" chants and tombstoning someone onto a rubber bone.

Best Match: I have been pretty spoilt, if we were including major shows it would have to be Undertaker vs Triple H from this years mania. Excluding that I would have to go with the 6 man tag match from the very first Dragon Gate UK show in Oxford 2009, featuring, PAC & the Young Bucks along with the DG:UK regulars. That show as my first taste of Dragon Gate and that main even left me and my mate completely breathless. I will never forget the electricity in the air and the standing ovation at the end of the match.

Honarable mentions to Daisuke Sekimoto vs El Generico from wXw 16 carat 2011 and I also remember Pac & Haskins vs Leaders from IPW:UK 6 anniversary show being a cracker. My memory could be giving these higher praise than they are due to be fair.

Worst Match: I have been fairly lucky and not seen many stinkers. as mentioned at the top of my post the Hammerlock show with the 6 man Dropkixx academy tag match has to take the biscuit, utter garbage that slowed time and embarassed me for being there. I could have possibly seen worse when younger and been completely oblivious.

Another match that I found a total bore to sit through is the supposed "classic" between Shawn Michaels & Cena at earls court in 2007. Another match that slowed time, rest hold, rest hold, ad break, few signature moves and repeat for nearly an hour.

Last Match: Marty Scurll vs Nathan Cruz 2 out of 3 falls at Progress Chapter Two.

Checked online and it was the matinee. After finding out there were two shows that day always figured I'd seen the later show because was right on the aisle and the wrestlers stunk like circus animals especially the Nasties. Still have photos from it one of Rude mid bump from a backdrop he got some real height. Will see if I can scan some of the photos on here in a few days.

Archived