What if pro wrestling were real...?

pmy008

Right, so real fighting having fight of the nights is fine, but fake fights doing it (just like their real equivalent) is smarky bollocks?

Think that's kinda bullshit, personally, but there ya go.

Are you thick? Well I know you are so I won't ask again, but if you were to do it in pro wrestling it would turn into people trying to get their shit in or do silly things and in that time ruin it for everyone.

Who's the better wrestler? Arn Anderson or Jack Evans? I know who's better, and I also know who'd win the prize. And that's why it's fucking stupid.

Hee, bless.

Depends on the crowd really, come on it's not like we don't discuss motn on here, different people like different things (I'd generally prefer something arn anderson like, as it goes, but then some like evans, valid point).

And really, how retarded are you to think that some variation of this doesn't already occur? Those garnering alot of reaction get noticed, get bumped up the card, I realise it's booked to build up to the main event, but to say people aren't trying to steal the show on the lower matches is kinda retarded, even for you. That's how wrestling works, letting fans have a wee vote and a bonus going to the match they liked the most is just an extension of what already happens.

Read jr's blogs, he's always saying the lower card guys need to do everything they can to stand out, to get people talking about their match, to draw people to the point they'd be put in the main event (but hey, what does jr know?, certainly not close to your knowledge).

I know you like to pop up and argue with me and stuff, and kudos, I'm ever so impressed, it's just on this, you're being a dick.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if anyone has already said this but if there were to be a real winner and a real loser that means you turn a match where the wrestlers work together to put on an entertaining match and PROTECT EACH OTHER into a competition where one of them would be willing to let someone almost kill themselves so they dont gain any points for a high spot. Imagine a whole card full of spots like the Miz bailing on catching R-Truth and letting him smack his head on the concrete.

If you don't change anything about how wrestling works when it essentially relies on teamwork in the ring yet want to play them off against each other for points you end a lot of careers and even lives.

I could only see this working if it was only used to decide time-limit draws, much like MMA. Used in kayfabe, points would be awarded using a system like a pro wrestling version of freestyle rules (points for throws, takedowns, control, strikes, etc). Doing Meltzer ratings on the fly, however, would be a very, very bad idea.

I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if anyone has already said this but if there were to be a real winner and a real loser that means you turn a match where the wrestlers work together to put on an entertaining match and PROTECT EACH OTHER into a competition where one of them would be willing to let someone almost kill themselves so they dont gain any points for a high spot. Imagine a whole card full of spots like the Miz bailing on catching R-Truth and letting him smack his head on the concrete.

If you don't change anything about how wrestling works when it essentially relies on teamwork in the ring yet want to play them off against each other for points you end a lot of careers and even lives.

You've missed the point, or I have. In this lad's scenario, Miz and R-Truth are on the same team. And they are competing against Trent Baretta vs JTG from Superstars, Ryback vs Two Jobbers, AJ and Punk vs Bryan and Beth Phoenix, Kofi vs Jericho, and Cena vs Big Show and Tensai. During the match, Miz and Truth act like they hate each other but then at the end of the show when Meltzer comes out to decide the winning match, they're like this:

xfac1MOS0812_468x293.jpg

• Paid Members

Wrestling shows aren't a fair shake for everyone on the card, because what makes pro wrestling good is the pacing and what your take of a good wrestling match is. There is a reason why you never see 8 five star matches on WWE, even though they have a roster who could tear it up at will. For example, if Shawn Michaels suddenly fancied doing a Samoan Muscle Buster thingy on a PPV, then poor Ryback is fucked because he has to find something else to do, because he's not outshining the big stars. Its like, what is a good performance? If Kurt Angle and Daniel Bryan have a four star match and The Great Khali and Lanny Poffo have a three star match, what is the better match? Angle and Bryan could probably have a four star bout in their sleep, where as a three star match featuring Leapin' Lanny and the Great Khali is more or less a miracle. If I masturbate to a bikini contest featuring Sable and Torrie Wilson, is that a better match than me buying the t-shirt based on a match I just watched with a debuting Seth Rollins? Wrestling is so subjective, because its entertainment. It isn't real, it shouldn't be real and if it was real, three quarters of the wrestlers wouldn't have jobs.

This thread is quite insane, anyway. I'm off to have a wank over the Sable/Torrie bikini contest.

Amusingly enough CMLL has somewhat tried something like this recently. They picked young guys to have singles matches against each other, and after each match a group of judges would award them points based on what they did during the match and then the could vote for their favourites online. Obviously bits of it were worked, or at least seemed to be. Ultimately the fans kinda ballsed things up by not voting for the chap who was about to become Mistico. Which isn't too bad because that's going to bomb anyway. But imagine if you're watcing the WWWE, unless you hate yourself you're watching it for the stories, the drama amd the characters as much, if not more so, than the wrestling. Now imagine if every angle they do could be fucked up by fans or judges who think so and so is shit. You'd never get anywhere. You'd lose any sense of direction. Wrestling's bad enough for dropped storylines as it is. I'm out.

Archived