The Olympic / Paralympic Games

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Probably a good time to start this thread with this news having just been released:-

David Beckham stunned after missing out on selection for the Team GB Olympic football squad

David Beckham has revealed that he has failed to make the cut for the Team GB Olympic football squad.

It was widely expected that the former England captain, who played a central role in London's bid to stage the Olympics, would be selected.

The LA Galaxy player was named in coach Stuart Pearce's preliminary 35-man squad, but missed out when the roster was cut to 18 players.

In a statement, Beckham said: "Everyone knows how much playing for my country has always meant to me. So I would have been honored to have been part of this unique Team GB squad."

The 37-year-old added: "Naturally I am very disappointed, but there will be no bigger supporter of the team than me. And like everyone, I will be hoping they can win the gold.

"As a Londoner I was really proud to have played a small part in bringing the Olympics to my home town as part of Seb's [Coe] team and I can't wait for the Games to begin and will enjoy every moment along with the rest of Great Britain."

The squad of 18 will be announced next week, with the British Olympic Association issuing a statement following Beckham's comments.

It read: "With respect to men's football, the BOA has not yet received from the FA the list of players who are being nominated for Team GB, so we cannot confirm who is, and is not, under consideration for the side. We are expecting the list no later than the early part of next week."

Beckham's omission is a surprise, but suggests Pearce is picking a team based on football reasons.

Beckham played a significant role in London winning the bid to host this summer's Games, while he has consistently been rolled out at high profile events, including the lighting of the Olympic flame.

It was thought he would be picked in honour of this role, and also for the inevitable commercial benefits of including the world famous footballer.

Yet at 37-years-old, and plying his trade in the American MLS with LA Galaxy, questions over his on field contribution would undoubtedly have been asked.

Pearce is able to pick three players over the age of 23. It is thought that Beckham's former Manchester United team-mate Ryan Giggs, Liverpool striker Craig Bellamy and Manchester City's Micah Richards are the three 'over-age' players who will be selected.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympic...ad-7896271.html

Olympic football is shit but this is a really stupid decision. Still, never mind, at least we get Micah Richards instead!

I could have sworn we had an Olympics thread already.

• Paid Members

Becks wouldn't be able to handle it surely? The schedule pretty much asks for the gold/silver/bronze teams to play 6 games in like 3 weeks at most. Beckham's 37, been injury dogged the past few years and nowhere near the player he used to be, on the other hand Giggs is still as good as he was in recent years and seems in ok fitness. We need to take a secure striker and defender with experience as well (though I'd of preferred the likes of McGregor in goal as an over 23) but with 18 places available, all players should be expected to play every game.

He made a massive contribution to the bid, but if a 100m runner ran 12 seconds but was picked for the GB squad through contribution merit, the amount of uproar would be ridiculous.

I still expect him to go as part of Pearce's coaching staff though.

And here is the song that Muse have done for the Olympics, which will be used in the international coverage, during the opening ceremony, and before medal ceremonies...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt__jKWoYH8

It's terrible I think. And please tell me I'm not the only one who started singing 'I see a little silhouette of a man, Scaramouche scaramouche' at the piano bit a minute in.

I loved Bellamy but he is surely a liability and not the type of player I would like representing Great Britain at the Olympics as he will no doubt abuse refs constantly and possibly kick someone Joey Barton style off the ball

Becks being left out makes perfect sense to me, I dont get the uproar

i dont mind becks being left out. my issue is with richards being picked after refusing to be on standby for england at the euros. surely you want a player whos passionate about your country playing.

• Paid Members
i dont mind becks being left out. my issue is with richards being picked after refusing to be on standby for england at the euros. surely you want a player whos passionate about your country playing.

Except it's Great Britain not England.

Same thing.

• Paid Members

have you thought perhaps he did this so he could represent his country? If it was obvious he was going to be behind Johnson and perhaps even Jones, staying out of the squad so that he is still eligible for the Olympics means he can be a starter for the GB squad.

It potentially could be a really clever move for him, he's going to be a main 11 player, if it wasn't for Giggs in the squad there could be a call for him to Captain it, he's a decent enough leader.

• Paid Members

I'm gutted for Beckham to miss out. He worked his ass off for the Olympic bid and a lot of the tickets sold for the Olympic football will have been because people expected to see Becks play. It's a shit decision from a commercial and PR perspective. Have to admit that my interest in watching the GB team play has just reduced by about half. I'm not buying the 'football reasons' line in this case. The Olympics isn't serious business as far as the football goes. It's just a laugh, innit.

Also very confused as to why Bellamy would be selected, given his track record of being a badly behaved little cunt.

• Moderators

Bellamy's probably been selected because, you know, he's one of the best British footballers not gone to Poland/Ukraine. His behaviour has been more than fine over the past couple of years as well.

Archived