TNA Destination X 2012 discussion *SPOILERS*

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Last year's show did a shit buyrate (8,000 to 8,500), though only about 500 lower than Slammiversary which had Angle and Sting both working. So it was shit and did nothing to boost business, but it wasn't like it was a significant detriment either. In fact, chances are it was far more profitable given the talent payoffs.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Who wants to watch Angle vs Sting for the 800th time? That's as stale and as samey as Daniels vs AJ Styles. My point is this is the first PPV where he hasn't wrestled a Sting, Jeff Hardy, RVD or a former partner with a ready made storyline. They've just come off their biggest buyrate in sometime (granted which wasn't up to much either). What I'm saying is, it might be to different of a combination in the main event to keep people interested in buying the next PPV.

As I said, I hope I'm wrong (even though if the buyrate is back down to 8,000, that doesn't necessarily mean its Aries fault either). I personally am far more interested in Roode vs Aries than Hardy, RVD or Sting vs Roode, because at the very least it'll deliver in the ring.

In the year 2012, does anyone really care about TNA's buyrate !!!!!111111.

TNA's popularity should be measured in merch sales, worldwide views and house show sales. However if Aries/Roode doesn't give a better buyrate than 8k i'd be suprised because Aries has been untouchable similar to Roode.

• Paid Members

TNA's popularity should be measured in merch sales, worldwide views and house show sales.

If 1.5 million people watch Impact and don't care enough to buy the hyped matches on PPV that those episodes of Impact are dedicated to, why would they care to spend money on a ticket to a house show and if they aren't going to the house shows, they aren't buying shirts at the gimmick table. A strong PPV business shows that your televised audience are willing to pay to see you as well as watch your free TV shows. Probably one of the reasons TNA's live events have never done strong domestic business and their PPVs have never done good business either.

And I'm sure Lister or myself don't care what these PPVs do as far as personal enjoyment goes. It doesn't hurt my enjoyment of it as a fan. But thats not what we are discussed here. The fact is, though, if someone isn't doing well, trigger happy bookers aren't scared to pull the plug on your favourite wrestlers push. So for my continued enjoyment, I hope my favourites wrestlers do well for business to keep my enjoyment.

Maybe this needs a thread of its own but..........

What does TNA/Impact need to do to kick onto the next level up.

They seem to finally have their house in order as regards their tv, which has been consistently solid for about 2 months now.

What do they need to do to get eyes on their tv and increase their PPV buys?

It seems they have a solid/loyal but limited fanbase and the ratings reflect that.

How can they expand upon that?

Also , does anybody know what's the best/worst tv rating they have done and same for PPV buys.

Lister, I am looking at you ;)

They need to keep going in the same direction as they have been for the past 12 months.

Lister will know better, but I understand the house show numbers are up, doing solid crowds and bringing in the money. They've been learning about taking Impact! on the road, and generally their production is better and smarter than it was. They've been establishing young, headlining stars on their roster, as well as reinvigorating old faces, and making the most of their marquee names like Hogan.

The Impact! ratings look like they'll stabilise back to their normal numbers following the move to the earlier timeslot. Their TV product is selling well overseas, and helping to build a great international audience, as evidenced the the large crowds they're getting on overseas tours.

Finally, they're putting on a compelling product that seems to be winning over new viewers. It won't happen overnight, but if they continue with their slow and measured build, hopefully they can rebuild their PPV numbers; cutting down to 6 a year seems likely and would definitely help.

I'm not sure what "the next level" is. I'd say if in the next 12 months they can get solid 10 to 20 thousand on normal ppvs, with maybe 30,000 for BFG and Slammiversary, they'd be very happy. And if they can get their tv ratings up to 1.5 on a regular basis, Spike will be happy.

• Paid Members

My theory is that the vast majority of TNA fans are hardcore "smarky" wrestling fans who spend a shit load of time on the internet doing wrestling stuff and the vast majority of those fans know how to watch ppvs for free. TNA doesn't seem to have the casual/family audience WWE does, it's more the 14-21 year old dedicated wrestling fan audience. Y'know, the people who know about streams and torrents.

It's a shame but looking back at 1997 Raws there is some excellent stuff there but it would only be the next year when the ratings show a difference. It may take time but hopefully they'll show. Like the person above me said, it is difficult with torrents and streams available now but hopefully TNA can show enough consistency and appreciation for those hardcore fans by producing a product worth caring about that people will be nice and actually pay for it, tune in etc.

• Paid Members
Unless they do some serious rebuilding of the X-Division anyone who's the champion and doesn't take the shot would look like an utter cretin and/or coward. I also can't see them building up a once-in-a-year concept only for the guy at the end to say "nah, no thanks" no matter how they tried to spin it. I think you're pretty much guaranteed that if the concept still exists you'll be seeing the X Division champion challenging for the World Title every year. But as someone suggested I think that'll probably mean a top level guy winning the belt before the cut-off rather than Xema Ion main eventing.

From a heel perspective wouldn't it make sense though.

Cowardly heel has X Title, keeps it instead of going for the World because it's an easier task for him. It'd make him a lot more hated if booked right.

Much in the same vain, why would someone who is the personification of high flying and wants to be a part of the best junior division in America (because by then WWE will have its Cruiserweight show I would imagine) trade it in for one match with a 6 foot 10 monster or something along those lines.

It actually means TNA would need to give the X Division a lot more of a character as a whole, people will actually be built up, its kinda like 2004 again.

And if it comes to it AJ or Daniels or someone like that wins the Gold just before July next year, we know how that'll turn out. That itself could be an important enough storyline, wanting the gold, so having to go through a whole extra division to get to it.

There are plenty of other storylines via which they can push the title shot option too, such as a feud so vicious and personal, the champion doesn't want the world title shot because he wants to get his hands on the challenger so badly, or perhaps a "who's really the champ?" storyline. Or how about a feud where a challenger attacks and injures the champion, preventing him from going for the title shot at the PPV?

TNA's popularity should be measured in merch sales, worldwide views and house show sales.

If 1.5 million people watch Impact and don't care enough to buy the hyped matches on PPV that those episodes of Impact are dedicated to, why would they care to spend money on a ticket to a house show and if they aren't going to the house shows, they aren't buying shirts at the gimmick table. A strong PPV business shows that your televised audience are willing to pay to see you as well as watch your free TV shows. Probably one of the reasons TNA's live events have never done strong domestic business and their PPVs have never done good business either.

And I'm sure Lister or myself don't care what these PPVs do as far as personal enjoyment goes. It doesn't hurt my enjoyment of it as a fan. But thats not what we are discussed here. The fact is, though, if someone isn't doing well, trigger happy bookers aren't scared to pull the plug on your favourite wrestlers push. So for my continued enjoyment, I hope my favourites wrestlers do well for business to keep my enjoyment.

TNA should run Bound For Glory and perhaps create their birthday celebration season from Lockdown to Slammiversary and chuck the other PPVs.

Without spoilers it seems obvious that Aries won't win, and as has been mentioned the other matches aren't big pullers and with poor buyrates is it worth running?

I suppose by "next level" I do mean something like regular 1.5 or 2.0's in the ratings.

I reckon going all out to sign someone like Rey Mysterio could be pivotal for them.

Isn't his contract up with WWE this year? If he could split his time working for AAA then it would half the costs. Surely a reduced schedule would be something he would be interested in himself.

Rey sells merchandise and attracts the kids. If they could afford him then Rey Mysterio would be someone that could be a game changer for them.

Btw I do hate that "game changer" expression too.

Just putting that out there.

Jeff hardy sells merch and attracts the females/kids demographic to the point he was top 2-3 in shirt sales in wwe (im pretty sure i read that on here) that hasnt traslated into all those people jumping across to tna to watch him... So what makes you think all those kids will jump across to watch rey?

• Paid Members
Also , does anybody know what's the best/worst tv rating they have done and same for PPV buys

Biggest PPV appears to have been the first Joe-Angle match with 60,000. Worst would be 7-8,000 on quite a few occasions over the past year or so.

All time worst TV ratings were around a 0.3 when they were on Fox Sports Net. Since going on Spike, the lowest was a 0.56 (four weeks into going completely head to head with Raw) while the highest was a 1.45 the first week they were on Monday (when they did a three-hour show and debuted a bunch of guys.)

The brief Monday Night Wars aside, any week to week variation they've had has been pretty minor -- something like 80-90% of the time in the past six years it's been in the 1.0-1.2 range.

There aren't really enough house shows these days to give any real trends, and the few shows they do vary quite a bit in attendance. That said, over the past year or two when they go to a place they've run before, you most often hear of the crowds being down, and it's a bit early to say if that's turning around the same as the PPV buys seem to be doing. The big story is losing Don West as in the US at least house shows have been more about selling merchandise and autograph/photo sessions than making money by attracting big crowds.

Archived