The mental weather thread 2012

Up Chuck

• Paid Members

Because what would a forum with "UK" in its name be without some natter about the weather?

The missus and I witnessed a pretty great storm while we were out shopping earlier. It'd been rumbling on for about five minutes, then when we were looking round a charity shop, there was a massive crash not far off, and the lights in the shop went off for a few seconds. After that, we walked past an Iceland and saw all the staff standing round looking at the presumably-now-fucked freezers, pulling their "Oh shit what do we do now" faces. The rain started to come down a bit more, so we took refuge in Boots just in time to avoid an absolute cascade of rain. Our timing was even better than we first thought, as we got front-row seats for watching the Sainsbury's across the road descend into chaos as water started gushing into the shop from somewhere (presumably a drain of some sort, because it was distinctly brown and slushy in some places).

We decided to get home when the rain died down in case it started up again. The roads were drowned by this point. Our bus was going relatively slow, but still managing to send water all the way up the windscreens of cars at junctions. We went past one junction where the corner of the road we passed, the pavement next to it, the drive of the house on the corner and from what we could see most of their back garden was completely submerged under the same body of water. It was lapping up at their garage door. Everything inside there on the floor would've been absolutely ruined.

Also been hearing multiple people talking about a flooded hospital and a sodding TORNADO over Loughborough. What's everyone else seen/heard/been nearly swept away by?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awesome beautiful glorious sunshine. Off to a barbeque in a bit.

Same. Shorts, beater, been to a car boot. Fucking glorious. It's still hot enough right now that the dog's alternating between the garden and the shade in the living room.

My Spanish class has just been cancelled as the tutor is stranded in traffic in Newcastle, and my facebook feed is rammed with people whose public transport home has been kiboshed. Worst summer I can remember, complete washout. We're due one hell of an October, now!

• Paid Members
My Spanish class has just been cancelled as the tutor is stranded in traffic in Newcastle, and my facebook feed is rammed with people whose public transport home has been kiboshed. Worst summer I can remember, complete washout. We're due one hell of an October, now!

You wanna see my Twitter feed. Each and every tweet is a tweet or a photo of it!

• Paid Members

Been miserable in Nottingham for the best part of the day. We've had sporadic thunder and lightning since about 11am, though the sun has just this minute poked it's head out of the clouds. Even with the bad weather earlier, it's been bastard hot all day.

I've a couple of mates in Cork who tell me that it might sink by the time night comes around. No bad thing really.

• Paid Members

Nice and sunny here now as well. Amazing thinking about how apocalyptic things were looking earlier. However, BBC News have just tweeted that both railways connecting England and Scotland have been blocked by landslides, so some lasting damage has been done.

EDIT: A well-timed video from up north.

Archived